Cowtipper

Re: Guess that Met

Post by Cowtipper » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:34 pm

Hint: New day, new hints added above.
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:07 pm

Hints added below!

1. Before a game in June 2011, when was the only other Mets game to end on a hit by pitch with the Mets winning?

Hint: The date could be considered a combination of Ron Swoboda's number and Mike Baxter's number. The year was one in which the Mets went 72-90.
Hint: The date could also be considered a combination of Francisco Alvarez's number and David Peterson's number. The year was one in which the Mets were managed by Jeff Torborg.
Hint: The date could also be considered a combination of the number of doubles David Wright hit in 2005 (and 2007, and 2008) and the number of shutouts RA Dickey threw in 2012. That year, Bobby Bonilla led the team with 19 dingers.
Hint: On that date in Mets history (though not the year), the Mets won their first game ever. That year, Sid Fernandez led the club with 14 wins.
Hint: Might also be considered a combination of Ron Hodges' number and Bud Harrelson's number. That year, Bobby Bonilla and Eddie Murray debuted for the team.
Hint: For the first part of the date, the month, take 2 and square it. For the second part, the day, consider prime numbers in conjunction with the hints above. For the year, "Jump" by Kriss Kross peaked at Number 1 that year. If you can't get the question after these hints, well that's wiggity-wiggity whack.
Hint: The first part of the date, the month as it were, can be derived through simple arithmetic, 2+2, perhaps. The second part, the day, can be solved by subtracting 77 from 100. The year can be solved by taking the square root of 169, multiplying it by 1/2 the number of years in a millennium, then adding 25^2 to that, then by multiplying 4 by one (United States) octillion, dividing that answer by two, then dividing it by two again, then subtracting 10^27 from that, then adding that to the previous answer you got after the 25^2 instruction, then dividing the new answer by three, then subtracting ((8*2*6*4)-1).
Hint: The first part of the date, the month, is the same as the number of years Pedro Martinez spent with New York. The day is the same as the number of years former Met Willie Mays spent in MLB, per Baseball Reference. The year is the same as the number of plate appearances Jeff Kent had with New York.

--originally posted by "m8644"

2. I got the first Met save that year
I thought my career was gonna soar
But then I had a few bad outings
And the Mets showed me the door

Who am I?

Hint: Pitched for the Mets in 2011.
Hint: Nicknamed "Grande Rojo."
Hint: Debuted for the Braves in 2005, finished with the Royals in 2018.
Hint: Went 0-2, 10.80 in 5 games for New York.
Hint: Image

--originally posted by "Joe Rigatoni"

3. I appeared in exactly as many games
For the Mets as I had at-bats with them
Striking out over half the time, though
It's no secret I was never thought of as a gem.

Which Met am I?

Hint: Played for the Mets in 1995.
Hint: Also played for the Rockies in 1998 and 1999.
Hint: Involved in this trade: "December 9, 1991: Traded by the Montreal Expos to the New York Mets for Blaine Beatty."
Hint: Also involved in this trade: "December 15, 1995: Traded by the New York Mets to the San Diego Padres for Pedro Martínez."

--originally posted by "milladrive"

4. I played from '71 to '74.
After that, they said, "no more."
I played hard, busted my arse
But was traded for a guy name Scarce

Who am I?

Hint: Debuted for the Mets in 1971.
Hint: Was involved in this trade: "March 31, 1971: Traded by the Montreal Expos to the New York Mets for Rich Hacker and Ron Swoboda."
Hint: Also involved in this trade: "December 3, 1974: Traded by the New York Mets with Tug McGraw and Dave Schneck to the Philadelphia Phillies for Mac Scarce, John Stearns and Del Unser."
Hint: His first and last name rhymed.

5. My only year I was with the team
No postseason room was there for me
Tried to play elsewhere to chase my dream
After two years nothing left to see

This was added later:

I played in '69
I played in '71
No postseason spot was mine
Then my career was done

Who Am I?

Hint: I was involved in this trade: "May 26, 1970: the New York Mets sent this player to the Philadelphia Phillies to complete an earlier deal made on April 10, 1970. April 10, 1970: The New York Mets sent a player to be named later to the Philadelphia Phillies for Ron Allen."
Hint: Hint 0 home runs in 211 ABs for New York in 1969.
Hint: Had a German surname.

Running tally of correct guessers:

Johnny Lunchbucket: 91
Edgy MD: 86
stevejrogers: 56
batmagadanleadoff: 25
DocTee: 9
metsmarathon: 9
Benjamin Grimm: 5
MFS62: 4
Marshmallowmilkshake: 1
The Hot Corner: 1
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:46 pm

I wanted to write Bob Heise for number five, but that didn't work. I then realized the 1971 appearances weren't necessarily with the Mets, and so I'm going with the silent P of Bobby Pfiel.
A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:08 pm

Bobby Pfeil is correct! Well done. A new question has been added.

1. Before a game in June 2011, when was the only other Mets game to end on a hit by pitch with the Mets winning?

Hint: The date could be considered a combination of Ron Swoboda's number and Mike Baxter's number. The year was one in which the Mets went 72-90.
Hint: The date could also be considered a combination of Francisco Alvarez's number and David Peterson's number. The year was one in which the Mets were managed by Jeff Torborg.
Hint: The date could also be considered a combination of the number of doubles David Wright hit in 2005 (and 2007, and 2008) and the number of shutouts RA Dickey threw in 2012. That year, Bobby Bonilla led the team with 19 dingers.
Hint: On that date in Mets history (though not the year), the Mets won their first game ever. That year, Sid Fernandez led the club with 14 wins.
Hint: Might also be considered a combination of Ron Hodges' number and Bud Harrelson's number. That year, Bobby Bonilla and Eddie Murray debuted for the team.
Hint: For the first part of the date, the month, take 2 and square it. For the second part, the day, consider prime numbers in conjunction with the hints above. For the year, "Jump" by Kriss Kross peaked at Number 1 that year. If you can't get the question after these hints, well that's wiggity-wiggity whack.
Hint: The first part of the date, the month as it were, can be derived through simple arithmetic, 2+2, perhaps. The second part, the day, can be solved by subtracting 77 from 100. The year can be solved by taking the square root of 169, multiplying it by 1/2 the number of years in a millennium, then adding 25^2 to that, then by multiplying 4 by one (United States) octillion, dividing that answer by two, then dividing it by two again, then subtracting 10^27 from that, then adding that to the previous answer you got after the 25^2 instruction, then dividing the new answer by three, then subtracting ((8*2*6*4)-1).
Hint: The first part of the date, the month, is the same as the number of years Pedro Martinez spent with New York. The day is the same as the number of years former Met Willie Mays spent in MLB, per Baseball Reference. The year is the same as the number of plate appearances Jeff Kent had with New York.
Hint: The month's showers bring the next month's flowers; the day was Mark Vientos' and Brett Baty's ages in 2023. Jeff McNeil was born that year.

Who am I?

Hint: Was 17-27 with a 4.55 ERA in 447 major league games.

3. I appeared in exactly as many games
For the Mets as I had at-bats with them
Striking out over half the time, though
It's no secret I was never thought of as a gem.

Which Met am I?

Hint: Played for the Mets in 1995.
Hint: Also played for the Rockies in 1998 and 1999.
Hint: Involved in this trade: "December 9, 1991: Traded by the Montreal Expos to the New York Mets for Blaine Beatty."
Hint: Also involved in this trade: "December 15, 1995: Traded by the New York Mets to the San Diego Padres for Pedro Martínez."

4. I played from '71 to '74.
After that, they said, "no more."
I played hard, busted my arse
But was traded for a guy name Scarce

Who am I?

Hint: Debuted for the Mets in 1971.
Hint: Was involved in this trade: "March 31, 1971: Traded by the Montreal Expos to the New York Mets for Rich Hacker and Ron Swoboda."
Hint: Also involved in this trade: "December 3, 1974: Traded by the New York Mets with Tug McGraw and Dave Schneck to the Philadelphia Phillies for Mac Scarce, John Stearns and Del Unser."
Hint: His first and last name rhymed.

5. Pitching two games for the Mets was not the highlight of my career
I pitched two games, lost one, and didn't return to the Majors for years
With my ERA over 15.00 in those games
I'm only lucky anyone recalls my name

What Met am I?

Hint: Pitched for the Mets in 1996.

Edgy MD: 87
stevejrogers: 56
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:13 am

New day, new hints added above.
stevejrogers

Post by stevejrogers » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:12 pm

4 is Don Hahn
stevejrogers

Post by stevejrogers » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:13 pm

3 is Jeff Barry…I have way too many junk wax era Met cards…
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:20 pm

Hahn and Barry are correct! Well done! Two new questions have been added

Hint: The month's showers bring the next month's flowers; the day was Mark Vientos' and Brett Baty's ages in 2023. Jeff McNeil was born that year.
Hint:
ImageImageImage
Hint: A _ _ _ _ _ _, _ _ _ _
Hint: A _ _ _ _ 2 _, _ _ _ _

Who am I?

Hint: Went to Japan after his trial with New York, then came back to the US to post a 3.31 ERA in 161 games between the Padres, Twins and Brewers from 2014-2016.
Hint: Shares a first name with a short-lived Mets pitcher from the late '80s/early '90s who had a 2.30 ERA. Shares a surname with a former Mets starting third baseman who had brothers named Clete and Cloyd.
Hint: Was involved in this trade: "April 20, 2009: Traded by the Atlanta Braves to the St. Louis Cardinals for Brian Barton."

3. Pitching two games for the Mets was not the highlight of my career

What Met am I?

Hint: Involved in these transactions: "March 23, 1996: Sent to the New York Mets by the Kansas City Royals as part of a conditional deal." "November 25, 1996: Purchased by Chiba Lotte Marines (Japan Pacific) from the New York Mets." "December 6, 1997: Signed as a Free Agent with the New York Mets."
Hint: Also played for the Angels, Cubs and Athletics.
Hint: Played in 1996 (debuted with the Mets) and from 1999 to 2002 as (mostly) a relief pitcher.

4. On the last day of [2011], Miguel Batista pitched a complete game shutout at Citi Field. On the last day of the season in 2009 another pitcher pitched a complete game shutout at Citi Field. Who was that pitcher?

Hint: Pitched for the Mets in 2008 and 2009.
Hint: His big league career ran from 2000 to 2011, with a break in-between.
Hint: Was born in Brooklyn.

5. I played with The Worst Team Money Could Buy
I couldn't hit, but I sure could fly
I stole a lot too but didn't much walk
The thing I did best: I was some flyhawk

Who am I?

Hint: His sole year in the majors was with the Mets in 1992.
Hint: Hit .187 with 2 walks, 15 strikeouts and 4 steals in 75 ABs for New York.
Hint: Was involved in this trade—"November 18, 1992: Traded by the New York Mets to the Minnesota Twins for Darren Reed."

--originally posted by "VIBaseball"

stevejrogers: 58
Last edited by Cowtipper on Mon May 06, 2024 5:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:53 pm

2. Jason Roach?
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:46 pm

Not Jason Roach, though a good guess. Our guy's first name might be the same as famous magician's last name, and he might share surnames with a one-time Mets starting third baseman.
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:38 am

Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:17 am

Jeremy Griffiths
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:30 am

Jeremy Griffith it is not. The correct answer played about a decade after Griffiths (and Roach). You're right on point with your shoddy short-timers, though. In 2011, he was in competition for the Mets 25th roster spot coming out of ST. He was battling Isringhausen. It appears as if the correct answer got the #25 spot, and Isringhausen stayed back for more conditioning in extended ST.
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Sun May 05, 2024 8:06 am

...and we're back. New day, new hints added above.
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Mon May 06, 2024 5:35 am

New day, new hints added.
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Mon May 06, 2024 12:10 pm

4 would be Nelson Figueroa
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Mon May 06, 2024 12:45 pm

Figueroa is correct! A new question has been added.

Hint:
ImageImageImage

Who am I?

Hint: Went to Japan after his trial with New York, then came back to the US to post a 3.31 ERA in 161 games between the Padres, Twins and Brewers from 2014-2016.
Hint: Shares a first name with a short-lived Mets pitcher from the late '80s/early '90s who had a 2.30 ERA. Shares a surname with a former Mets starting third baseman who had brothers named Clete and Cloyd.
Hint: Was involved in this trade: "April 20, 2009: Traded by the Atlanta Braves to the St. Louis Cardinals for Brian Barton."

What Met am I?

Hint: Involved in these transactions: "March 23, 1996: Sent to the New York Mets by the Kansas City Royals as part of a conditional deal." "November 25, 1996: Purchased by Chiba Lotte Marines (Japan Pacific) from the New York Mets." "December 6, 1997: Signed as a Free Agent with the New York Mets."
Hint: Played in 1996 (debuted with the Mets) and from 1999 to 2002 as (mostly) a relief pitcher.

4. I played with The Worst Team Money Could Buy

Who am I?

Hint: Was involved in this trade—"November 18, 1992: Traded by the New York Mets to the Minnesota Twins for Darren Reed."

5. Early on in New York, I kicked a$$ and took names
I hit home runs in five straight games
I got 21 in just half a season
But they let me walk, and with pretty good reason.

Johnny Lunchbucket: 92
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Mon May 06, 2024 5:04 pm

5. is Richard Hidalgo
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Mon May 06, 2024 8:16 pm

Richard Hidalgo is correct! Well done. A new question has been added.

Hint:
ImageImageImage
Hint: A _ _ _ _ 2 _, 1 _ _ _
Hint: Ap_ _ _, 2 _, 1 _ _ _

Who am I?

Hint: Wore #23 in his time with the Mets.
Hint: B _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

What Met am I?

Hint: He might have had a 'fiery' personality, or perhaps not.

4. I played with The Worst Team Money Could Buy

Who am I?

Hint: "Drafted by the New York Mets in the 9th round of the 1987 MLB June Amateur Draft from Vigor HS (Prichard, AL)."

5. I played for the Mets for a short time.
I hit a double off Randy Johnson.
I came home to score.

Who is this Met?

Hint: Pitched for the Mets in 2005.
Hint: Was a 35-year-old rookie with New York.

--originally posted by "Blue387"

Johnny Lunchbucket: 93
Last edited by Cowtipper on Sun May 12, 2024 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Tue May 07, 2024 9:55 am

Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Sun May 12, 2024 8:49 am

...and, we're back. New day, new hints added.

For #1, check out the three pictures clustered together. Who is she? You might know her as a character associated with some Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. What number did Michael Jordan wear? What year was Bill Clinton first elected president?