Guess that Met

Edgy MD

Re: Guess that Met

Post by Edgy MD » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:55 am

Imma guess Paul Maholm.
A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:58 pm

4 is Alex Ochoa
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:20 pm

Number two is Pat Mahomes.
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:27 pm

Paul Maholm is correct! Alex Ochoa is correct! Pat Mahomes is correct! Three new questions have been added.

1. Which Met had the most wins in a single season without a loss?

Hint: He spent the plurality of his career with the Twins.
Hint: Hit .313 in 16 ABs in 1999.
Hint: Was once involved in this trade: "Traded by the Minnesota Twins to the Boston Red Sox for a player to be named later. The Boston Red Sox sent Brian Looney (December 17, 1996) to the Minnesota Twins to complete the trade."

--originally posted by "VIBaseball"

2. In a year that the Mets made the postseason the Mets actually had a player on their team who played in 7 games during the regular season but did not have an at bat, or any runs scored, or any stolen bases, and didn't even make a play on the field. He played in the field during those 7 games but never had a ball hit to him when he played in the field. Who is this player? (I didn't want to give the year because then it might have been too easy to find out.)

Hint: Played for the Mets in 1999.

--originally posted by "Joe Rigatoni"

3. Which one-time Met threw the wild pitch that helped force a 163rd regular season game, a one game playoff against the Reds?

4. What ex-Met is the only player in major league history to hit at least one home run in each of the first 16 innings in a game at any time in his career? (not all in the same game, didn't hit them all with the Mets)

5. Before a game in June 2011, when was the only other Mets game to end on a hit by pitch with the Mets winning?

--originally posted by "m8644"

Running tally of correct guessers:

Johnny Lunchbucket: 81
Edgy MD: 79
stevejrogers: 55
batmagadanleadoff: 23
DocTee: 9
metsmarathon: 8
Benjamin Grimm: 5
MFS62: 3
Marshmallowmilkshake: 1
The Hot Corner: 1
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:16 pm

Pat Mahomes is again the answer to #1.
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:46 pm

Pat Mahomes is correct!

1. In a year that the Mets made the postseason the Mets actually had a player on their team who played in 7 games during the regular season but did not have an at bat, or any runs scored, or any stolen bases, and didn't even make a play on the field. He played in the field during those 7 games but never had a ball hit to him when he played in the field. Who is this player? (I didn't want to give the year because then it might have been too easy to find out.)

2. Which one-time Met threw the wild pitch that helped force a 163rd regular season game, a one game playoff against the Reds?

3. What ex-Met is the only player in major league history to hit at least one home run in each of the first 16 innings in a game at any time in his career? (not all in the same game, didn't hit them all with the Mets)

4. Before a game in June 2011, when was the only other Mets game to end on a hit by pitch with the Mets winning?

5. On two occasions in Mets history the Mets have had two players with the same first and last name being teammates for one year. Please name the sets of same-named teammates. And please name me the year that it happened on both occasions as well.

Johnny Lunchbucket: 81
Edgy MD: 80
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:45 pm

2 Brad Clontz
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:19 pm

Number 3 is Willie Mays.
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:37 pm

Bob Miller and Bob Miller, 1962
Bobby Jones and Bobby Jones, 2000
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:47 pm

Brad Clontz, Willie Mays and Bob Miller (1962)/Bobby Jones (2000) are correct! Three new questions have been added.

1. In a year that the Mets made the postseason the Mets actually had a player on their team who played in 7 games during the regular season but did not have an at bat, or any runs scored, or any stolen bases, and didn't even make a play on the field. He played in the field during those 7 games but never had a ball hit to him when he played in the field. Who is this player? (I didn't want to give the year because then it might have been too easy to find out.)

2. Before a game in June 2011, when was the only other Mets game to end on a hit by pitch with the Mets winning?

3. In 2011, Carlos Beltran had a streak of home runs where the handedness of the pitcher who surrendered it was opposite that of the pitcher who surrendered the one before (so, for example, left-right-left-right, etc.). The streak began on April 19 against lefty Wandy Rodriguez. How many home runs did he hit while maintaining that pattern?

--originally posted by "milladrive"

4. I signed with the Mets as an FA
And for only a year did I stay
I pitched in relief with my 'mate Roger
But after that season I was a Dodger

Who am I?

5. I played for the Mets for nine years
Our appetite was sate
We cried joyous champagne tears
Then I left post-'88

Who am I?

Johnny Lunchbucket: 83
Edgy MD: 81
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:58 pm

Four and five feel like they can represent more than one guy, but I'll go with Don Aase for #4.
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:04 pm

Don Aase is correct! Well done. A new question has been added.

2. Before a game in June 2011, when was the only other Mets game to end on a hit by pitch with the Mets winning?

3. In 2011, Carlos Beltran had a streak of home runs where the handedness of the pitcher who surrendered it was opposite that of the pitcher who surrendered the one before (so, for example, left-right-left-right, etc.). The streak began on April 19 against lefty Wandy Rodriguez. How many home runs did he hit while maintaining that pattern?

4. I played for the Mets for nine years
Our appetite was sate
Then I left post-'88

Who am I?

5. My time with the Mets was okay
But balls I rarely ever ripped
And despite what my name might say
No, I'm not from Egypt

Who am I?

Edgy MD: 82
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:32 pm

Five is Miguel Cairo.
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:01 am

Miguel Cairo is correct! Well done. And with that, you're tied up with Johnny Lunchbucket for the lead! A new question has been added and hints have been added for the rest.

Hint: Was involved in this trade: "March 23, 1999: Traded by the Kansas City Royals to the New York Mets for Jonathan Guzman (minors)."

Hint: The date could be considered a combination of Ron Swoboda's number and Mike Baxter's numbers. The year was one in which the Mets went 72-90.

Hint: Art Shamsky hit this many home runs in 1968. Jason Bay hit this many home runs in 2011. John Milner hit this many home runs in 1977.

4. I played for the Mets for nine years
Our appetite was sate
Then I left post-'88

Who am I?

Hint: Later managed in the minors/indy ball for 20+ seasons.

5. I pitched for the Mets one year
Part of a new group of three
None of us was much to fear
Estes, Thomson, or me

Who am I?

Edgy MD: 83
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:05 am

4 is Wally
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:26 am

#5 - Satoru Komiyama?

Later
"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness". William Lonsdale Watkinson
I have never insulted anyone. I simply describe them, accurately.
"They fear love because it creates a world they can't control" - George Orwell
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:30 am

Not Komiyama, but a good guess. Think starting pitchers. Wally Backman is correct, however. A new question has been added.

Hint: Was involved in this trade: "March 23, 1999: Traded by the Kansas City Royals to the New York Mets for Jonathan Guzman (minors)."

Hint: The date could be considered a combination of Ron Swoboda's number and Mike Baxter's numbers. The year was one in which the Mets went 72-90.

Hint: Art Shamsky hit this many home runs in 1968. Jason Bay hit this many home runs in 2011. John Milner hit this many home runs in 1977.

4. I pitched for the Mets one year
Part of a new group of three
None of us was much to fear
Estes, Thomson, or me

Who am I?

5. I started 60 games at 2B
One year not long ago
It was rather recently
That I donned the B & O

Who am I?

Johnny Lunchbucket: 84
Edgy MD: 83
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:38 am

5 Joey Wendle
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:39 am

3. 17
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:04 am

Johnny kicked my ass as I overslept.
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:11 am

Number 4 is another guy who could be a couple of guys, but it seems to point most directly at Jeff D'Amico.
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:16 am

Not Wendle, though you should get this one Easily, and 17 isn't the correct answer, however you are pretty close. Joe Ginsberg might have worn the number, as well as Shawon Dunston and Roberto Alomar. Jeff D'Amico, however, is correct. All knotted up again! A new question has been added.

4. I started 60 games at 2B
One year not long ago
It was rather recently
That I donned the B & O

Who am I?

5. I once got a game winning hit
On Opening Day
It was the last major league game
that I will ever play

Who am I?

Johnny Lunchbucket: 84
Edgy MD: 84
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:17 am

Number 4 is Damion Easley on a tee.
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:35 am

Rather recently? This is a 10 year old kwiz

I'll take the givaeway hint and say 12 straight homers
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:28 pm

Easley and 12 are correct, well done! Two new questions have been added.

3. I once got a game winning hit
On Opening Day
It was the last major league game
that I will ever play

Who am I?

4. I was a backup for Mike P
In his first year with the team
I played in 20 games you see
And that was it for me

Who am I?