Mets Dance Team deserves a thread

metirish

Mets Dance Team deserves a thread

Post by metirish » Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:11 am

MFS62

Re: Mets Dance Team deserves a thread

Post by MFS62 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:26 am

Try winning consistently, the fans will follow.
And they will be cheering throughout the game.
Later
"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness". William Lonsdale Watkinson
I have never insulted anyone. I simply describe them, accurately.
"They fear love because it creates a world they can't control" - George Orwell
metirish

Post by metirish » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:36 am

I honestly think even if the Mets won the World Series last season a dance team would have still happened, and I think this will be a roaring success, just like when they have employees shoot out free T-shirts, many fans love this kind of stuff
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:23 am

I'm indifferent to this, I just hope none of them falls off the edge of the dugout while making a sick dance move and cracks their heads open on the steps and the game has to be cancelled because she died.
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:54 am

My brother took my dad to a Knicks game when Dad was in his seventies, and it was incredibly stressful, and brother realized that he had crossed an input horizon — that my dad, despite a lifetime in the streets and subways and basketball courts and arenas and theaters and fleshpots of New York, wasn't able to process and sort out all the media coming at him at the Garden. The screens, the dancers sexing it up at every time-out, the make-some-noize! speakers behind them, the flashing lights, and he was scarcely able to filter it all out and take in the fact that there was a basketball game in front of him, and the two of them left early, my brother fearing he had to beat the post-game subway culture before it added insult to the mental injuries of the evening.

For young folk three or four generations behind my dad, this stuff is far more akin to their native environment, so it's probably not altogether the best fit to place my aging father in the position of canary in the coalmine, but most folks reflecting on their first visit to Citi Field last year — many players included — described how they weren't ready for just how imposing the giant scoreboard is.

I guess I'm just saying that the combinations of beer, giant screens, shaking boobies, and crowds being called on to pull in the same direction makes men stupid. An average of 6-to-12 IQ points goes out the window, perhaps, with each of those elements. I don't know if "shaking boobies" is a fair description of the entertainment that the dance team is going to offer, but if it is, that would be a pretty new element among the official offerings of the ballpark.

And it all may be fine. History suggests it'll probably either all be fine or disappear in due course, like the automobile race or Mettle. But we probably should pay attention to the overall effects. Because the amount of changes we've allowed to happen in the last 10 or 20 years is pretty stunning in reflection. And it's not being a moral prig just to try to be a little more thoughtful about these things when they come.

I'm not sure that hangs together, and I should probably start over.
A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:59 am

No need to start over. It makes sense.
But that's maybe because my ability to process multi-sensory input is decreasing, too.

Later
"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness". William Lonsdale Watkinson
I have never insulted anyone. I simply describe them, accurately.
"They fear love because it creates a world they can't control" - George Orwell
metirish

Post by metirish » Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:50 pm

Johnny Lunchbucket wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:23 am I'm indifferent to this, I just hope none of them falls off the edge of the dugout while making a sick dance move and cracks their heads open on the steps and the game has to be cancelled because she died.

I like the optimistic outlook
Benjamin Grimm

Post by Benjamin Grimm » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:27 am

Johnny Lunchbucket wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:23 am I'm indifferent to this.
Me too. I don't see any reason to be upset about this; it's just more stadium noise if you're not interested and just another between-inning distraction if you are.
A Boy Named Seo

Post by A Boy Named Seo » Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:03 am

It'll be fine. There's already so much shit going on between innings and pitching changes. If anything, a dance crew makes sense.
great googly moogly!
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:07 pm

I (along with gfafif) were out at Citi today for a "season preview" event and saw the Mets City Dancers or whatever they're called do a quick performance in a subzero promenade deck. They were good. Will perform at 30 games, so not every night.

The most interesting new thing are the colored stadium lights which can bathe the park in color, like they do at a hockey or basketball arena pregame.

On the downside they scattered the Hall of Fame all about the stadium so as to make the Merch store bigger and more profitable. They are selling the ugly new jerseys, which are definitely lighter than their predecessors but definitely uglier.

Buncha new food vendors.
Benjamin Grimm

Post by Benjamin Grimm » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:10 pm

Johnny Lunchbucket wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:07 pm On the downside they scattered the Hall of Fame all about the stadium so as to make the Merch store bigger and more profitable.
So the plaques are no longer displayed together? That sounds like a bad idea.
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:16 pm

We apparently walked right past them and didn't see them but they are now affixed to columns in the rotunda. Greg reminded me that the Hall of Fame was originally carved from a larger merch store (back in 2019 when they didn't have room for one) so the bigger store today is back to the future.

Also, a more exclusive than ever Delta 360 club has opened and there's even bigger seats for the high rollers on field level.

Also, the Dance team has girls and guys.
metirish

Post by metirish » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:27 pm

What JCL is talking about

metirish

Post by metirish » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:28 pm

G-Fafif

Post by G-Fafif » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:30 pm

Great food on tap this year. Of course it’s always great when it’s complimentary. Mama’s Empanadas is a comer.

At least one of the Queens Crew dancers was performing bare-midriff. Given the wind chill, she earns today’s MVP.

HOF plaques will be at the top of the rotunda, so keep an eye peeled as you depart the escalator (even if you’re engaged in conversation as JCL and I were). I’m hoping the placement will lure more passersby, a la Walls of Fame in some other parks.
Hope for the best. Expect the Mets.
Benjamin Grimm

Post by Benjamin Grimm » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:47 pm

Okay, as long as they're all in one place, I'm okay with it. (Not that they're looking for my approval.)
G-Fafif

Post by G-Fafif » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:52 pm

The bulk of the HOF will relocate to the RF FanFest area, where there’ve been shops and lounges in the past. Theoretically that will draw in-game foot traffic.
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:01 pm

It looks like Greg's updates on changes to the stadium experience deserve a thread.
A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:34 pm

Steve's foundation separately today donated $116.2 million to create a vocational training center at LaGuardia Community College.
metirish

Post by metirish » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:38 pm

Johnny Lunchbucket wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:34 pm Steve's foundation separately today donated $116.2 million to create a vocational training center at LaGuardia Community College.

Wow , good man , Steve and Alex
G-Fafif

Post by G-Fafif » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:43 pm

So now we know why the Mets were handing out J.D. Martinis at this thing.
metirish

Post by metirish » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:45 pm

For this that were there , how was the Queens Crew ?
metirish

Post by metirish » Mon May 06, 2024 8:17 am

So, not hearing much about them these days
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Mon May 06, 2024 9:43 am

Wait'll they come out in their Citi Connect dance gear