Are the Mets Just Bad

Centerfield

Are the Mets Just Bad

Post by Centerfield » Mon May 06, 2024 2:36 pm

At scoring runs? 17th in MLB in runs scored, 17th in MLB in OPS.

Maybe the good news here is that they almost have to get better. McNeil, JD, and Lindor are all under .700 in OPS. McNeil might be washed, but the other two you'd think will end up significantly higher. Alonso's OPS is .715. That will improve. Nimmo's also below career norms at .744.

But the others might be what they are. Marte, Baty, Alvarez, Bader. They kinda are what they've been. Maybe one of them will break out but you certainly can't bank on it.

So far, the young guys on the farm aren't providing much hope. Jett Williams is injured and batting .179. Acuna's OPS is .595. Drew Gilbert is out until the end of this month with a hamstring. Maybe we call up Vientos and hope he's improved with the glove enough to stick around.
Edgy MD

Re: Are the Mets Just Bad

Post by Edgy MD » Mon May 06, 2024 2:59 pm

I don't think they're bad. I think there's a philosophical change they need. I think we allow players to spend all their offensive time on perfecting swings rather than actual execution.

I think they could be really terrific.
A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.
metirish

Post by metirish » Mon May 06, 2024 3:08 pm

I don’t know what the answer is, but we need those tablesetters. Jeff has been this way for far too long. Nimmo swings for the fences , Lindor is showing life at least
Marshmallowmilkshake

Post by Marshmallowmilkshake » Mon May 06, 2024 3:58 pm

We've also played a bunch of well-above average teams. Can we please play the Marlins, Rockies, and some of the other bottom-feeders for a while?
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Mon May 06, 2024 4:01 pm

metirish wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 3:08 pm I don’t know what the answer is, but we need those tablesetters. Jeff has been this way for far too long. Nimmo swings for the fences , Lindor is showing life at least
Nimmo is, when directed and freed to be, one of the very best tablesetters.

Whoever got in his mind and told him that he was leaving power on the table by not guessing and jumping on the first pitch more has done him and the Mets a grave disservice.

If Nimmo and Lindor embraced what they were best at (laying off bad pitches and smashing it the other way, respectively), it would be glorious. Fireworks, parades, and proclamations from City Hall on a weekly basis.
batmagadanleadoff

Post by batmagadanleadoff » Mon May 06, 2024 4:44 pm

Centerfield wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:36 pm At scoring runs? 17th in MLB in runs scored, 17th in MLB in OPS.
17th best, you say? Sounds like a playoff team to me.
batmagadanleadoff

Post by batmagadanleadoff » Mon May 06, 2024 4:45 pm

Edgy MD wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:59 pm I think we allow players to spend all their offensive time on perfecting swings rather than actual execution.
There's a difference?
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Mon May 06, 2024 4:47 pm

Yes, I'd say. Yes.
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Mon May 06, 2024 4:48 pm

Centerfield wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:36 pm 17th in MLB in runs scored, 17th in MLB in OPS.
That's consistent with their record.
As football coach Bill Parcells said, "You are what your record is".

Later
"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness". William Lonsdale Watkinson
I have never insulted anyone. I simply describe them, accurately.
"They fear love because it creates a world they can't control" - George Orwell
Centerfield

Post by Centerfield » Mon May 06, 2024 5:11 pm

Edgy MD wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 4:01 pm
metirish wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 3:08 pm I don’t know what the answer is, but we need those tablesetters. Jeff has been this way for far too long. Nimmo swings for the fences , Lindor is showing life at least
Nimmo is, when directed and freed to be, one of the very best tablesetters.

Whoever got in his mind and told him that he was leaving power on the table by not guessing and jumping on the first pitch more has done him and the Mets a grave disservice.

If Nimmo and Lindor embraced what they were best at (laying off bad pitches and smashing it the other way, respectively), it would be glorious. Fireworks, parades, and proclamations from City Hall on a weekly basis.

I could not agree with this any more. I think it's impossible for analytics to measure the psychological pressure of having the top of the order on base with the sluggers coming up.
Frayed Knot

Post by Frayed Knot » Mon May 06, 2024 6:20 pm

Marshmallowmilkshake wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 3:58 pm We've also played a bunch of well-above average teams. Can we please play the Marlins, Rockies, and some of the other bottom-feeders for a while?
In 25 games vs teams who are a combined 8 games under .500 [DET, CIN, KCR, PIT, SFG, StL, TBR] they've gone 12-13
Against the 'good' teams [MIL, LAD, ATL, CHC, a combined +32] they're 6-7

It ain't our opponents.

btw, in Sunday's game they came to bat five times with the bases loaded and not a single ball left the IF: LO, PO, BB, K, GO
On the season with bases loaded they're:
-- 0/4 with 0 outs, including 2 K
-- 1/11 plus a BB with 1 out (that hit was a GS)
-- 4/20 plus 2 BB with 2 outs
So that's 5/35 (4 singles) + 3 BB for a total of 19 RBI in 35 ABs

It takes hard work to be that bad
Posting Covid-19 free since March of 2020
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Mon May 06, 2024 6:26 pm

the grand slam was off Luis Guillorme, so maybe it is the opponent
Frayed Knot

Post by Frayed Knot » Mon May 06, 2024 6:32 pm

In other words, we can't really count that one ... so it's 4 singles plus 3 BB and 15 RBI in 35 ABs
Four singles means let's say 6 RBI, the walks add 3 more, so there are maybe 6 productive outs (of 30) in the whole lot.
Posting Covid-19 free since March of 2020
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Mon May 06, 2024 7:44 pm

And that's about approachy approachy approach.
kcmets

Post by kcmets » Tue May 07, 2024 8:45 am

The Mets currently have a 28% of making the post season this
season according to a trusted industry source - not a gambling,
book-maker or Ponzi scheme provider.

That's less than a one in three chance. How this 'sounds like a
playoff team' today holds very little water. Needs Flex Seal or at
least a lot of duct tape.
#lgm #ygb #ymdyf
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Tue May 07, 2024 9:23 am

Still and all, I'd take that bet.

I can't help myself.
Centerfield

Post by Centerfield » Mon May 13, 2024 6:01 pm

The Mets are 18th in MLB in runs scored. They're currently 20th in OPS. I don't know how you guys feel, but that sounds about right to me.

On the plus side, the Mets are 11th in team ERA. So overall, a game under .500

.500 might just be good enough to hang around for the 3rd WC spot for a while. Hopefully none of those flawed teams gets hot.
Gwreck

Post by Gwreck » Tue May 14, 2024 12:40 am

Is McNeil bad, or is he hurt? Was he ever healthy this year? Is this like Marte last year, where he was put on the DL way too late and never got healthy?

Baty is not good. Now, patience is fine, and this is a transition year anyway, but he’s not good.

Bench and roster construction leaves something to be desired with 3 players who can’t hit and a bunch of extra DHes.
bmfc1

Post by bmfc1 » Tue May 14, 2024 1:16 am

Bench and roster construction leaves something to be desired with 3 players who can’t hit and a bunch of extra DHes.
Right. When you pinch-run w/DJ Stewart, then yes, there is an issue with roster construction.
JDM is a DH-only which is fine b/c he's a good hitter but it clogs up a spot that is mostly used elsewhere for players getting a half day off. If you have one DH you don't need a 2d and Stewart is also a DH-only (they can only play him in the OF and you pray the ball doesn't get hit to him as it did last Tuesday in St. Louis).
Wendle, Stewart, and Narvaez are all LH, making for an lopsided bench. Also, Narvaez can't hit or catch (but he's the 11th highest-paid C in MLB), Stewart can't field, and Wendle does nothing productive.
metirish

Post by metirish » Tue May 14, 2024 6:31 am

Yes
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Tue May 14, 2024 7:58 am

Gwreck wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:40 am Is McNeil bad, or is he hurt? Was he ever healthy this year? Is this like Marte last year, where he was put on the DL way too late and never got healthy?

Baty is not good. Now, patience is fine, and this is a transition year anyway, but he’s not good.

I think McNeil has to figure it out.

Not ready to pull the plug on Baty yet. For one thing he's really improved defensively and you know the Mets don't trust Vientos there.

And neither McNeil or Baty have serious underlying pressure, that went away with Mauricio
whippoorwill

Post by whippoorwill » Tue May 14, 2024 8:44 am

Sounds like they are very bad from reading all your comments and IGTs

I am gathering the Mets are carrying several players only for offense or only for defense.
It sounds like Diaz is toast.
It sounds like McNeil might be too.
It sounds like poor Alonso is trying too hard d to carry the team.

Surprisingly, and knock on wood, it sounds for the most part as though the pitching staff is dependable. I am happy for this, at least.

Bringing up Syracuse players to boost the team sounds like a good and exciting plan but it underscores the paltryness of the main team.
Benjamin Grimm

Post by Benjamin Grimm » Fri May 17, 2024 9:10 am

Stearns has said that it takes 45 games to evaluate a team. We're almost there.
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Fri May 17, 2024 9:36 am

whippoorwill wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:44 am Bringing up Syracuse players to boost the team sounds like a good and exciting plan but it underscores the paltryness of the main team.
Last night the minor league teams lost all six games they played. They scored (FCL) 0, StL 2, BRK 0, 1, BING 0, SYR 4. Those numbers didn't surprise me because there have been very few offensive bright spots this year. I'm not sure who I'd bring up, other than trying to find a major league infield spot for Iglesias.
The kids aren't ready yet.

Later
"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness". William Lonsdale Watkinson
I have never insulted anyone. I simply describe them, accurately.
"They fear love because it creates a world they can't control" - George Orwell
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Fri May 17, 2024 11:29 am

Benjamin Grimm wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:10 am Stearns has said that it takes 45 games to evaluate a team. We're almost there.
Yeah, that's the perspective to take.