Adopted: Ronny Mauricio

vtmet7

Adopted: Ronny Mauricio

Post by vtmet7 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:57 pm

https://www.baseball-reference.com/regi ... uric000ron

Looking at Ronny Mauricio's stats, nothing really stands out saying that he's going to have a MLB career...but looking at him play on the Dominican Winter League games on MLB.tv; I like his raw talent...however, I think that the Mets are making a mistake by not having a guy that is 6'3" try other positions in the minors other than shortstop...that spot is booked for awhile at the MLB level...

Plus:
Tall; Fast; good power; good speed; switch hitter; young (won't turn 22 until next Spring); shortstop;

minus:
overly skinny; low walk/OBP (old Dominican adage: you can't walk off the island);
has only played shortstop and is already at AA (IMO, a little late to start trying him at CF/2B; they made the same mistake with Amed Rosario so that when he finally did try another position, he looked uncomfortable there);
vtmet7

Re: Adopted: Ronny Mauricio

Post by vtmet7 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:59 pm

by the way...no idea how the 'adopt a prospect' thing works...but didn't see any mention of him, and I really liked watching him the last couple nights....he had an "inside the park" homerun to center field that was a little bit of a gift because of the Center Fielder

https://www.mlb.com/news/ronny-mauricio ... -for-licey

https://www.mlb.com/video/ronny-maurici ... b-pipeline

https://www.mlb.com/video/ronny-mauricio-collects-hits

https://www.mlb.com/video/ronny-maurici ... 20-20-club

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/mets/ (ranked Mets 6th best prospect)
Benjamin Grimm

Post by Benjamin Grimm » Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:58 pm

I think someone from the group of Vientos, Baty, Mauricio, and Alvarez is going to get traded this winter. The Mets didn't want to trade any of these guys during the season but I suspect that one or more of them will be needed to swing any major trades. Alvarez is the most likely to stay. I think Baty is most likely to go, but not for any particular reason I can put my finger on.
vtmet7

Post by vtmet7 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:15 pm

Benjamin Grimm wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:58 pm I think someone from the group of Vientos, Baty, Mauricio, and Alvarez is going to get traded this winter. The Mets didn't want to trade any of these guys during the season but I suspect that one or more of them will be needed to swing any major trades. Alvarez is the most likely to stay. I think Baty is most likely to go, but not for any particular reason I can put my finger on.
it would not surprise me at all...Mets need at least 1 more power RH'd bat to protect Alonso...I think that if they can't sign someone with an astronomically high uniform number, they would need to see what Vientos/Alvarez can do...Baty has the hype to sweeten a deal...however, neither Maurico or Vientos have the same hype that would help out a trade...Alvarez, while having high trade value, would surprise me though
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:28 pm

Good job adopting.

Ronny will probably see time at other positions this season. Teams tend to delay moving a guy off of shortstop until the issue is forced.
A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.
vtmet7

Post by vtmet7 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:44 pm

Edgy MD wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:28 pm Good job adopting.

Ronny will probably see time at other positions this season. Teams tend to delay moving a guy off of shortstop until the issue is forced.
thanks...

I wonder if teams leave guys at SS and CF like that to help keep their trade values up...is a "prospect" that has only played SS or CF more highly regarded than a prospect that has played multiple positions (like a Jeff McNeil did as a minor leaguer)?
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:10 pm

I think it's more that you want the guy at the most difficult position he can play because (a) you don't know what position will be available by the time he reaches the big leagues, and (b) it's easier to move a guy from the harder position to the easier one than it is to move him back again.
A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:23 am

Another big night for Ronny Mauricio in the Dominican winter league:
3-for-5, 2 2B, 2 RBI, R, SB, .961 OPS
The 21-year-old Mauricio is leading the league in hits (21), doubles (7), RBIs (15), and tied for the lead in steals (6).

Later
"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness". William Lonsdale Watkinson
I have never insulted anyone. I simply describe them, accurately.
"They fear love because it creates a world they can't control" - George Orwell
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:31 am

Ronny's still tearing it up for Licey in Winter Ball:
Mauricio has been one of the most feared hitters in the LIDOM circuit in 2022, sporting an impressive .322/.357/.508 slash line with 15 extra-base hits and 25 RBI in just 28 games. He has a hit in eight of his last nine games, and he has driven in six runs in his past two games.
https://metsmerizedonline.com/the-ronny ... -in-lidom/

Later
"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness". William Lonsdale Watkinson
vtmet7

Post by vtmet7 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:58 pm

Mauricio hit a 3 Run Home Run and walked last night (game was available live on mlb.tv, watched his walk but missed the homer)...he also played third base in 3 consecutive games earlier this week...

https://metsmerizedonline.com/ronny-mau ... run-homer/
... the fourth home run of the season for Mauricio which ties him for second in the league. His 28 RBIs –in only 35 games– puts him 10 above the player ranking second in the league. The switch-hitting infielder is also the only player with double-digit doubles at 12 for the season. His slash line of .306/.353/.500 also has him leading the league with his .853 OPS and his eight stolen bases are in the top five.
... the bigger story is likely the fact that Mauricio finally started playing a different position than shortstop recently. Something Mets fans have been seemingly waiting for since the Mets traded for Francisco Lindor and signed him long-term. Mauricio was at shortstop on Tuesday night, however, he played the previous three games at third base.
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:42 pm

vtmet7 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:58 pm the bigger story is likely the fact that Mauricio finally started playing a different position than shortstop recently. Something Mets fans have been seemingly waiting for since the Mets traded for Francisco Lindor and signed him long-term. Mauricio was at shortstop on Tuesday night, however, he played the previous three games at third base.
Interesting, but I'd prefer to see what he can do in center field where his speed would be a plus tool and the Mets might need him more.

Later
vtmet7

Post by vtmet7 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:14 am

MFS62 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:42 pm
vtmet7 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:58 pm the bigger story is likely the fact that Mauricio finally started playing a different position than shortstop recently. Something Mets fans have been seemingly waiting for since the Mets traded for Francisco Lindor and signed him long-term. Mauricio was at shortstop on Tuesday night, however, he played the previous three games at third base.
Interesting, but I'd prefer to see what he can do in center field where his speed would be a plus tool and the Mets might need him more.

Later
agreed...while the Juan Samuel 2B to CF thing didn't work out (mostly because Samuel's offense didn't carry to Shea like it played on the Vet's artificial turf)...The Mets biggest long term need is in Center Field; and his tool set suggests that he could be capable of playing CF (fast shortstop that looks a little too lanky for SS/3B/2B)...

from the sounds of it, it wasn't the Mets request for him to play 3B...Licey had another shortstop that they wanted to get in there at short, so the Licey team (with the Mets granting permission) decided to play him at third...
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:54 pm

I;ve seen some of his Winter League highlights and he looks pretty awesome. Switch hitter with power at a skill position, 2B, 3B who cares
vtmet7

Post by vtmet7 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:43 pm

MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:54 pm

He was named MVP,
after leading the league in hits, doubles and RBI. He also finished second in home runs (five), runs (26) and stolen bases (11) while posting a .287 batting average that was good for the league's third-best mark.
https://sny.tv/articles/mets-prospect-r ... sljWEsGMaM

Later
vtmet7

Post by vtmet7 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:37 pm

After raking in the winter leagues, and hitting impressively in Spring Training...Mauricio has kept it full throttle on hitting so far in AAA Syracuse:

13 runs;
22 hits;
1 triple;
7 doubles;
6 home runs;
14 RBI;
2 steals;
4 walks;
.355 Average;
1.193 OPS;
49 Total Bases in 16 games played.

It's been nice that this season, mlb.tv has included the Mets minor league games "live"...so I have been able to watch the Syracuse Mets play quite a bit...unlike the MLB games, you can't pause or watch them on delay
ashie62

Post by ashie62 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:23 pm

Ronny is a late bloomer of sorts

I get a sense he ultimately be traded but I hope not
Diabetic Squirrel