Fast prospects that can't run?

vtmet7

Fast prospects that can't run?

Post by vtmet7 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:31 pm

Not sure where to put this...but since it's a player development issue, I figured that "Adopt a prospect" is the best fit...
vtmet7

Re: Fast prospects that can't run?

Post by vtmet7 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:04 pm

IMO, the Mets have had several prospects in recent years (aka the "Sandy" years) that might have been considered fast runners, but looking at their numbers, it didn't translate into success in the running game...

Examples:

Ronny Maurico: 39 steals; 34 caught stealing (minors); however in the Dominican winter leagues: 11 steals; 2 caught stealing;

Amed Rosario:
Mets minors: 60 steals; 27 caught stealing;
Mets majors: 50 steals; 25 caught stealing;
Injuns/Guardians: 31 steals; 4 caught stealing;

Nimmo:
Minors: 41 steals; 31 caught stealing;
Majors: 23 steals; 14 caught stealing;

Andres Gimenez:
Minors: 101 steals; 50 caught stealing;
Mets: 8 steals; 1 caught stealing;
Injuns/Guardians: 31 steals; 3 caught stealing;
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:36 pm

Are you saying it may be the coaching?
Maybe.
But those players were very young when they were in the Mets minor League organization, and success later could be the result of maturity - knowing when NOT to run is as important as knowing when to run.
It also could be managerial style in certain situations.
Interesting point, though and I'd like to see organization -wide data to begin to see if there is a trend.

The current minor leaguer I'm keeping an eye on is Omar De Los Santos, who stole 70 bases (along with 16 home runs)this year, was caught stealing 15 times. He's 97-18 for his minor league career. It will be interesting to see what his numbers will be as he progresses up the organization ladder.

Later
"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness". William Lonsdale Watkinson
I have never insulted anyone. I simply describe them, accurately.
"They fear love because it creates a world they can't control" - George Orwell
vtmet7

Post by vtmet7 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:57 pm

Coaching as in not teaching them how to read pitchers and catchers.

By comparison, Cleveland got 104 steals with only 21 caught stealing from their starting infield, left fielder and center fielder last season. Some of them are guys that don't appear overly fast.
vtmet7

Post by vtmet7 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:14 pm

De Los Santos looks intriguing, however it's concerning that he's 23 but has never played above A ball St Lucie.
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:59 pm

vtmet7 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:14 pm De Los Santos looks intriguing, however it's concerning that he's 23 but has never played above A ball St Lucie.
The age thingie tends to make scouts discount prospects. But when they scout a college player of the same age, it is sometimes overlooked.
In his case I'd chalk that up to the disruption from the COVID situation and would like to see him advance and continue to produce this year.

Later
"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness". William Lonsdale Watkinson
vtmet7

Post by vtmet7 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:45 pm

MFS62 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:59 pm
vtmet7 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:14 pm De Los Santos looks intriguing, however it's concerning that he's 23 but has never played above A ball St Lucie.
The age thingie tends to make scouts discount prospects. But when they scout a college player of the same age, it is sometimes overlooked.
In his case I'd chalk that up to the disruption from the COVID situation and would like to see him advance and continue to produce this year.

Later
hopefully it's because of Covid disrupting minor league baseball...
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:46 am

From the recap of Brooklyn's 2-1 win last night.
Omar De Los Santos was the catalyst, leading off with a bunt single, stealing second, stealing third, then scoring on a wild pitch with two outs. Who says speed doesn’t have a place in the game.

Later