50%
50%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 2
Johnny Lunchbucket

Some Kind of Wonderful (1987)

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:59 am

I know we've discussed John Hughes before but saw this one again recently. It's not as funny as some of his flicks but better than most too.

Fun facts:
--Director Howard Duetsch married Lea Thompson
--Eric Stolz plays the lead character, not Andrew McCarthy
--Mary Stuart Masterson and I were born only a few weeks apart, which will give me something to talk about with her.
--The villian was way over the top
--Molly Ringwald turned down the opportunity to play Watts leading to a deterioration in her relationship with Hughes
--Movie referenced the Rolling Stones with characters named Watts, Keith and Amanda Jones
Edgy MD

Re: Some Kind of Wonderful (1987)

Post by Edgy MD » Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:42 am

Probably second only to Heaven Help Us in the Mary Stuart Masterson oeuvre (although Gardens of Stone has its partisans).

Cast went together to the premier of Pretty in Pink and were so surprised by how similar the love-triangle/wrong-side-of-the-tracks plot elements were that they spent the rest of the shoot singing "♪♬Aren't we ... Pretty in Pink!♪♬"

Although Pretty in Pink has the more iconic soundtrack, this film's selections are far more interesting and thoughtfully curated with more of a B- or C-team of dramatic alternative pop acts. (No version of the song that gives the film its title appears in the film or credits roll!)

About 83% of the comedy comes from Elias Koteas' supporting role, and it kinda shoulda been a breakthrough performance for him a la Jack Black in High Fidelity or Melissa McCarthy in Bridesmaids, but that just didn't work out, and that's all very sad.
A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.
metirish

Re: Some Kind of Wonderful (1987)

Post by metirish » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:27 am

I just watch it, been many years , I do remember really liking it, course as a 15 year old I probably liked all American movies of this genre