Post by metirish » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:16 pm

Currently streaming on Hulu

I watched it, but, wow , the kind of movie Oscar types seem to love

Having watched this I really feel Lily Gladstone was robbed
A Boy Named Seo

Re: Poor Things (2023)

Post by A Boy Named Seo » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:24 pm

*** spoiler stuff ***

I just watched it, too. This feels decidedly cowardly to say, but I can see merits of both the glowing and damning reviews of this movie. It was visually cool to look at (maybe a little heavy-handed with the wide-angle and fisheye stuff). Emma Stone was incredible (and Ruffalo's English accent was incredibly hilarious). I think the messages of female empowerment and sexual autonomy and telling "polite society" to fuck off all landed pretty well, but it was still also a movie about a literal woman with a baby brain created by a man with the intention of being the property of a man. Even Dafoe's character laments he can't fuck her because he's a eunuch, and seemed bummed that he found his weird-ass paternal instinct, which resulted in predictably terrible "paternal" decisions.

I kept wondering how many degrees removed from Weird Science this movie was and I'm still not sure I know. You have to trust a lot in the intent of the writer and the message of female sexual empowerment to be delivered. Cause without that, IMO it veers into Kelly LeBrock Frankenstein territory. Am I way off on that?

But I still think it was very good art and it got people debating, so that's good?
great googly moogly!
metirish

Re: Poor Things (2023)

Post by metirish » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:42 pm

Agree with the above, but, I can't say I enjoyed it just from an entertainment point of view