Hey, do we know these Brewers?

Centerfield

Hey, do we know these Brewers?

Post by Centerfield » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:16 am

Milwaukee comes into town with a .500 record, and a -14 run differential. They are probably better than their record suggests, having just wrapped up a tough 13 game stretch against LA and the Cardinals, where they dropped their last four.

Mainly they don't pitch that great. They're ranked 25th in team ERA (Mets are 24th). Most of that is on their starting pitching, but even their bullpen has taken a step back, with a 4.56 collective ERA. Hader remains filthy, but maybe they're a bit more vulnerable than last year.

Also, they have this guy Yelich who I hear is pretty good.
seawolf17

Re: Hey, do we know these Brewers?

Post by seawolf17 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:35 am

I was checking Yelich's numbers vs the Mets, and he is literally worse at Citi Field than at any other stadium where he's played any significant number of games. (Although his numbers in Coors, of all places, are similarly bad.)

That said, he missed the Citi Field series last year and went 9-18 in our four games in Milwaukee. So whatever that means.
Ceetar

Post by Ceetar » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:21 am

Brewers pitchers have more fWAR hitting than pitchng.
Please listen to my podcast? You Did What Now?

Please listen to our podcast? Mets On Tap

www.ceetar.com/optimisticmetsfan

Barley Prose
G-Fafif

Post by G-Fafif » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:54 am

Won't care this weekend, but I rooted hard for them last October. Listened to their radio feed with the TV sound down and fell in love with Ueck all over again.
Hope for the best. Expect the Mets.
kcmets

Post by kcmets » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:00 pm

Greek diner staple, Moustakas (six homers, 10 RBIs), is questionable after missing
the last four games with a finger injury.

That's all I got.
#lgm #ygb #ymdyf
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:38 pm

I hate the Brewers. I liked 'em enough when they were in the AL 35 years ago.

They still play Ryan Braun for one thing
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:39 pm

Yasmani Granal is your catcher. He reportedly turned down big free agent $$ from the Mets.

Jesús Aguilar is your first baseman. At least he was the last time I checked. He's been awful this season. Like, the Orioles look at Chris Davis and say, "Well, at least he's better than Jesús Aguilar." I guess Eric Thames is starting to take his job.

Former White Sock infielder Tyler Saladino has been called up and will probably see time at second if Mousakas can't answer the bell. He looks half-Filipino, so maybe he and d'Arnaud can start a fraternal organization. His career was knocked off course by Tommy John, who can really be a dick when it comes to that sort of thing.

Sluggy, lefthanded third-baseman Travis Shaw is also off to a crappy start, dancing on the Mendoza line. His father was journeyman 90's reliever Jeff Shaw.

Orlando Arcia is the shortstop. He had power two years ago. It disappeared in 2018, but seems to be back now. I guess everybody's is back.

Ryan Braun is in left. He's not only a jerk, but he's also living in Mendozaland.

Lorenzo Cain in center is one of the few Brewer hitters who isn't off to a bad start. He's not off to that good a start but it looks good comparatively. He's also one of the few Brewers who doesn't strike out prodigiously. It's not like he's particularly good at avoiding strikeouts but he looks good comparatively.

But the redemption in that sluggish offense comes from rightfielder Christian Yelich. The defending MVP has absolutely eclipsed his performance from last season and along with a couple of solid relievers has made a .500 team out of a group that is otherwise playing last-place ball.

One of those relievers, Junior Guerra, has hit the bereavement list along with his 1.38 ERA.

We're looking at a clout-or-a-whiff team here, and if a well-rested deGrom is indeed healthy and on his game, we could be looking at eye-popping strikeout numbers. (This, of course, doesn't guarantee a win, especially in 2019.) Maybe it's a good day to try the Dominic Smith-at-shortstop experiment.
A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.
Frayed Knot

Post by Frayed Knot » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:25 pm

Gary & Gelbs went through a quickie Brewers KTE during one of the Philly games the other day.

- Their 13-13 record looks OK until you realize that they started 8-2. That's a June-2018 Metsian-type collapse. They've lost 7 of their last 8

- Their pitching is now officially the worst in the NL, they 'caught' the Mets in ERA (going the wrong way) a couple of days ago

- Are ridiculously dependent on the HR with HRs accounting for over 70% of all their runs scored to date this season. The Mets in their HR-happiest year were only around 50%
Yelich (13) is the main power source followed by Grandal (6), Moustakas (6), Braun (5) & Thames (5)

- Their only good starter this year has been Zach Davies. We've seen him six times as a Brewer, twice in each of the last three seasons; he's the skinny dude (6' 0" / 160) who looks like he's about 15 years old.
So to combat that he went out and got himself a bunch of dorky tattoos and they worked to the extent that he now looks like he's at least a 16 y/o ... only with a bunch of dorky tattoos. He actually just turned 26
We're scheduled to see him on Sunday

- the big blemish on Josh Hader's season to date is that 3 of the 6 hits he's given up is his 12 IP have been HRs - and he would have had a 4th on his record except that Lorenzo Cain stole a sure game-tying one back
from over the fence on Opening Day
Posting Covid-19 free since March of 2020
LWFS

Post by LWFS » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:59 pm

Edgy MD wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:39 pm Former White Sock infielder Tyler Saladino has been called up and will probably see time at second if Mousakas can't answer the bell. He looks half-Filipino, so maybe he and d'Arnaud can start a fraternal organization. His career was knocked off course by Tommy John, who can really be a dick when it comes to that sort of thing.
Edgy, you DO have an eye. (Also, his dad is a skateboarding pioneer with links to the Z-Boys, of "Dogtown and Z-Boys" renown.)
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:02 pm

Whoah!
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:11 pm

Old allies that are now adversaries on the Milwaukee payroll mainly includes Bobby Wahl, who went to the Mid-west as part of the Keon Broxton deal. Bobby is currently collecting his salary on the 60-Day IL. 1992 Met Mark Dewey is their pitching coordinator on the development staff. Dewey's 1992 teammate Ryan Thompson is part of their scouting team.

Mets who used to Brew include Keon Broxton (natch). Mets VP of international and amateur scouting, and longtime scouting director before that, Tommy Tanous, started his career in the Milwaukee organization.
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:22 pm

LWFS wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:59 pm
Edgy MD wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:39 pm Former White Sock infielder Tyler Saladino has been called up and will probably see time at second if Mousakas can't answer the bell. He looks half-Filipino, so maybe he and d'Arnaud can start a fraternal organization. His career was knocked off course by Tommy John, who can really be a dick when it comes to that sort of thing.
Edgy, you DO have an eye. (Also, his dad is a skateboarding pioneer with links to the Z-Boys, of "Dogtown and Z-Boys" renown.)
I got two, man. And I'm always on the lookout for half-Filipinos. I'm planning to open The Half-Pinoy Hall of Fame. Lou Diamond-Phillips, Rob Schneider, d'Arnaud, Vanessa Hudgens, and Tia Carrere can be my inaugural class.