Catch-22: Francisco Álvarez

Post by Edgy MD » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:05 am

NAME: Francisco Álvarez
  POSITION: Catcher
  NUMBER: Wore 75 in camp. Currently rocking 24 in Binghamton
  NICKNAME: "Troll"
  fWAR IN 2021: 0.0
  ZIPS PROJECTION FOR 2022: 1.4

I see by the lack of responses in the Joey Fuego thread that you are all shocked that ZIPS projects recovering warrior Joey Lucchesi to be the 11th-fWARiest Met of 2022. Well, what does it say that they're projecting a guy currently in AA to be #12? I guess it means that they possibly think that the Mets' MLB roster grows pretty soft in the middle, or maybe that they think I'm totally awesome, or possibly that they don't know what they're doing.

I'm Francisco Álvarez, and I'm going for Door #2. Because I am awesome. I got a cool nickname, I'm routinely rated as one of the top two or three catching prospects in the game (sometimes #1), and I'm big and mighty.

They have these new devices that wrap around the catchers' forearms, so that they can signal to the pitcher what pitch to throw, and my manager joked that it wouldn't fit around my forearms. I just get up in the morning looking like I'm going to fuck something up. And I do fuck some things up. I've hit 31 homers in 596 minor league plate appearances and I'm just hitting my stride.

But I'm just 20 years old, and those 596 plate appearances are comparable to major league season. I'm green, is what you might say.

But green is what trolls often are. They're often scary as shit as well. When they appear in a story, the story turns.

So, let me know, when am I going to appear and just how is that story going to turn.

A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.
Benjamin Grimm

Re: Catch-22: Francisco Álvarez

Post by Benjamin Grimm » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:17 am

I don't think he'll be a big leaguer this year, but it would be nice if he could at least make it to Syracuse. I guess he may be promoted to the Mets if both McCann and Nido flop, but I think Nido will at least be able to hold down the job for a while even if McCann continues to disappoint.

I wasn't aware until now this Alvarez's nickname is "Troll". How did that come about? Does he like to hang out under bridges and harass billy goats?
Edgy MD

Re: Catch-22: Francisco Álvarez

Post by Edgy MD » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:48 pm

According to Baseball America, I gained the nickname in my early teens, after developing my powerful forearms lifting bags of cement for my father's construction business in Venezuela.

Either that or it's in reference to my propensity to visit Internet forums and start shit with people just to get a rise out of them.
A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.