Twenty-Three Skiddoo: Brandon Nimmo

Edgy MD

Twenty-Three Skiddoo: Brandon Nimmo

Post by Edgy MD » Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:40 pm

My first few years, I was good enough when healthy to make you wonder just how terrific I could be in a full season. Well, I finally had a full season in 2022, and I was ... good. I was a productive guy, but I lost 33 points off my on-base percentage, and that's, like, my defining stat.

You can make something of that. You can say that I fall off over the long haul. The Mets, to their credit, looked at it differently. They thought that, if I was actually that productive in a mediocre year, there's maybe some still un-realized goodness ahead, and even some productive mediocreness in down years, which isn't nothing, clearly.

Plus, I totally took a big step forward as a fielder. Maybe more. And when you're in the middle of the diamond, that's a really good thing.

So the Mets doubled down and signed me to a generous long-term contract. Waddaya think of THAT?! How will I reward them? How will I reward you?

ZIPs says they see 4.9 WAR for me this season. But that's just the data talking. What's ahead in 2023 for me, Brandon "Tater" Nimmo?

A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.
metirish

Re: Twenty-Three Skiddoo: Brandon Nimmo

Post by metirish » Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:32 pm

Gotta love a player that actually improves while you watch, I had him pegged as nothing more than a squad player ( soccer parlance) , 4th outfielder type , but God bless him he's making the most of his talents

Let's go Brandon ( when I first heard this I thought it had to be about our Brandon)
batmagadanleadoff

Post by batmagadanleadoff » Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:40 pm

Edgy MD wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:40 pm Well, I finally had a full season in 2022, and I was ... good. I was a productive guy, but I lost 33 points off my on-base percentage, and that's, like, my defining stat.

You can make something of that. You can say that I fall off over the long haul.
You can also make a plausible argument that Nimmo was the best centerfielder in the NL last season.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx? ... 2022-12-31
batmagadanleadoff

Post by batmagadanleadoff » Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:10 pm

batmagadanleadoff wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:40 pm
Edgy MD wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:40 pm Well, I finally had a full season in 2022, and I was ... good. I was a productive guy, but I lost 33 points off my on-base percentage, and that's, like, my defining stat.

You can make something of that. You can say that I fall off over the long haul.
You can also make a plausible argument that Nimmo was the best centerfielder in the NL last season.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx? ... 2022-12-31

In fact, we here at TCG have revised our end of the year all-star selections, to now include Brandon Nimmo as the NL's all-star center fielder, giving the 2022 Mets, three all-star selections, more than any other NL team. And with Lindor and Alonso just missing the cut, you could see how the Mets won 101 games last season.

Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:27 pm

Yeah, it's certainly a viable argument. Like with his prior Skidoo teammate Francisco Lindor, one can overlook that his very-goodness on offense is amplified to something like greatness by his terrific defense coming in the same package. His deal was a real win for the Mets this offseason.

If he's underselling himself in that first post, it's because he's a humble-talkin' guy.
A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.