Your shower is leaking: Home Repair in 2020 (and beyond)

Johnny Lunchbucket

Re: Your shower is leaking: Home Repair in 2020 (and beyond)

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:44 pm

Rainwater is penetrating the rear wall of our joint, need a repointing, and a new roof. New windows too.
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:30 pm

Waiting for a bid from our local plumber for replacing the toilet and sink in our downstairs bathroom.
His last few bids for work here have approached the national debts of several South American countries.
Later
"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness". William Lonsdale Watkinson
I have never insulted anyone. I simply describe them, accurately.
"They fear love because it creates a world they can't control" - George Orwell
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:05 pm

Johnny Lunchbucket wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:44 pm Rainwater is penetrating the rear wall of our joint, need a repointing, and a new roof. New windows too.
Yikes! Was that a result of a storm? Or ice dam buildup?
Later
"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness". William Lonsdale Watkinson
Benjamin Grimm

Post by Benjamin Grimm » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:35 pm

I bought three light shades at Lowes yesterday. It may or may not have been this model: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Style-Selectio ... 1002856216

When I was at the self-checkout, for each of the items I scanned (sale price $9.98), the kiosk offered an installation option, with a price of $149!

I could have opted to have someone install these three shades, which involves removing a light bulb, unscrewing the existing shade, screwing in the new one, and replacing the light bulb, for a mere $447!

When we did it ourselves, I felt like we saved a lot of money.
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:15 pm

Benjamin Grimm wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:35 pm I could have opted to have someone install these three shades, which involves removing a light bulb, unscrewing the existing shade, screwing in the new one, and replacing the light bulb, for a mere $447!

When we did it ourselves, I felt like we saved a lot of money.
Your manual dexterity is amazing.
Later
kcmets

Post by kcmets » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:39 pm

Annual boiler/furnace maintenance this morning. Boiler's fine, turns out
the floor moisture in that little utility stall isn't ground water seeping in
through the foundation but rather the hot water heater has a slow leak.

Yay, us!
#lgm #ygb #ymdyf
Chad ochoseis

Post by Chad ochoseis » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:25 pm

Of those two alternatives, I think you got the better one.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool.
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:23 pm

MFS62 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:30 pm Waiting for a bid from our local plumber for replacing the toilet and sink in our downstairs bathroom.
His last few bids for work here have approached the national debts of several South American countries.
Later
Well, we got the toilet and vanity. When the plumber got here, he said the old toilet is ok, BUT the angle of the pipe out to the septic system is uphill. To fix it, a hole will have to be drilled through my foundation floor (it is a basement bathroom) and a new pipe put in, along with a pump-up toilet.
But we did get the new vanity and sink installed.
Later
The Hot Corner

Post by The Hot Corner » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:47 pm

We built our house in 1996. We still have the original roof. It doesn't leak, but it is looking pretty worn. Decided to replace it before it becomes a problem. All of our neighbors are on their second or third roofs, even though our home is a few years older than most of the others in our neighborhood. The same gentleman who put on the original roof will be replacing it next month. He's slightly more expensive than some of the companies some our neighbors have used, but I know he does quality work with top grade materials.
When did the choices get so hard
With so much more at stake
Life gets mighty precious
When there's less of it to waste
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:02 am

The Hot Corner wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:47 pm We built our house in 1996. We still have the original roof. It doesn't leak, but it is looking pretty worn. Decided to replace it before it becomes a problem. All of our neighbors are on their second or third roofs, even though our home is a few years older than most of the others in our neighborhood. The same gentleman who put on the original roof will be replacing it next month. He's slightly more expensive than some of the companies some our neighbors have used, but I know he does quality work with top grade materials.
Depending on where you live (adverse climate) a roof usually lasts 20 to 30 years. Sounds like you got a good one.
Later
Benjamin Grimm

Post by Benjamin Grimm » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:38 am

I bought my house new in 2000. The builder's roof only lasted eight years. Its replacement has lasted twice as long and is still in great shape. I hope to be out of here before it turns twenty, so the lifespan mentioned above suits me fine.