Post-Mortem Juke Box

Fman99

Re: Post-Mortem Juke Box

Post by Fman99 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:01 pm

Edgy MD wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:18 pm Take it, Denny!

This is from "Rockshow," one of my all time favorite live music movies. Footage is from Wings' 1976 US tour and is some peak live McCartney/Wings/Beatles stuff.
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:42 pm

I'm a Wings R'n'RHoF advocate.

They may have had a lot of changes along the way, but to compare the R'n'R legacy of McCartney as a solo act (enshrined) with that of Wings (not enshrined) would be a mismatch.
A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.
metirish

Post by metirish » Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:38 pm

Don't know how else to post this , but you must hear this version of Jump from Aztec Camera
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:32 pm

did someone in Aztec Camera die?
metirish

Post by metirish » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:09 pm

Johnny Lunchbucket wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:32 pm did someone in Aztec Camera die?

Oh damn , I mis-read the thread title
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:10 pm

That's better than dying
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:13 pm

I had "Jump" on 12" with two or three minutes of extended guitar shredding at the end.

One of my closest friends from college dated Roddy Frame for a bit during a brief stay in New York when Aztec Camera was utterly anonymous in the States. She had hilarious stories about when she'd bring him home to Kearney, NJ, where her Irish mother would give him shit about his Scottish accent and eye makeup.

She's been going through some shit recently, and I was really scared I was going to have to break some bad news to her. But good! No Aztec Camera deaths (apart from my long-dead 12")!
metirish

Post by metirish » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:42 pm

That's a great story, my ness up wasn't in vain
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:18 pm

The first line of "Leader of the Pack" gave Joe Jackson the title of his first single/first hit, so there's a meaningful argument that without the Shangri-Las, JJ's career never takes off.

Beyond that, the line also was used as the first line of The Damned's "New Rose."

Still further, the first line of “Give Him a Great Big Kiss” is “When I say I'm in love, you best believe I'm in love, L-U-V!” is also the first line of the New York Dolls “Looking for a Kiss”.

That alone is a heck of a punk legacy for a so-called girl group, but their greatest impact might be on their fellow Queens natives*, The Ramones.

* And to bring this full circle with another thread, the group came out of Andrew Jackson High School in Cambria Heights, future home of Bud Harrelson.
Chad ochoseis

Post by Chad ochoseis » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:21 am

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool.
Fman99

Post by Fman99 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:41 am

Edgy MD wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:42 pm I'm a Wings R'n'RHoF advocate.

They may have had a lot of changes along the way, but to compare the R'n'R legacy of McCartney as a solo act (enshrined) with that of Wings (not enshrined) would be a mismatch.
Yeah, that doesn't make a ton of sense to me either. As much as I love love LOVE the "Ram" album, it's hard to argue that anything he did from 1980 onward was anywhere near as good as peak Wings output from the 1970s.
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:13 pm

This thread is the more appropriate place to note the passing at 66 of outlaw musician, actor, radio host, and dark evangelist Mojo Nixon — outlived, as fate would have it, by Don Henley.

G-Fafif

Post by G-Fafif » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:11 pm

Henry Fambrough on lead vocals.

Hope for the best. Expect the Mets.
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:55 pm

There isn't your neighborhood and my neighborhood. There isn't your people and my people. There is a world full of stories and of light, of hurt and of song.

It all begs for your attention. And it cries out that you are part of it. Be like Karl Wallinger and sing your song right back at it all.

Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:28 pm

World Party's first single "Private Revolution" may or may not be something of an inside joke, in that the style seems to aping that of The Revolution.

Also notable is a 19-year-old Sinead O'Connor singing backup and joyously dancing like a goofball. She appeared on two tracks on the album and Karl Wallinger returned the favor by helping get her solo career off the ground.

Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:04 am

It hasn't hit the wire yet (and perhaps won't make much of a splash when it does), but I just got social media news that Angela McCluskey has passed. The spirited Scots frontwoman of California alt-folk rock outfit Wild Colonials, she and her band had about 2/3 of a moment in the mid-nineties. Their crunchy sound was exactly the sort that folks gravitated toward when they had OD'd on grunge, but the band never got above headlining the second stage on the Lilith Fair tour. I think a lot of folks heard her voice and mistook her for Natalie Merchant, but they had a lot of good songs, whether or not you were looking to noodle-dance.

She'd later collaborate with a lot of folks, including Robbie Robertson and Guns 'n' Roses guitarist Richard Fortus.
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:35 am

I had that CD, carrots on the cover. One of the band members had ties to a work colleague. They were too adult for alternative, and too alternative for adult-alternative
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:48 am

I'm listening to that album now "This Can't Be Life" and above song is not on it. I was into them before they were small, I guess.

Here's the song I liked most for them (but not the one I remembered most)

Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:18 am

Yeah, the carrot album, This Can't Be Life, was the second, following up on the debut, Fruit of Life. The presence of "Life" in both titles was confusing enough, but that second-album cover sure seems to be the illustration of a collection titled "Fruit of Life."

As happens often enough, the first album had more good songs, and the second one rocked more. The bridge of "Charmed" (beginning around 1:45, as bridges do) rips like it's right out of the heart Lollapolooza era, which it is, while everything else about the song, and the video, seem like it's right out of the heart of the Lilith Fair era, which it is.

That may make them sound cynical, especially since they were out of LA, but they weren't. They were kind of like Lone Justice, one of those LA bands that were really, really close to being huge, but never actually reached big.

Solo acts can go from zero to huge, but I think bands have to take it step by step.

Image Image
metirish

Post by metirish » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:32 am

Roger always does great little stories , I never heard of this magazine, I'm sure some of you did?
Frayed Knot

Post by Frayed Knot » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:59 pm

The late Richie Havens from his seminal 1966 album 'MIXED BAG'.
Havens was more known for bringing his unique style to the songs of others and so didn't do a ton of song writing himself
but he did co-write this one. So what's it doing in the Post-Mortem Juke Box thread since Richie died over ten years ago?
Because his co-writer on the above 'Handsome Johnny' was one Louis Gossett Jr.
Posting Covid-19 free since March of 2020
Frayed Knot

Post by Frayed Knot » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:31 pm

Dickey Betts, with help from Warren Haynes, tackles acoustic lead guitar backing Gregg on 12-string.
A great version IMO -- although I'm not sure where or when this was done -- from Dickey's playing
to Gregg still being in good voice (and great hair) and right down to the little handshake at the end
where, despite the long and sometimes tortuous Gregg/Dickey history, they were still able with a
small gesture to say to each other, 'Nice job brother, we just nailed the hell out of that one'.

Posting Covid-19 free since March of 2020