dgwphotography

Re: Greatest Living NFL Dude

Post by dgwphotography » Wed May 24, 2023 1:03 pm

Roger Staubach.
A bad day behind the lens is still better than a good day behind a desk
kcmets

Post by kcmets » Wed May 24, 2023 1:58 pm

Lol, I knew you were going to type that before I opened the thread.
#lgm #ygb #ymdyf
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Wed May 24, 2023 2:19 pm

Yeah, that was assumed.

Working against Staubach was his late start, his early (relative to Brady) retirement, and shorter seasons most of his career, all of which conspired to allow Brady to appear in over two and a half times as many games.

If you are of a mind, you can adjust for that by mathematically standardizing the season length, and mentally filling in the gaps during his military years, like Hall of Fame electors often do for World War II-era baseball players. I'm not sure how far that gets him, or what sort of bonus he might get for two-minute drives, because I'm not investing that sort of time, but I'm sure someone has.
A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.
batmagadanleadoff

Post by batmagadanleadoff » Wed May 24, 2023 2:32 pm

I think Staubach's case, if he has one, rests to a significant degree, on his character and military service. Everyone's character counts, but Staubach's, more so than Brady's. Staubach can't beat Brady on stats alone no matter how you measure, even if you extrapolate Staubach's 14 game seasons to 16 game seasons. I mean, we're talking the greatest living NFLer, not simply great living NFLers.
dgwphotography

Post by dgwphotography » Wed May 24, 2023 3:30 pm

Edgy MD wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:19 pm Yeah, that was assumed.

Working against Staubach was his late start, his early (relative to Brady) retirement, and shorter seasons most of his career, all of which conspired to allow Brady to appear in over two and a half times as many games.

If you are of a mind, you can adjust for that by mathematically standardizing the season length, and mentally filling in the gaps during his military years, like Hall of Fame electors often do for World War II-era baseball players. I'm not sure how far that gets him, or what sort of bonus he might get for two-minute drives, because I'm not investing that sort of time, but I'm sure someone has.
Not to mention the rules changes. When Staubach he retired, he was the highest ranking QB in history, and then the rules changed.

When I saw Emmitt on the list, and he was a freaking God, he's not even the best in the history of his team (Bob Lilly, anyone?)
A bad day behind the lens is still better than a good day behind a desk
batmagadanleadoff

Post by batmagadanleadoff » Thu May 25, 2023 2:30 pm

Boy did I hate Staubach as a kid. I think he was my very first sports villain. Not Chamberlain or West. Or any Yankeee. Not Willie Stargell, whom I actually admired and kinda rooted for when he wasn't playing the Mets. No. It was Roger and his fucking Cowboys who eliminated my team from the playoffs three straight years -- twice in the NFC Championship Game. I grew to hate the Cowboys even more, I mean like loathing them, and to hate Staubach much, much less. He was a good guy and a fucking superstar, I gotta admit.
Poldo

Post by Poldo » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:56 am

The question is very subjective. Many argue for Tom Brady, citing his numerous championships and records. Others champion Peyton Manning's intelligence and impact on the game. Jerry Rice's unmatched receiving stats also earn him a place in the discussion. I will vote for Tom Brady. He has already achieved a lot in this sport and deserves this title. Moreover, if you look at sports platforms Sport Score, the people there have a similar opinion. Still, it comes down to personal preference and criteria for greatness when determining the best living player.
Last edited by Poldo on Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:25 am

Welcome aboard to Poldo! Way to debut in a 10-month-old thread.
A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:03 am

I see I voted "other" and I don't remember who that was.
Welcome, new person.
Later
"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness". William Lonsdale Watkinson
I have never insulted anyone. I simply describe them, accurately.
"They fear love because it creates a world they can't control" - George Orwell