Celly for the Hockey Thread

Frayed Knot

Re: Celly for the Hockey Thread

Post by Frayed Knot » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:54 pm

These games typically sell out (or reasonably close to it) so who am I to say ... but the on-ice action
has got to be little more than a rumor from some of those seats.
Posting Covid-19 free since March of 2020
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:06 pm

I thought about showing up today scared of freezing my ass off to see the Isles blow a multigoal lead like they do. Plus it's in Joisey
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:23 pm

Romanov has become a player. But now Barzy to the box . Scared
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:30 pm

Offs
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:31 pm

Isles the only team not to have an empty net goal this year
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:37 pm

OT. Hope this doesn't end with penalty shots
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:51 pm

I hat hockey
dgwphotography

Post by dgwphotography » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:30 am

Last night was a lot of fun (except for getting in and out of that place). It wasn't nearly as cold as we thought it would be - we've been colder during April night games at Shea. To say that youngestDGW was pissed at the outcome and the stupid penalty that preceded it would be an understatement.
A bad day behind the lens is still better than a good day behind a desk
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:19 am

I feel bad for young DGW.

If I'm the Islanders I try to find another team for Mayfield to play for. I like his spirit but he's been awful and sloppy this year. Romanov does everything he does 10x better.

Martin is more worthless now too, the whole 4th line no longer produces anything.

Lee, if he didn't have the C on his jersey, would be hard to justify keeping around too. Another guy I like but who is too slow and underskilled
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:38 am

A fun weekend except for the final goal.
I hadn't watched hockey on tv for a while and was amazed how well you could see the players and the ice on Saturday because of the daylight VS indoor arena lighting. And those drone cameras really let you see all the action.
The players got into the atmosphere. Even the Flyers were dressed like Rocky when the got off the bus.
The Islanders were dressed in business suits. Maybe if they dressed like hockey players they would have done better. :(

Later
"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness". William Lonsdale Watkinson
I have never insulted anyone. I simply describe them, accurately.
"They fear love because it creates a world they can't control" - George Orwell
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:46 am

It seems to me that the latter-day enjoyment of outdoor spectator hockey, especially with the softer winters of our modern times, is going to butt up for good against the reality of less-than-ideal configurations/remote sightlines of baseball and football stadiums, and it's high time somebody built a roofless arena to hockey/basketball specs, or perhaps a retractable roof dealio.

Actually, a more workable place to stage outdoor ice hockey matchups might be tennis stadiums, disused in winter months.

I realize the built-in lede and profitability of a 60,000-70,000 person draw is a big part of the appeal of such events, but how long before that novelty is gone and nobody really wants a chilly and remote view of February hockey?

Gimme a team that wants to make an outdoor (or outdoor/indoor) arena their year-round home.
A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:03 am

The preseason NHL series in Melbourne used the tennis stadium there
dgwphotography

Post by dgwphotography » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:44 am

Johnny Lunchbucket wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:19 am I feel bad for young DGW.

If I'm the Islanders I try to find another team for Mayfield to play for. I like his spirit but he's been awful and sloppy this year. Romanov does everything he does 10x better.

Martin is more worthless now too, the whole 4th line no longer produces anything.

Lee, if he didn't have the C on his jersey, would be hard to justify keeping around too. Another guy I like but who is too slow and underskilled
Thanks - As she is constantly reminded, she acts like her father when he watches the Mets - LOL

I think with their constant 3rd period failures, I conditioning is an issue. Fortunately, I think Roy is addressing that.
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:41 pm

Islanders have gotten themselves into a situation where they have to win every night when they've demonstrated all year that winning every night is something they cannot do. They have the Red Wings and their 6-game win streak tonight. They have radically changed lines.

Trade deadline is approaching and they are caught in the middle. They could probably dangle Brock Nelson and be the king of the sellers but GM is known to buy.
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:45 pm

So in the 6 days since that message -- 4 games, 4 tough opponents, 4 wins, and the Islanders the better team in each. Inching close to a playoff spot and a likely buyer at the deadline.

There is still time to get on this bandwagon, guys.
dgwphotography

Post by dgwphotography » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:15 pm

I’m not allowed to watch - LOL. She’s watched the last four games without me, respecting the streak and all…
Frayed Knot

Post by Frayed Knot » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:29 pm

I saw also that the absence of Lou Lamarillo hasn't kept the NY Devil's tradition of late season coach firings from continuing.
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:46 pm

One of my coworkers is a huge Devs fan. He says the coach wasn't the problem in Jersey but someone had to pay. It just went very wrong for them, goaltending has been bad, wasting a lot of high-octane offensive talent.
metirish

Post by metirish » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:46 am

Haha
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:38 pm

Isles beat the Rangers 3-2 in a spirited contest. As bad as the Islanders looked at times this year they are in the playoffs with 4 games left to play.
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:50 am

Frayed Knot

Post by Frayed Knot » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:15 pm

Edmonton's Connor McDvid notched his 100th assist of the season.
It's the first 100 assist season in the 21st century and the 14th overall.

So who had the previous 13? Glad you asked:
Bobby Orr, one - 102
Mario Lemieux, one - 114
Wayne Gretzky, ELEVEN: 102, 109, 109, 114, 118, 120, 121, 122, 125, 135, and ONE HUNDRED SIXTY FUCKING THREE!!

Any questions?
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:29 pm

You ever, perhaps, get the idea that the scorers had a different notion of what qualified as an assist when Gretzky was on the ice?

Not to disrespect the man, but the numbers were just so off the charts, even as his goal-scoring numbers fell of markedly.
Frayed Knot

Post by Frayed Knot » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:17 pm

There's very little subjectivity to awarding assists and the standards haven't changed. If you are one of the last two teammates to touch the
puck prior to the scorer scoring, and without the opposition getting ahold of it in between, then you are credited with an assist. There'll be the
occasional question about a scorer's view of things, just as in MLB, but those things are generally straightened out via replay reviews.

Gretzky did play in a high scoring era and in the higher scoring conference* and on a high-scoring team, so those pumped things up a bit.
But of course no one else in his era was anywhere close to him. And if you were to take away all of his goals scored, Gretzky's career points
total (goals plus assists) would still hold the NHL career mark.

* the western conference played a much more wide open game in that era as opposed to the more rough and tumble east, mirroring
almost perfectly how the styles of the east and west in the NBA differed at the same time
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:00 am

I agree that there's very little subjectivity. The numbers during his career, however, were just so beyond beyond, it felt like whatever little subjectivity there could be was working on his side.

Feelings aren't facts, of course, and I imagine the greater truth is that his goals diminished while his assists grew simply because defenses collapsing around him opened up scoring opportunities for the next guy to touch.

BUT THOSE NUMBERS WERE HUGE. And they stayed huge for a while.