Sade
2%
A Tribe Called Quest
6%

Total votes: 53
Edgy MD

Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees 2024

Post by Edgy MD » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:43 pm

metirish wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:55 pm Man I totally forgot about Bark at the Moon and Ultimate Sin

Zakk on. no More Tears was great

My bad , Ozzy for the HOF
There's probably not much cheesier on God's green earth than Ozzy cosplaying as J.R. Ewing.

Love it or hate it, we should none of us forget it.

A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.
A Boy Named Seo

Post by A Boy Named Seo » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:18 pm

Kool & The Gang is a trip. As of today, Kool has had 31 different members in his gang.
great googly moogly!
TransMonk

Post by TransMonk » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:07 pm

Not that I'm advocating for him, but Dave Matthews is still the all-time fave of most older-Millennial moms I know.

He also influenced the John Mayers, Jack Johnsons, Jason Mrazs, Ben Harpers, etc. to come.
i am a patient boy...i wait, i wait, i wait, i wait
metirish

Post by metirish » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:29 pm

The DMB cover of The Zombies "Time of the season" is really great( live version)
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:31 pm

TransMonk wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:07 pm Not that I'm advocating for him, but Dave Matthews is still the all-time fave of most older-Millennial moms I know.

He also influenced the John Mayers, Jack Johnsons, Jason Mrazs, Ben Harpers, etc. to come.
I like moms, but that second paragraph is totally not helping me pull the trigger.
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:46 am

In 93 or 94 I was Dave Matthews Band fan. Saw him perform at least twice. I think even then it was exotic to see a multiracial band and the place reliably flipped out when he sings the "people in every di-rection," line. I think they got dull after that.

Speaking of multiracial bands who should be considered for the RNRHOF, I've recently discovered the back catalog of Hot Chocolate, who you might know for "You Sexy Thing" and "Every 1s a Winner" They had hits in their native UK practically every year for a decade and more than disco did a funky pop rock thing that had to have inspired Prince. Lots of progressive social consciousness in the lyrics and harmonies.

Hot Chocolate for the Hall!!!!

Marshmallowmilkshake

Post by Marshmallowmilkshake » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:58 am

I like Dave Matthews. We had a miserable experience at one of his concerts, though not necessarily the band's fault. But it was a long time before my wife would go to another concert.
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:16 am

I'm appreciating these alternative nominees, and I definitely think discussion that leads to an alternative ballot and well defined standards gets us further down the road than discussion of the current misbegotten ballot.

That said, I've selected my five choices, and those are the correct choices, and everyone who disagreed with my choices is wrong.
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:46 am

Phun Phrampton Phact: In the late seventies, facing the quadruple disaster of drug addiction, being robbed blind by his manager, unable to navigate his career between rock cred and teen dreaminess, and appearing in the unwatchable Sgt. Pepper film, Frampy received an offer from Pete Townsend to replace him in The Who, with Townsend continuing to write for the band but ceasing touring.

Pete turned Pete down, recognizing how impossible it was to fill such shoes, and how utterly rejected he would be by Who fans, but a few days later, realizing his career could use any lifeline, he called Townsend back wanting to at least continue the conversation. According to Frampton, Townsend didn't recall having made such an offer in the first place, and that was that.

Or maybe it was Frampton who misremembered, and he had dreamed the whole thing up himself.
A Boy Named Seo

Post by A Boy Named Seo » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:07 am

RE: DMB

I went to see Dave Matthews Band once in probably '97 or '98 because I was into this Birkenstock, sundress, and choker-wearing baddie, and I was hoping she wanted to crash into me, yeah (I'll see myself out). So we went to a giant field crammed with probably 20,000 current and future Phish fans at the very height of DMB's powers. We tried to get closer to the stage, dodging all the barefoot women who were carelessly floating and twirling with their arms overhead as barefoot, twirling women are wont to do. We never found a spot close enough to the stage and ended up near a video screen where we could see the action on stage that we couldn't get close enough to, the entire day falling woefully short of expectations. I was a convert of neither the band nor the girl.

RE: Oasis and A Tribe Called Quest

These guys are probably this year's Kirby Pucketts - shorter career, very bright peak - but could be said of both that for a period of time anyway, they were the best players on their team. Oasis were the biggest name Brit Pop export who wrote a bunch of certifiable bangers and compared to Blur or Stone Roses, were actually hugely popular in America for a couple album cycles at least. Maybe more impressively, ATCQ was critically worshipped by peers and fans at a time when east coast hip-hop was probably at it's zenith. You had Wu-Tang, Nas, Jay-Z, Mos Def, De La Soul, Biggy, etc., but it was Tribe who put out two damn near perfect albums in Low End Theory and Midnight Marauders (my personal fav and all-time top-5 hip-hop for me) and they were the leaders of this incredible field. I vote for both acts based on the cultural earthquakes each sort of created.
great googly moogly!
Fman99

Post by Fman99 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:21 am

I picked Frampton, Jane's Addiction, Foreigner, Ozzy and Lenny Kravitz. But fuck the R&RHOF though, seriously.
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:40 am

I always wondered if there was just one person out there who considers Lenny Kravitz his or her's favorite rocker. I kinda see him as an add-on for people who like Jimi Hendrix or U2 or Jamiroquai, in the same the way shake-n-bake doesn't get in your shopping basket unless chicken is in there too. He's the shake-n-bake is what I'm saying.
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:50 am

Johnny Lunchbucket wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:40 am in the same the way shake-n-bake doesn't get in your shopping basket unless chicken is in there too. He's the shake-n-bake is what I'm saying.
To me the acting equivalent of that is Martin Short. He's the other guy in a lot of movies but I've never known anyone who said. "Ooohh, look. A new Martin Short movie is coming out. I gotta' see that".

Later
"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness". William Lonsdale Watkinson
I have never insulted anyone. I simply describe them, accurately.
"They fear love because it creates a world they can't control" - George Orwell
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:05 pm

Edgy: Check out what A Boy Named Seo wrote:
A Boy Named Seo wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:07 am RE: DMB

I went to see Dave Matthews Band once in probably '97 or '98 because I was into this Birkenstock, sundress, and choker-wearing baddie, and I was hoping she wanted to crash into me, yeah (I'll see myself out). So we went to a giant field crammed with probably 20,000 current and future Phish fans at the very height of DMB's powers. We tried to get closer to the stage, dodging all the barefoot women who were carelessly floating and twirling with their arms overhead as barefoot, twirling women are wont to do. We never found a spot close enough to the stage and ended up near a video screen where we could see the action on stage that we couldn't get close enough to, the entire day falling woefully short of expectations. I was a convert of neither the band nor the girl.
Ms. Edgy: Funny! Are people writing their Valentine's Day memories?

Edgy: No, he just shared because The Dave Matthews Band just received a Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame nomination.

Ms. Edgy: Oof! This is what we've come to.
A Boy Named Seo

Post by A Boy Named Seo » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:17 pm

It's like when Rob was sorting his records autobiographically in High Fidelity. If I want to listen to "Satellite" I have to remember I put it in the Summer of '98 pile when me and Jessica Zee watched DMB in some giant-ass field.
great googly moogly!
A Boy Named Seo

Post by A Boy Named Seo » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:49 pm

Marshmallowmilkshake wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:58 am I like Dave Matthews. We had a miserable experience at one of his concerts, though not necessarily the band's fault. But it was a long time before my wife would go to another concert.
This made me think of the DMB shit cruise.
great googly moogly!
Frayed Knot

Post by Frayed Knot » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:15 pm

Along with Cher's views mentioned earlier, Liam Gallagher issued both a vow not to attend if chosen with a stiff 'Fuck the R&R HoF' to
go along with it. Not surprisingly he also managed to get a few jabs in at brother Noel in the process, something along the lines of 'he
craves the attention of wankers like them so he'll probably attend'.

I think it's safe to say that most of us expected nothing less.
Posting Covid-19 free since March of 2020
TransMonk

Post by TransMonk » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:22 pm

Fman99 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:21 am But fuck the R&RHOF though, seriously.
This is where I'm at. The Pat Benetar induction took away what little respect I had for the institution and this year's nom list has done nothing to gain any of it back.
Marshmallowmilkshake

Post by Marshmallowmilkshake » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:58 pm

TransMonk wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:22 pm
Fman99 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:21 am But fuck the R&RHOF though, seriously.
This is where I'm at. The Pat Benetar induction took away what little respect I had for the institution and this year's nom list has done nothing to gain any of it back.
I have to ask. You were OK with the disco artists and rappers, but putting Pat Benetar, a solid and successful rocker by any standard though not everyone's taste, made the Hall jump the shark?
TransMonk

Post by TransMonk » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:25 pm

It's not that she didn't "rock"...her HOF resume is just thin. I'm pretty sure I made that argument is in that year's thread.
batmagadanleadoff

Post by batmagadanleadoff » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:28 pm

TransMonk wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:25 pm It's not that she didn't "rock"...her HOF resume is just thin. I'm pretty sure I made that argument is in that year's thread.
Lower standards. A rock and roll career that is the equivalent of Jerry Koosman's MLB career gets you into the R&R HOF. Probably even less than that. A Jesse Orosco-like R&R career gets you into the R&R HOF.
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:58 am

I would also like to nominate XTC for the RNRHOF.

Plusses
--great songwriters (exotic and poppy at the same time
--great players (listen to the bass line in "Mayor of Simpleton")
--career longevity -- (technically never broke up, roots back to 1972)

Minuses
--not great singers
--hurt themselves by not touring
--Not nearly enough hits (best showing on the Billboard charts was 76; yet never came close to being a Klassik Rawk staple)

do you vote for them?
metirish

Post by metirish » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:47 am

Shilling for votes
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:59 am

I embrace Paul McCartney's musical legacy with all my heart, but I have to say that 65% of what's wrong with the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame can be traced to The Beatles, and of that, 2/3 to Paul McCartney. He's, like, willfully unwilling to have a serious and useful thought on the matter, but his unserious thoughts are taken incredibly seriously.
metirish

Post by metirish » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:48 pm

I'm just going to say it , I find him incredibly annoying