Rock Reconsidered

Johnny Lunchbucket

Rock Reconsidered

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:05 am

Hello, I just found out that "The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades" band Timbuk 3 wasn't some "Saved by the Bell" joke as I believed in 1986 but an actual pretty good act (husband & wife and a drum machine). I mean I guess I knew "Shades" was at heart at ironic song about Reaganism but I didn't give it much thought and it came off like a novelty, one-hit effort (which it sorta was) and that's where it stayed with me for 38 years... until this week.

I streamed their first 2 rekkids several times this week and like Hot Chocolate they count as a pleasant discovery. Folky, sometimes bluesy, stripped down rock, quirky lyrics, harmonies, fake drums... reminds me in a way of the Crash Test Dummies.

They lasted 10 years and 6 albums. The couple is split up now

Put your musical rediscoveries here
Edgy MD

Re: Rock Reconsidered

Post by Edgy MD » Wed May 15, 2024 9:34 am

New Michael McDonald memoir, as told to Paul Reiser, due out May 21. If you're lining up at midnight, I'll see you there.

Coming up with the title — candidate for the shortest conversation ever?

A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.
Benjamin Grimm

Post by Benjamin Grimm » Wed May 15, 2024 9:38 am

Paul Reiser?
Frayed Knot

Post by Frayed Knot » Wed May 15, 2024 11:56 am

So a musician and an actor team up to write a book about the musician ...
What, no one could afford, y'know, a writer?
Posting Covid-19 free since March of 2020
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Wed May 15, 2024 1:15 pm

The factoid that sticks in my mind about Michael was at one time, he was the only singer to have won a Grammy as a solo artist, part of a duet and as part of a larger group. I'm not sure if this has been done since.
(disclaimer), I may have him mixed up with another singer.

Later
"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness". William Lonsdale Watkinson
I have never insulted anyone. I simply describe them, accurately.
"They fear love because it creates a world they can't control" - George Orwell
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Wed May 15, 2024 1:56 pm

Reiser has plenty of writing experience.

The memoir grew out of the two of them hanging out during the pandemic — they're apparently neighbors, and the lockdown left their careers at loose ends — and McDonald telling stories of his sordid past.

I feel like it's a book I've already written a fictionalized version of his story in my head.
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Wed May 15, 2024 2:04 pm

I watched McDonald's interview with Rick Beato (older brother of Pedro iirc). Seems like a storytellin kind of guy but wasn't the most interesting man in the world.
Frayed Knot

Post by Frayed Knot » Wed May 15, 2024 2:32 pm

Edgy MD wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:56 pm Reiser has plenty of writing experience.
When an actor starts writing books that almost exactly parallel the arc that the character he's playing on TV is going through -- COUPLEHOOD,
followed by BABYHOOD, then PARENTHOOD -- I tend to assume that those books are ghosted ... but maybe not.
Bill Cosby had earlier trod the same ground by coming out with FATHERHOOD during the time he was playing a father on his eponymous TV show.
As far as I know he didn't also write one called RAPIST but I could be wrong.
Posting Covid-19 free since March of 2020
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Wed May 15, 2024 2:52 pm

He wrote for his standup act and then his character on TV was a variation on his stage persona, and so he did a lot of the writing on his show.
Benjamin Grimm

Post by Benjamin Grimm » Wed May 15, 2024 2:57 pm

That's a common enough path. Jerry Seinfeld and Ray Romano did the same thing. And so did Burns and Allen and Jack Benny.
Centerfield

Post by Centerfield » Wed May 15, 2024 5:26 pm

Frayed Knot wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:32 pm
Edgy MD wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:56 pm Reiser has plenty of writing experience.
When an actor starts writing books that almost exactly parallel the arc that the character he's playing on TV is going through -- COUPLEHOOD,
followed by BABYHOOD, then PARENTHOOD -- I tend to assume that those books are ghosted ... but maybe not.
Bill Cosby had earlier trod the same ground by coming out with FATHERHOOD during the time he was playing a father on his eponymous TV show.
As far as I know he didn't also write one called RAPIST but I could be wrong.
PRISONER gonna be a big hit.
Fman99

Post by Fman99 » Mon May 20, 2024 12:08 pm

Johnny Lunchbucket wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:04 pm I watched McDonald's interview with Rick Beato (older brother of Pedro iirc). Seems like a storytellin kind of guy but wasn't the most interesting man in the world.
Saw him live on the Doobie Brothers' most recent appearance in Syracuse, 2022-ish. My third time seeing the Doobies but the first time in many years that Mike McD had toured with them. It was cool to hear some of the songs live from the more yacht-rocky Doobie albums.
metirish

Post by metirish » Mon May 20, 2024 12:48 pm

Johnny Lunchbucket wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:04 pm I watched McDonald's interview with Rick Beato (older brother of Pedro iirc). Seems like a storytellin kind of guy but wasn't the most interesting man in the world.

Rick Beato is great, I actually googled to see if he was Pedro's brother 😳