Petco Park

Johnny Lunchbucket

Petco Park

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:14 am

Never seen a game there but I've been living across the street from it for 3 days. Good amount of homeless guys around the park.

Can get a tour but there's new sod on the field so you can't get on it. There is also construction work on three sides of it right now as they prep for the season.

The Padres have had so many unis over the years their apparel shop is like a mall with the orange and brown, yellow and brown, blue and orange, sand, blue and white, blue and grey. It was loaded with fresh Machado stuff and guys were buying it. Of course they are said to be returning to brown next season. Brad Hand and Corey Spangenberg shirseys on the discount rack.

Some cool stuff on the plaza outside including big paintings of Hoffman, Gwynn, Winfield and Randy Jones and a Padre Hall of Fame plaque collection- one plaque for every HOFer to ass thru including Piazza, thoughtful but kinda funny. More is better.

I got a kick out of Randy Jones who was so 70s with his perm and his brown uni.
A Boy Named Seo

Re: Petco Park

Post by A Boy Named Seo » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:20 pm

My favorite of the new parks. Wide open concourse, great views throughout. Good in-game beer selection. Damn, I love San Diego.
great googly moogly!
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:41 pm

The other thing I realized was the warehouse you see over the left field fence on TV is something of an illusion as it's part of the structure itself, or I guess an existing building they incorporated into the construction. That building is where the ticket windows and team shop are and all part of the block the park occupies.
Frayed Knot

Post by Frayed Knot » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:12 pm

Yeah, that metal supply company building was a pre-existing structure with landmark (or something akin to it) status so the stadium was built around it. So where as you'd normally set home plate
where you want it and adjust everything around that, in this case everything radiated out from the corner of the building which, because it's not square to the field, doubles as the left-field pole.
Last edited by Frayed Knot on Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Posting Covid-19 free since March of 2020
Centerfield

Post by Centerfield » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:47 am

A Boy Named Seo wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:20 pm My favorite of the new parks. Wide open concourse, great views throughout. Good in-game beer selection. Damn, I love San Diego.
Couldn't agree more. Absolutely love it.
HahnSolo

Post by HahnSolo » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:09 am

I went to SD on business about 8 years ago. Middle of January, but what I liked was you could access the left field corner (behind the fence behind the foul pole) via the team store in the ground floor of the Western Metal building. Also, I grabbed lunch and was able to sit on a bench behind the CF fence where the old sandbox used to be. The area behind CF was a public park that was only closed off during games. They also used to show road games on a big screen in that park.