Guaranteed Rate Field - Chisox

cal sharpie

Guaranteed Rate Field - Chisox

Post by cal sharpie » Wed May 08, 2019 4:52 pm

Worst name for a stadium ever.

Went to the Sox vs. Sox game last Sunday. Was 2-2 until the 8th when the visitors poured on 7 runs including a grand slam by Xander Bogaerts. I left after that as I had plans in the evening.

The Cubs and Cards were playing that night and there were a lot of people in gear from those teams as well as Red Sox fans. I figure they were mainly outta towners who wanted a doubleheader. Looking down from my front row upper deck seat I counted four Mookie Betts shirts, only Jose Abreu had more.

Forgettable park other than the fact that there are fireworks both when the game started and after a Chisock hits a home run (which they did twice for their only runs). I got a Chisox soccer jersey. If any of you want it, you can have it.

Decent beer selection. Hot dog adequate, nothing more.

Many retired numbers: 2, 3, 4, 9, 11, 14, 16, 19, 32 and 72.

"Races" with people wearing big heads of ex-White Sox. Mark Buehrle was the winner over I forget, maybe Nellie Fox was one of them. Buehrle's number is not retired but apparently is going to be one day (56).
Centerfield

Re: Guaranteed Rate Field - Chisox

Post by Centerfield » Thu May 09, 2019 12:59 pm

Great report. How was the surrounding area?
TransMonk

Post by TransMonk » Thu May 09, 2019 2:23 pm

I'll be there for the gay dame vs. the Mets on 08/01/19.
i am a patient boy...i wait, i wait, i wait, i wait
Willets Point

Post by Willets Point » Thu May 09, 2019 11:08 pm

I've been there a couple of times. It's nice on the lower level, I sat in the bleachers the first time, but the upper levels are pretty miserable. There's not much to do in the surrounding area as the ballpark is surrounded by a parking lot and a massive freeway.
41Forever

Post by 41Forever » Fri May 10, 2019 8:49 am

There are some neat things to do at Comiskey. The statues of the legends are spread around the concourse in centerfield, as is the shower that used to be in the bleachers of the old park. Look for the marker for the old home plate and batters boxes in the parking lot. The view of the Chicago skyline is spectacular, best viewed from the ramps. It's very kid friendly, with a whole kids section in left center with all kinds of baseball skill games. There's a massive monument to the World Series champs just outside the stadium.

There are many murals on the upper deck concourse of Sox players from the past, and I always look for the Seaver section, which is on the third base side.

One thing I don't like: If you have an upper deck ticket, you can't get down to the lower levers. They might have changed this awful policy in recent years, but I haven't heard and last year we made sure to get seats in the lower level. Here's a tip: If you are in the upper deck and want to get down to see the statues and things, go to the customer service booth in the upper deck and tell them you want to go to the big store on the lower level and ask for a "shoppers Pass." Once you are down there, no one checks and you can roam freely.

As for the neighborhood, if you go west on the main drag -- I think it's 35th street -- for several blocks there is a really good fan store. But there's nothing much else to see. Do look at the murals on the walls of the overpass. Some good stuff there!

I've had a tender spot for the Sox since Seaver was there and had some crazy adventures at old Comiskey. Got to cover the final game. The new one is probably No 2 or 3 for me in terms of total games attended. Chicago is about three hours away, and my buddy lives there. We're big Frank Thomas fans.
Willets Point

Post by Willets Point » Fri May 10, 2019 12:45 pm

Agree with the views of the skyline. I got some great pictures up there.

They do still have the policy of not allowing people with upper level tickets into the field level area, but at the game I went to with my family last year there was no one enforcing it. We wandered around the field level before the game and my wife & son returned during the ninth inning. Maybe they're stricter when the attendance is better because this game had a very poor turnout.
cal sharpie

Post by cal sharpie » Fri May 10, 2019 2:19 pm

i don't know much about the neighborhood.

I was staying in the Loop and wanted to go there via their version of Citibike (Divvy). Thing is, Divvy only goes as far south as Grant Park (don't want the poor folks to have access I guess). I took it that far and thought about walking but not knowing the neighborhoods in-between I ended up taking the El the rest of the way and still didn't have time to linger so I guess it was good I caught the train. As I mentioned earlier, had an engagement that evening so I couldn't stick around afterward. Yes, still can't go down if you have an upper deck ticket - it was a big crowd so it looked like it was being enforced.
Fman99

Post by Fman99 » Thu May 23, 2019 12:06 pm

Not allowing fans to go downstairs is shitty. Even if you have to make people ask for a shoppers' pass. That's some corporate elitism run amok.
vtmet7

Post by vtmet7 » Sat May 28, 2022 5:13 pm

cal sharpie wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:52 pm Worst name for a stadium ever.
lol...agreed, but the Mets also had some dumb names for their Spring Training park in nowhereville, Florida
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Sat May 28, 2022 6:50 pm

I went many years ago on a humid summer night. The power went out. Burnitz hit a home run, and there were numerous brawls in the stands... figured out later the fighters came from an afternoon Cubs game. Donuty park, dark corridors for bleh food.