PNC Park - Pittsburgh

seawolf17

PNC Park - Pittsburgh

Post by seawolf17 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:58 am

PNC seems to get the "best park in the majors" tag, but I disagree.

Views were obviously fantastic of downtown, but other than that, it seemed really cramped. Food options seemed kind of limited on the concourse - it was basically the same hot dog stand over and over, with a few specialty options sprinkled in. (The Pierogie Hoagie was THE REAL DEAL, though.)

Friendly folks all around, though. Surprising number of jerseys and shirseys of guys you only kinda remember, too.
Benjamin Grimm

Re: PNC Park - Pittsburgh

Post by Benjamin Grimm » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:23 am

Those french-fry sandwiches from Primanti Brothers are way overrated. The one word that best describes them is "awful".
bmfc1

Post by bmfc1 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:22 pm

Benjamin Grimm wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:23 am Those french-fry sandwiches from Primanti Brothers are way overrated. The one word that best describes them is "awful".
I had one last year at their Hagerstown, MD restaurant and felt sick for a whole day.
Centerfield

Post by Centerfield » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:15 pm

STRONG DISAGREE MY FRIEND.

PNC Park is a treasure. So, I concede that the food is bad, so you eat downtown before heading over. Lots of great pubs and restaurants to choose from. Then walk over the bridge and you're right there at the park. For me, every ballpark should be next to a bridge. Visit the statue of Honus Wagner before you walk in. A statue to commemorate their greats. What a novel concept. Once you get in, the sights are amazing. The bridges and downtown in the background...I recommend sitting on the third base line. Amazing views.

There's a picnic area along the river where you can hang out pre-game. It's like being at a riverside park, except there is good beer and baseball. It's so funny, to me, this felt so spacious and nice. You can also go visit the bronze casting of Ralph Kiner's hands. This was a little weird, but if you're artsy, I guess that's a thing.

As night falls, and the lights come on, you can see the skyline behind the RF fence. The Highmark building is pretty cool looking. Just an amazing place to take in a game. I recommend going to a game when deGrom is pitching and returning hero Neil Walker hits 2 HRs.

https://www.ultimatemets.com/gamedetail.php?gameno=8913

This will make the experience very enjoyable.

Then at night, you stumble back to your hotel room and walk over those bridges again. Breathtaking sights.