Loan Dep…I’m Still Calling It Marlins Park, Miami Florida

stevejrogers

Loan Dep…I’m Still Calling It Marlins Park, Miami Florida

Post by stevejrogers » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:39 pm

Heading down to Miami to catch two of the Mets games later in the month.
seawolf17

Re: Loan Dep…I’m Still Calling It Marlins Park, Miami Florida

Post by seawolf17 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:25 am

I went to two games there a few years ago, and was oddly fascinated by it. The first game it was rainy, so the outfield walls were closed and it felt cavernous and echoey, like a convention center. (The same way we felt about le Stade Olympique in 2004.) Two nights later, it was a gorgeous night, the walls were open, and it felt MUCH nicer.

Love love love the "bobblehead museum."

Feel free to give them crap at the team store for not carrying any Tom Koehler merch back in the day.
stevejrogers

Post by stevejrogers » Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:42 am

seawolf17 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:25 am Feel free to give them crap at the team store for not carrying any Tom Koehler merch back in the day.
Just did a surface Google search for a Floridian college with “Stone” in the name. Did come up with what looks like a trade school in Miami, but might be too small for the sake of a “Stony Brook!? You mean…?” bit ;)

There is a mini beer fest going on before the Saturday game.

A craft brewery has a beer hall inside the stadium proper, and they have an American style lager named Marlin
Lager.

And there is a craft brewery in a parking garage complex across the street.

Should have a thing or two about all three for Mets On
Tap ;)
seawolf17

Post by seawolf17 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:00 pm

We were there at the end of April 2015. Koehler was reasonably well established as probably their #3 starter at that point, and Jose Fernandez was hurt early that season so he was even technically more than that. It's not like he was an All-Star by any means, but I still thought there was at least a small chance to see a KOEHLER 34 shirsey for sale. LOL!
batmagadanleadoff

Post by batmagadanleadoff » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:00 pm

seawolf17 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:00 pm We were there at the end of April 2015. Koehler was reasonably well established as probably their #3 starter at that point, and Jose Fernandez was hurt early that season so he was even technically more than that. It's not like he was an All-Star by any means, but I still thought there was at least a small chance to see a KOEHLER 34 shirsey for sale. LOL!
I saw some games there in April of 2015, too, against the Braves. I've been to Marlins Stadium many times, but not since Jeter became GM and they implemented a lot of re-designs to the stadium and the Marlins unis.

All of the games I saw there were night games. I would've liked to see at least one day game there because the back wall of the stadium behind the outfield is made of glass and during the day, you could see downtown Miami through the glass, with its classic Miami look -- bright white skyscrapers against a beautiful blue sky. But I never experienced that view in the darkness of the night.

I thought it was a cool stadium, interesting is the better word, with its pop art flourishes all over, but I liked the stadium more in pictures than in person. In person, with the closed roof, the stadium had a very claustrophobic feel to it. Also, the stadium food, I thought, was nothing special and by today's higher standards for stadium food, especially Citi Field, kind of subpar.

Their attendance is weak, and for Mets game, there are, without a doubt, more Mets fans present than Marlins fans. More Mets gear, too.
stevejrogers

Post by stevejrogers » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:17 am

Heading back for the Sunday July 21st game.
stevejrogers

Post by stevejrogers » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:41 am

Sadly the craft brewery in the parking garage literally closed the days I was out there in 2022…doesn’t look like anything has taken over the space (next door to a Subway, so it was meant for retail setups), nor does it seem the brewery got back into the craft beer game (ie contract distribution only) in the ensuing time. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Beer hall is still rocking, they were in midst of moving their home base to the downtown district, I forget where they were moving from though but now they are close to the arena where the Heat play in. Not sure if I’ll get over there as mostly I’ll be hitting up Wynwood and South Beach as well as the game.
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:38 pm

Did you get carded?
I was carded at the Atlanta ballpark, and I was in my 60's.
Sounds like you're having fun.
Later
"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness". William Lonsdale Watkinson
I have never insulted anyone. I simply describe them, accurately.
"They fear love because it creates a world they can't control" - George Orwell
stevejrogers

Post by stevejrogers » Wed May 01, 2024 8:59 am

MFS62 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:38 pm Did you get carded?
I was carded at the Atlanta ballpark, and I was in my 60's.
Sounds like you're having fun.
Later
I’m carded at Citi just about all the time. It’s probably pretty much a rule to card every one at sporting arenas.

Funny story, I inadvertently narc’d a Citi vendor for selling a little too early on a Sunday because I told an alcohol control supervisor that the kid did ask for my ID before pouring the beer!