Get ready for the shitshow

Johnny Lunchbucket

Re: Get ready for the shitshow

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:50 pm

I don't think Buck would like "I wasn't prepared" as an excuse.
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:59 pm

On the other hand, it's not like the rest o' the team was steppin' up.
A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.
duan

Post by duan » Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:13 am

I think it's fair to have it as a 'it got to me' issue - but you then need to have that sorted for next time out. Fact of the matter is the pitchclock has made baseball WAY WAY snappier and a much better game.
nymr83

Post by nymr83 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:46 am

duan wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:13 am I think it's fair to have it as a 'it got to me' issue - but you then need to have that sorted for next time out. Fact of the matter is the pitchclock has made baseball WAY WAY snappier and a much better game.
Spring training was the time to sort it out, but I don't know that he CAN sort it out - he mentioned it was a fatigue thing, that he felt he didn't have time to recover during/after two long innings
- - -
“It feels bad when I strike out and I get booed” -Big Baby Baez
Fman99

Post by Fman99 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:03 am

I think when 2023 wraps up you'll see a bunch of guys like Carrasco did yesterday - who never figure out how to adapt to the pitch clock. I'm not saying Cookie can't right it, only that there will be some dudes who never do.

Once Verlander is back, the pressure mounts, assuming Megill and Peterson continue to look MLB ready and everyone else manages to not get hurt. This is Cookie's walk year and the Mets won't give him 31 more starts if he peters out in the middle innings repeatedly.
duan

Post by duan » Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:45 am

nymr83 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:46 am
Spring training was the time to sort it out, but I don't know that he CAN sort it out - he mentioned it was a fatigue thing, that he felt he didn't have time to recover during/after two long innings
sure - but you can't replicate every situation and sometimes you think you've processed what you'd do and then you get caught by it. I think we may well see an number of times where an inning cascades into a pile of poop this year both for and against us in the context of the pitch clock unsettling the pitcher, but it's well worth it.
duan

Post by duan » Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:55 am

Fman99 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:03 am I think when 2023 wraps up you'll see a bunch of guys like Carrasco did yesterday - who never figure out how to adapt to the pitch clock. I'm not saying Cookie can't right it, only that there will be some dudes who never do.
I can imagine this being the case.
ashie62

Post by ashie62 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:59 pm

So Carrasco is on a short leash
Diabetic Squirrel
Frayed Knot

Post by Frayed Knot » Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:40 pm

Not after one game, no.
Posting Covid-19 free since March of 2020
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:06 pm

Ashie likes to move on quickly.

It seems cardio is going to be a crucial training element going forward, for pitchers and hitters as well.
metirish

Post by metirish » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:22 pm

MLB eyes more rule changes, will experiment in Atlantic League
3:02 PM ET

Associated Press

PHOENIX -- Major League Baseball isn't done tinkering with potential rule changes for the sport.

The league announced a series of experimental rules Tuesday that will be used in the Atlantic League this season, including a designated pinch runner, "double-hook" designated hitter rule and further limitations on a pitcher's ability to make pick-off moves.

The designated pinch runner rule allows a player who is not in the starting lineup to be used at any point of the game as a substitute baserunner. The player who was subbed out, as well as the pinch runner, would still be able to return to the game.

The "double-hook" designated hitter rule allows teams to use the DH throughout the game as long as the starting pitcher throws at least five innings. If that doesn't occur, than the team loses it's DH and the pitcher's spot would bat for the remainder of the game. The rule was also used in the Atlantic League last season.

There's also a single disengagement rule, which means pitchers can only take their foot off the rubber once per at-bat to attempt a pick-off or reset the pitch clock.

The Atlantic League is an independent, minor league that has been a designated MLB Partner League since 2019, helping the sport test new rules. Some of the rules have stuck and eventually been used in the big leagues, while others haven't.

MLB has debuted a series of rules changes this season that were tested throughout the minors, including the Atlantic League. The new pitch clock has shaved about 30 minutes off game times through the season's first three weeks, while limits on the infield shift and bigger bases have helped boost offense.

"We thank the Atlantic League for their continued partnership," said Morgan Sword, MLB's Vice President of Baseball Operations, in a statement. "In recent years, the ALPB's experimental rules have aimed to emphasize athleticism, improved pace of play and other means of giving fans the game they want to see."
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:24 pm

Shit fuck and shitfuck.

This is fundamentally undermining the philosophical foundation of baseball.

The Atlantic League, allowing themselves to be used as lab rats, should be ashamed.
Benjamin Grimm

Post by Benjamin Grimm » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:26 pm

Based on past history, I have to assume that all of these changes will eventually make it to MLB.

I agree with Edgy. The rule that once you're out of the game you're out of the game is fundamental, and I see no reason to get rid of it.

And why the double-hook rule? I like that it (seemingly?) would result in fewer DH at bats, but I wonder what the motivation for it is.
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:32 pm

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
What "brokes" are these fixes trying to remedy?
Shitfuck is an understatement.

Later
"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness". William Lonsdale Watkinson
I have never insulted anyone. I simply describe them, accurately.
"They fear love because it creates a world they can't control" - George Orwell
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:45 pm

They keep telling me that they're doing this for "the fans," and I feel like I'm being gaslit.

Soccer has, like, six rules.
nymr83

Post by nymr83 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:12 pm

I'm pretty sure MLB is paying the Atlantic League for the right to use their games as a petri dish. Someone, or multiple people, are vested in ensuring MLB exercises that the guy, even when there isn't really a need to.
- - -
“It feels bad when I strike out and I get booed” -Big Baby Baez