Memories of Jacob deGrom

batmagadanleadoff

Re: Memories of Jacob deGrom

Post by batmagadanleadoff » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:37 pm

Well yeah, I wouldn't expect deGrom to admit he was done with NY before the game even started, assuming that was the case. And if the Mets weren't willing to match or top the Rangers' offer, then someone should say so. But nobody's even asking. They're simply letting deGrom politic his way around these issues with his insulting canned and extremely unconvincing answers. And so long as that's the case, I'm gonna assume he no longer wanted to play for the Mets.
kcmets

Post by kcmets » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:29 pm

I too think he couldn't wait to Get out of Dodge but whatever.

Every time this thread pops up I'll also be expecting to hear news that
he's been sidelined by some mysterious-but-not-serious ailment.
#lgm #ygb #ymdyf
A Boy Named Seo

Post by A Boy Named Seo » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:48 pm

I don't really care, I guess. He said in the NYT that Texas was at the top of his list for destinations. He got a HUGE offer from them (in a state with no income tax) so if he got what he wanted (and very likely beyond that), I wouldn't expect him to call the Mets or anyone else. See you at your NYM HOF induction in 10 years or so, bud.
great googly moogly!
batmagadanleadoff

Post by batmagadanleadoff » Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:00 pm

A Boy Named Seo wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:48 pm ... so if he got what he wanted (and very likely beyond that), I wouldn't expect him to call the Mets or anyone else.
That's right. Because he didn't wanna play for the Mets any more. If he was seriously considering staying here, he would've gotten back to the Mets after the Rangers made their offer. Unless the Mets had made it crystal clear that they weren't gonna make deGrom an offer better than Texas's. He didn't get back to the Mets because he didn't wanna play here any more and he was worried that the Mets would eventually top Texas's offer if he did get back to the Mets, forcing him to fess up about not really wanting to play here.
metsmarathon

Post by metsmarathon » Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:21 pm

its certainly possible for someone to want to play for the mets, and also want to see if better offers are out there.

it's not like he went to texas for a couple bucks more. he got a ludicrously bigger offer than even the feveriest of fever dreams would suggest possible. why even risk the chance of it slipping through your fingers? who knows - maybe texas even said to him if he walks out that door to see if the mets would match it, the offer would be gone.

if he went to texas for similar money, or certainly for less money, then sure, we might be validated in feeling spurned, but fer chrissakes, that is not what happened here. he doesn't owe us anything, least of which is an explantion, when the answer is so seemingly obvious.
batmagadanleadoff

Post by batmagadanleadoff » Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:44 pm

metsmarathon wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:21 pm who knows - maybe texas even said to him if he walks out that door to see if the mets would match it, the offer would be gone.
Then deGrom should say that, if that's what happened. I'd guess that the likelihood that that's what happened is about zero.
metsmarathon wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:21 pm he doesn't owe us anything, least of which is an explantion, when the answer is so seemingly obvious.
So what is, according to you, the obvious answer? Because according to deGrom, he ditched his entire NY legacy which took him his entire major league career to build, for Chris Young's winning vision.
Last edited by batmagadanleadoff on Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
metsmarathon

Post by metsmarathon » Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:46 pm

batmagadanleadoff wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:44 pm
metsmarathon wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:21 pm who knows - maybe texas even said to him if he walks out that door to see if the mets would match it, the offer would be gone.
Then deGrom should say that, if that's what happened. I'd guess that the likelihood that that's what happened is about zero.
yes. because he doesn't owe us anything, least of which is an explanation.
batmagadanleadoff

Post by batmagadanleadoff » Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:50 pm

metsmarathon wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:46 pm
batmagadanleadoff wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:44 pm
yes. because he doesn't owe us anything, least of which is an explanation.
True, he might not owe anybody an explanation, but that's got nothing to do with why that scenario of yours likely never happened. And we have the right to call him on his Chris Young winning vision horseshit, if he is gonna give an explanation
A Boy Named Seo

Post by A Boy Named Seo » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:30 pm

Jacob deGrom has been named the Rangers Opening Day starter. I wasn't 1000% sure he'd be ready to go. He's thrown just 3 innings so far this spring.

Here is deGrom when asked to "explain your damn self already". He offered no comment.

great googly moogly!
bmfc1

Post by bmfc1 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:17 pm

Texas is playing the Phillies so we're rooting for deGrom, at least on Thursday.
kcmets

Post by kcmets » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:27 pm

I am smiling, dammit!
#lgm #ygb #ymdyf
metirish

Post by metirish » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:03 pm

He looks like a wankers cramp
Fman99

Post by Fman99 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:43 pm

metirish wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:03 pm He looks like a wankers cramp
Lol that's some fine Irish speak there.

His inner monologue:

"Think of all that money. (Thinks of playing for five years on a 71 win team). Dammit."
metirish

Post by metirish » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:48 pm

metirish

Post by metirish » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:49 pm

kcmets

Post by kcmets » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:53 pm

Just a matter of time...
#lgm #ygb #ymdyf
whippoorwill

Post by whippoorwill » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:04 pm

His Met legacy
nymr83

Post by nymr83 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:30 pm

metirish wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:49 pm

apparently she is the Royals beat writer. I'm guessing the Rangers beat writer was either crying or too busy replying to the laughter emojis from his Mets counterpart to post this sooner.
- - -
“It feels bad when I strike out and I get booed” -Big Baby Baez
Methead

Post by Methead » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:32 pm

metirish wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:03 pm He looks like a wankers cramp
Hey, speaking of wrist soreness...
The Hot Corner

Post by The Hot Corner » Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:25 pm

kcmets wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:53 pm Just a matter of time...
Yup. DeGrom is just a ticking time bomb. It's not a matter of if he will miss numerous starts, but a matter of when and why. Great talent, but he's become pretty fragile and unreliable.
When did the choices get so hard
With so much more at stake
Life gets mighty precious
When there's less of it to waste
batmagadanleadoff

Post by batmagadanleadoff » Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:30 pm

Jacob deGrom exits no-hitter with injury, Mets fans say ‘told you so’

Excerpt:
Rangers pitcher Jacob deGrom was throwing a no-hitter when he had to exit with wrist soreness. Mets fans are just glad it’s not their problem anymore.

Whether the Mets let Jacob deGrom walk in free agency or handed him a giant bag of cash to stay in New York, it was always going to be a risk. Balancing a generational talent with a bad injury habit isn’t easy. They let him walk.

Was it the right choice? Right about now, Mets fans have to feel fairly vindicated because the Rangers are going through the purest version of “The Jacob deGrom” experience.
https://fansided.com/2023/04/17/jacob-d ... er-injury/

So is that what happened? That the Mets let deGrom walk? That the Mets had a chance to match or top the Rangers offer after it was made, but chose not to? Was that established? Because I don't remember reading that and am still curious about that. As every other Mets fan should be.
stevejrogers

Post by stevejrogers » Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:32 am

batmagadanleadoff wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:30 pm Jacob deGrom exits no-hitter with injury, Mets fans say ‘told you so’

Excerpt:
Rangers pitcher Jacob deGrom was throwing a no-hitter when he had to exit with wrist soreness. Mets fans are just glad it’s not their problem anymore.

Whether the Mets let Jacob deGrom walk in free agency or handed him a giant bag of cash to stay in New York, it was always going to be a risk. Balancing a generational talent with a bad injury habit isn’t easy. They let him walk.

Was it the right choice? Right about now, Mets fans have to feel fairly vindicated because the Rangers are going through the purest version of “The Jacob deGrom” experience.
https://fansided.com/2023/04/17/jacob-d ... er-injury/

So is that what happened? That the Mets let deGrom walk? That the Mets had a chance to match or top the Rangers offer after it was made, but chose not to? Was that established? Because I don't remember reading that and am still curious about that. As every other Mets fan should be.
I don’t think the author is aware of the publicly known timeline of events, etc.

Think of it like Adam Sandler’s lyric about the Mets trading Darryl Strawberry. It fits the article’s narrative better if it comes from a place where the Mets were able to present him an offer to refuse.
Frayed Knot

Post by Frayed Knot » Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:33 am

Excerpt:

I'll take the first part of that excerpt: "Mets fans are just glad it's not their problem anymore"
How many reported NYM fans did this guy poll? All of them? (if so I don't remember getting a call). A million? A thousand? Six? Himself plus the guy on the next barstool and his cat?

And yet he seems to indicate that not only is there a universal consensus on this issue but that he knows what it is.
Statements like this are up there with declaring what "Twitter thinks ..." about some issue or who "the internet is supporting ..." over the latest Taylor Swift breakup.
Posting Covid-19 free since March of 2020
whippoorwill

Post by whippoorwill » Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:23 am

Not to mention that he pitched years before the injuries started.
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:12 am

There are worse problems than having a terrific pitcher not currently available — be it for the next inning or the next 6–8 weeks — because of injuries that everybody is being over-cautious with.

As for being "just glad it’s not their problem anymore," it still is our problem, except now it's problem named "Verlander."

It's simply the nature of things. Right now there are 30 teams whose top pitchers have different levels of talent, but all 30 are currently deeply concerned about the health of their top pitchers. If there's anything worse than fans being babies about that reality, it's media dudes validating that by selling fans the idea that they're uniquely cursed.
Last edited by Edgy MD on Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.