Stickygate, 2024

MFS62

Re: Stickygate, 2024

Post by MFS62 » Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:13 am

metirish wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:45 am I'm not sure how it would work, but ,if we can do rapid testing for covid etc, surely a reliable testing kit can be manufactured? Anyway ,the Union and MLB need to figure this out , this seems unreliable
Test for what?
How do you measure "sticky"?
Either it is or it isn't (to the touch).
You don't have to know the chemical composition of the substance.
It is sticky.
The fact that is a dark substance and easily seen is another matter. There must be clear stick substances that wouldn't have raised suspicion. (looking for better ways to cheat)

Later
"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness". William Lonsdale Watkinson
I have never insulted anyone. I simply describe them, accurately.
"I love this shit" - Jesse Winker
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:18 am

That's incorrect.

A hand being (or actually seeming) sticky isn't illegal. A hand having foreign, explicitly disallowed, substances applied to it is.

The hand seeming to be sticky is (ambiguous) evidence, but it is not the violation itself, and thus the umpires are forced to make an unfortunate judgment call.
A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.
metirish

Post by metirish » Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:20 am

Test for substances like Spider tack , pine tar , that they are not allowed to use , rosin they are ,come on now
Benjamin Grimm

Post by Benjamin Grimm » Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:57 am

You don't have to be concerned about tests becoming outdated if the rule is that certain things are okay and everything else isn't. Itemize the good, not the bad. If it's anything that's not on the good list, it's a suspension.
nymr83

Post by nymr83 » Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:42 pm

Benjamin Grimm wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:57 am You don't have to be concerned about tests becoming outdated if the rule is that certain things are okay and everything else isn't. Itemize the good, not the bad. If it's anything that's not on the good list, it's a suspension.
I suspect the "allowed" list might be hard to define too - sweat, rosin, dirt, specs of peanut butter and chocolate from that between innings snickers, small amounts of hair gel from innocently running your hands through your hair.

Maybe the umpire should be equipped with an item of appropriate weight (an index card? a quarter?) and press it to the guy's hand, turn the hand over, and see if gravity or the sticky shit wins... if the latter, you are out of the game - and you can test yourself in the dugout so anyone who fails really deserves it.
kcmets

Post by kcmets » Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:42 pm

I demand a full investigation of Vic Carapazza, his family and all
their immediate neighbors. Probably YLD's, the whole lot of 'em.
#lgm #ygb #ymdyf
bmfc1

Post by bmfc1 » Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:56 pm

The picture above is meaningless without comparisons to acceptable sticky hands or even his hand the last time he pitched.

The fact that it is subjective is what is most troubling here. Everything else in baseball is defined: fair or foul, safe or out, ball or strike, but this decision is in the umpire's opinion. Here, Carapazza said he’s done this a lot and knows what too much is. OK, but what’s the criteria? How does he know? It shouldn’t depend on the umpire--it should be a defined standard. The Mets will appeal but Manfred won’t have the spine to contradict the umpires so the Mets have to play short for 10 games due to an umpire’s opinion based on undefined criteria.
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:43 pm

bmfc1 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:56 pm The picture above is meaningless without comparisons to acceptable sticky hands or even his hand the last time he pitched.
Yeah, context, context, context.

What looks like a collection of goop could be just a discolored callus, and vice-versa.

Balls and strikes, too, are the umpire's opinion in the end, but your point stands.

Would an appeal go to Manfred's office or to an independent arbitrator?
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:46 pm

Edgy MD wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:18 am That's incorrect.

A hand being (or actually seeming) sticky isn't illegal. A hand having foreign, explicitly disallowed, substances applied to it is.

The hand seeming to be sticky is (ambiguous) evidence, but it is not the violation itself, and thus the umpires are forced to make an unfortunate judgment call.
How can a hand be (naturally) sticky without the application of a foreign substance?

Later
"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness". William Lonsdale Watkinson
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:49 pm

nymr83 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:42 pm Maybe the umpire should be equipped with an item of appropriate weight (an index card? a quarter?) and press it to the guy's hand, turn the hand over, and see if gravity or the sticky shit wins... if the latter, you are out of the game - and you can test yourself in the dugout so anyone who fails really deserves it.
Totally agree.
The inverted/ drop test is the best way to determine if the hand is sticky enough to effect the flight/ spin of the ball. And that's what his is all about, anyhow.

LAter
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:51 pm

MFS62 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:46 pm

How can a hand be (naturally) sticky without the application of a foreign substance?

Later
One could have innocently made recent contact with a chocolate bar, a candy wrapper, hair gel, sexual fluids, sunscreen, eyeblack, a sugary drink, bubble gum, or all of the above.

None of these things are explicitly disallowed or necessarily indicate malicious intent.

Even more innocently, one's metabolism could theoretically turn his or her naturally occurring hand oil and/or sweat to be stickier than the mean, especially when combined with resin and/or dirt. it's just guesswork that the umps are forced to exercise.
bmfc1

Post by bmfc1 » Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:52 pm

Balls and strikes, too, are the umpire's opinion in the end, but your point stands.
Thanks... I was thinking of checked swings and the future "challenge system".
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Mon Jun 24, 2024 2:11 pm

Edgy MD wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:51 pm Even more innocently, one's metabolism could theoretically turn his or her naturally occurring hand oil and/or sweat to be stickier than the mean, especially when combined with resin and/or dirt. it's just guesswork that the umps are forced to exercise.
If the pitcher has a natural condition that turns his sweat sticky, he is one lucky pitcher.
I can just picture it now - agents spending millions in medical research to determine how that happened and if their client pitchers can be similarly infected.
LOL!
Later
metirish

Post by metirish » Mon Jun 24, 2024 2:17 pm

Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Mon Jun 24, 2024 2:19 pm

MFS62 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 2:11 pm
Edgy MD wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:51 pm Even more innocently, one's metabolism could theoretically turn his or her naturally occurring hand oil and/or sweat to be stickier than the mean, especially when combined with resin and/or dirt. it's just guesswork that the umps are forced to exercise.
If the pitcher has a natural condition that turns his sweat sticky, he is one lucky pitcher.
I can just picture it now - agents spending millions in medical research to determine how that happened and if their client pitchers can be similarly infected.
LOL!
Later
I didn't think it was laugh-out-loud funny. I only meant to indicate that, if what is sticky vs. what isn't sticky, and what is illegally sticky vs. allowably sticky, is a judgment call, it's problematic, and these aren't easy and obvious calls to make at all.
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Mon Jun 24, 2024 2:33 pm

Agree.
Later
nymr83

Post by nymr83 » Mon Jun 24, 2024 2:51 pm

Edgy MD wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:51 pm
MFS62 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:46 pm

Later
One could have innocently made recent contact with a chocolate bar, a candy wrapper, hair gel, sexual fluids, sunscreen, eyeblack, a sugary drink, bubble gum, or all of the above.

None of these things are explicitly disallowed or necessarily indicate malicious intent.

Even more innocently, one's metabolism could theoretically turn his or her naturally occurring hand oil and/or sweat to be stickier than the mean, especially when combined with resin and/or dirt. it's just guesswork that the umps are forced to exercise.
Can't believe I missed the opportunity to list cum as a hypothetical acceptable substance. Do better, Nymr.
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Mon Jun 24, 2024 2:58 pm

Ben Grimm's Pop-Tart addiction would have him banned for life.
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:07 pm

tacky or sticky
More detail on how the umps have been trained and the guidelines they use:
https://sny.tv/articles/further-reporti ... ic-fallout

Later
kcmets

Post by kcmets » Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:14 pm

There is basically nothing new in that story. Nothing.
#lgm #ygb #ymdyf
bmfc1

Post by bmfc1 » Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:15 pm

kcmets wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:14 pm There is basically nothing new in that story. Nothing.
It was as if Martino wrote it just to fulfill a quota.
bmfc1

Post by bmfc1 » Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:20 pm

It’s possible (and perhaps paranoid) that Tomas Nido “dropped a dime” on Diaz. I’ve wondered if the Dodgers did the same with Scherzer.
SteveCohenStan

Post by SteveCohenStan » Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:34 pm

What do we think Vic Carapazza's wager was? Probably something involving Diaz not getting a save would seem the most likely, but maybe it was some long parlay.
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:17 pm

bmfc1 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:20 pm It’s possible (and perhaps paranoid) that Tomas Nido “dropped a dime” on Diaz. I’ve wondered if the Dodgers did the same with Scherzer.
It's speculative, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it paranoid. I kinda crossed my mind as well.

As David Wright said about Cliff Floyd, Tomás is a Cub now.
Frayed Knot

Post by Frayed Knot » Mon Jun 24, 2024 6:01 pm

As mentioned by the TV crew last night, the umps check incoming closers before the inning starts because the game is generally on the line.
Bottom line is they didn't, and are not going to, check him based on the insistence of the opposing backup catcher or his team.
Posting Covid-19 free since March of 2020