Mendy for NL Manager of the Year?

Marshmallowmilkshake

Mendy for NL Manager of the Year?

Post by Marshmallowmilkshake » Fri Sep 06, 2024 8:39 pm

The guys on the “Meet at the Apple” podcast raised this: If the Mets make the playoffs, is Mendoza the winner of NL Manager of the year? My first reaction was that it was a stretch. But they made an interesting case.

The reasoning is that he brought the team back from the abyss and it is surpassing expectations.

But then I was thinking, if not Mendy, then who?

Any one of us can manage the Dodgers and they’d still be in first.

Pat Murphy’s Brewers might be a surprise but that division is weak. Torey Lovello? Rob Thomson’s Phillies aren’t a surprise.

What do you think?
Last edited by Marshmallowmilkshake on Fri Sep 06, 2024 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gwreck

Re: Mendy for NL Manager of the Year?

Post by Gwreck » Fri Sep 06, 2024 8:42 pm

Shildt will also likely be in the running. Mets need to make it in order for Mendoza to win.
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Sat Sep 07, 2024 12:00 am

I have no idea. Managers always seem to be held to a pretty arbitrary standard.

It's nice to have it on the table, considering his 0-5 start made me wonder if he was even going to get a year.
A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.
rchurch314

Post by rchurch314 » Sat Sep 07, 2024 7:02 am

he's not. I didn't listen to the pod cast, have not found those guys insightful or interesting.

Who knows though. Does he give a good quote? This vote is mostly a popularity contest among the media.
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Sat Sep 07, 2024 8:53 am

Yeah I think Mendy would win if they held the vote today. The writers like a fresh face whose team defies expectations and that's what Mendy is. NYC doesn't mean what it used to but having Mets and Yankees followers familiar with him doesn't hurt. Finally I think he is an effective manager. There's no sign of internal turmoil, he's been accommodating to the media and other than seemingly losing too many video replays he's got the Xs and zos mostly right.
metirish

Post by metirish » Sat Sep 07, 2024 11:09 am

Yeah man , I like him and if it means anything ( probably does) he seems well liked within the game