Beltran Watch

batmagadanleadoff

Re: Beltran Watch

Post by batmagadanleadoff » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:40 pm

If Steve Cohen coming on board was a sure thing, the Mets might be able to attract some really good top tier managerial candidates --- for a change.
LWFS

Post by LWFS » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:42 pm

dgwphotography wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:32 am
G-Fafif wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:15 pm Building a rationale...

https://twitter.com/nypost_mets/status/ ... 88961?s=21
Integrity is a buzzword with the Mets. Just not something the Wilpons actively practice.
INTEGRITY (In 'teh gri tee)

Dithering just long enough over a difficult decision that it's taken out of your hands, or gives you semi-plausible cover; leaking gossip anonymously when you defame, so as to not be directly responsible in any attributable way

"I know some of you have been counseling rash, decisive action, but hey, let's show some integrity here, and he just might resign our way out of this."

-Excepted from Wilpon's Dictionary, Fifth Ed.
41Forever

Post by 41Forever » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:45 pm

Centerfield wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:31 pm
41Forever wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:26 pm
Centerfield wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:17 pm Stepping down. So Jeff didn't even have the balls to fire him.

Fuck these guys.
You don't think he was fired? I think he "stepped down" the way Cora "stepped down."
Oh, I think he was fired. What I meant was that Jeff didn't have the guts to come out and say "we fired him".
Team just issued a statement saying they met with Carols last night and this morning and "agreed mutually to part ways." Same thing as the Red Sox said.
Centerfield

Post by Centerfield » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:48 pm

41Forever wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:45 pm
Centerfield wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:31 pm
41Forever wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:26 pm
Centerfield wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:17 pm Stepping down. So Jeff didn't even have the balls to fire him.

Fuck these guys.
You don't think he was fired? I think he "stepped down" the way Cora "stepped down."
Oh, I think he was fired. What I meant was that Jeff didn't have the guts to come out and say "we fired him".
Team just issued a statement saying they met with Carols last night and this morning and "agreed mutually to part ways." Same thing as the Red Sox said.
I take back my earlier criticism. It's clear that they fired him but offered him the chance to resign to save the embarrassment of being fired.

I know revert to criticizing the decision only and not the manner in which the decision was delivered to the public.
bmfc1

Post by bmfc1 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:59 pm

Good. I was looking forward to watching him manage but they didn't need the distraction during ST and then during the season. Was he going to have credibility with the players? The focus is supposed to be on the team, not your tainted manager who doesn't have a track record to support the aggravation. "Hey Pete! did Beltran get you the sign?" How was he supposed to lead with what he did in Houston on everyone's mind? They didn't need it, not after he was the only player mentioned in the Report. This was the right move and it should have been done two days ago.

The fallout from the report sucks for us and for the Mets. HOU and BOS fans can still be happy with their Championships. We got nothing.
Last edited by bmfc1 on Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
41Forever

Post by 41Forever » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:00 pm

Good statement from Beltran.
"Over my 20 years in the game, I've always taken pride in being a leader and doing things the right way, and in this situation, I failed," Beltran said in a statement given to ESPN. "As a veteran player on the team, I should've recognized the severity of the issue and truly regret the actions that were taken.

"I am a man of faith and integrity and what took place did not demonstrate those characteristics that are so very important to me and my family. I'm very sorry. It's not who I am as a father, a husband, a teammate and as an educator. The Mets organization and I mutually agreed to part ways, moving forward for the greater good with no further distractions. I hope that at some point in time, I'll have the opportunity to return to this game that I love so much."
bmfc1

Post by bmfc1 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:09 pm

What if Beltran made that statement in person, other than the last line, the day after the report was issued? Would we be at this point today?
LWFS

Post by LWFS » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:17 pm

I wonder if he wanted to. I wonder if he was counseled not to, by a colleague or work superior.
nymr83

Post by nymr83 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:22 pm

batmagadanleadoff wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:24 pm Beltran should've PIVOTED. He needs to take some PR lessons. Then get up before the podium and just change the subject. He should've had a press conference about the Pelopynesian Wars or something. Talk about how we're all working together and how it's a shame all this negative talk about negative stuff. I bet anything that by the end of that presser, everybody and the whole wide world would've forgotten that there even was an Astros sign-stealing scandal.
I rarely agree with you but... he should have hired Sarah Sanders!
- - -
“It feels bad when I strike out and I get booed” -Big Baby Baez
41Forever

Post by 41Forever » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:23 pm

bmfc1 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:09 pm What if Beltran made that statement in person, other than the last line, the day after the report was issued? Would we be at this point today?
That's a tough call, because we don't know what was going on behind the scenes. But I do think the sooner you get out with something like that, the better off you are.
nymr83

Post by nymr83 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:23 pm

Integrity is a buzzword with the Mets. Just not something the Wilpons actively practice.
Jeff: "we need integrity around here, and its not going to come from me so ..."
- - -
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:26 pm

Conscious uncoupling.
A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.
dgwphotography

Post by dgwphotography » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:18 pm

LWFS wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:42 pm

INTEGRITY (In 'teh gri tee)

Dithering just long enough over a difficult decision that it's taken out of your hands, or gives you semi-plausible cover; leaking gossip anonymously when you defame, so as to not be directly responsible in any attributable way

"I know some of you have been counseling rash, decisive action, but hey, let's show some integrity here, and he just might resign our way out of this."

-Excepted from Wilpon's Dictionary, Fifth Ed.
BOC
Inigo Montoya wrote:"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”
A bad day behind the lens is still better than a good day behind a desk
ashie62

Post by ashie62 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:31 pm

Amazin all around
Diabetic Squirrel
Ceetar

Post by Ceetar » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:37 pm

fuck the media 100 ways to sunday, seriously. Can we get some real reporters to cover baseball that aren't out to get a guy fired for not being truthful to them about a situation that was currently under investigation by MLB?

I didn't think I could lose any more respect for Joel Sherman. he sure showed me. asshole.
Please listen to my podcast? You Did What Now?

Please listen to our podcast? Mets On Tap

www.ceetar.com/optimisticmetsfan

Barley Prose
batmagadanleadoff

Post by batmagadanleadoff » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:17 pm

Ceetar wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:37 pm fuck the media 100 ways to sunday, seriously. Can we get some real reporters to cover baseball that aren't out to get a guy fired for not being truthful to them about a situation that was currently under investigation by MLB?

I didn't think I could lose any more respect for Joel Sherman. he sure showed me. asshole.
But now there's an opportunity for a new manager to be hired. And he'll be a METS manager. So how 'bout that!? And then you can defend the new METS manager all nuts and all no matter what he does Because he'll be a METS manager. Managing other METS. And God help anybody who criticizes any MET. Wish 'em into the cornfield, all those haters.

So think of the next METS manager who wouldn't otherwise get the chance to be a METS manager without this sudden opening.
Ceetar

Post by Ceetar » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:35 pm

batmagadanleadoff wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:17 pm
Ceetar wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:37 pm fuck the media 100 ways to sunday, seriously. Can we get some real reporters to cover baseball that aren't out to get a guy fired for not being truthful to them about a situation that was currently under investigation by MLB?

But now there's an opportunity for a new manager to be hired. And he'll be a METS manager. So how 'bout that!? And then you can defend the new METS manager all nuts and all no matter what he does Because he'll be a METS manager. Managing other METS. And God help anybody who criticizes any MET. Wish 'em into the cornfield, all those haters.

So think of the next METS manager who wouldn't otherwise get the chance to be a METS manager without this sudden opening.
fuck off. I will defend him to idiots like you and Joel Sherman who criticism him for stupid reasons because Jeff blinked twice or something. Either way it'll be the second choice and that's not good process.

Barley Prose
batmagadanleadoff

Post by batmagadanleadoff » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:06 pm

Ceetar wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:35 pm
batmagadanleadoff wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:17 pm

fuck off. I will defend him to idiots like you and Joel Sherman who criticism him for stupid reasons because Jeff blinked twice or something. Either way it'll be the second choice and that's not good process.
I didn't read the Joel Sherman article, but even so, I'll guarantee that Joel Sherman didn't get anybody fired. There are some reports that Beltran was one of the masterminds of the cheating scheme. If that's true, Beltran should get a lifetime ban from baseball. Lifetime. Cheating on, I dunno, dozens of games. And an entire post-season run. And to you, that's nothing. And I'm the idiot? You've lost your mind. This whole ban is a fucking joke if you ask me, anyways. Fining a multi-billionaire $5 million. That's like Burger King lunch money to those guys. What's next? They're gonna take away his eleventh car? OK, granted, that's the biggest fine MLB can impose. But that's still a joke. That's a rule passed by the same multibillionaires who run the game. Draft picks? That's two years worth of picks that usually don't pan out and the current Astros are one of MLB's best franchises. I predict they'll be mostly untouched competitively by this penalty.
nymr83

Post by nymr83 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:11 pm

Manfred did the most he could under the rules to punish the Astros as a team imo. not his fault the fines are limited, those are still his bosses at the end of the day and while many of them will grumble that Crane wasn't punished enough they wont vote to increase the max penalty because one day THEIR coaches and players will cheat.
- - -
Ceetar

Post by Ceetar » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:21 pm

batmagadanleadoff wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:06 pm

I didn't read the Joel Sherman article, but even so, I'll guarantee that Joel Sherman didn't get anybody fired. There are some reports that Beltran was one of the masterminds of the cheating scheme. If that's true, Beltran should get a lifetime ban from baseball. Lifetime. Cheating on, I dunno, dozens of games. And an entire post-season run. And to you, that's nothing.
I don't know if he wrote an article, probably, clickbait and all that. If him and his ilk didn't get on their high horse about Beltran not mentioning the investigation when he was hired and a constant barrage for the past few days about how he has to answer for this thing that the investigation decided not to charge him for. But not, they whined and complained and wondered what Beltran knew and why wouldn't he speak about it and OMG HE SAID HE KNEW NOTHING.

so yeah, Joel and the other assholes did in fact get him fired. Jeff all but admitted when he said "when they saw the extent to which he was mentioned in the report" which, as we know, was once. the same amount as the New York Yankees.

Also 'cheating'. For one, EVERYONE is doing it. for another, knowing the signs is not a crime. Yes, it's breaking a rule to do it electronically, for some reason, and even though everyone knew they were doing it no one bothered to obscure their signs? So fuck if I care, they tried to gain an edge by acquiring knowledge that's not against the rules to know. I literally do not care about that, nor do I care about steroids for that matter. As far as I can see, the playing field was still level and the games were still fair. So fuck all to the rest of it.

But most of all to Sherman who tweeted he absolutely didn't suggest someone should get fired while constantly tweeting about whether or not he should be fired.

Barley Prose
Mex17

Post by Mex17 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:43 pm

Even for an organization that has come to be known for inexplicable, mind numbing, incompetency, this one takes the cake.

They could have hired literally anyone else, all of whom had actual managerial experience on some level or another. Instead, they went with the entitled superstar with no managing or official coaching experience anywhere because he just felt like trying it out (but only on the Major League level and only in the city that he likes to spend time in because, hey, he's Carlos Beltran). And now look how it blew up in their faces. They get caught up in one of the Top Three scandals ever to engulf the game of baseball (Black Sox and steroids being the other two), and they did not even participate or benefit from it.
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:52 pm

Nobody has experience until they do. And experienced guys have plenty of skeletons in their closets, too.

As for "the Top Three scandals ever to engulf the game of baseball," I'll happily disagree with that.
They could have hired literally anyone else, all of whom had actual managerial experience on some level or another.
Please review this sentence.
A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.
LWFS

Post by LWFS » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:00 pm

I mean, they could have hired me. I don't have any managerial experience.

[Smirks nerdily]
[Pushes glasses up bridge of nose]
Ceetar

Post by Ceetar » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:08 pm

Beltran was a good choice and still is. This probably isn't even top three sign stealing scandals

Barley Prose
dgwphotography

Post by dgwphotography » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:31 pm

LWFS wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:00 pm I mean, they could have hired me. I don't have any managerial experience.

[Smirks nerdily]
[Pushes glasses up bridge of nose]
No experience, but that clubhouse spread would have been top-notch...
A bad day behind the lens is still better than a good day behind a desk