Beltran Watch

nymr83

Re: Beltran Watch

Post by nymr83 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:03 pm

Ceetar wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:08 pm Beltran was a good choice and still is. This probably isn't even top three sign stealing scandals
Why was he a good choice?
- - -
“It feels bad when I strike out and I get booed” -Big Baby Baez
LWFS

Post by LWFS » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:19 pm

Ceetar wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:08 pm Beltran was a good choice and still is. This probably isn't even top three sign stealing scandals
I mean, three managers and a GM have lost jobs, two of the last three WS champions have been implicated, and we may not be done yet.
Ceetar

Post by Ceetar » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:57 pm

nymr83 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:03 pm
Why was he a good choice?
He's always been a leader, a good teacher, he's a smart baseball guy that understands how the game works, appreciates sabermetrics, is well respected, bilingual...
Please listen to my podcast? You Did What Now?

Please listen to our podcast? Mets On Tap

www.ceetar.com/optimisticmetsfan

Barley Prose
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:57 am

Johnny Lunchbucket wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:49 am Jessica Mondoza checks in with an idiotic take on how wrong it was for Mike Fiers to spill the beans. Whack her while we're at it.
Mendozy's got a hell of a conflict of interest here, doesn't she? She's serving both as a decision-maker within baseball and a commentator on MLB decisions.
A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.
seawolf17

Post by seawolf17 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:52 am

Not for nothing, but remember how we acquired Jake Marisnick despite the fact that he can't hit major league pitching? He and Beltran *were* teammates on that Astros team.

I don't know what that means, but I wonder how involved Marisnick was and whether that made him such an offseason priority.
Ceetar

Post by Ceetar » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:58 am

seawolf17 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:52 am Not for nothing, but remember how we acquired Jake Marisnick despite the fact that he can't hit major league pitching? He and Beltran *were* teammates on that Astros team.

I don't know what that means, but I wonder how involved Marisnick was and whether that made him such an offseason priority.
That'd be a very Mets way to go about sign stealing "Hey, lot's not develop our own system for this very simple thing, let's just grab some retread(s)? Were Carlos and J.D. like, this "computer" stuff. so weird man.

Actually that's maybe not true. These guys were actually decoding the signs, not just reading them. Maybe Marisnick was good with pattern recognition or whatever so why not have a 25th guy on teh roster that's gonna be able to hop back tothe video room plenty and is good at decoding the pitcher's apparently garbage deceptions.

Barley Prose
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:16 am

Edgy MD wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:57 am
Johnny Lunchbucket wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:49 am Jessica Mondoza checks in with an idiotic take on how wrong it was for Mike Fiers to spill the beans. Whack her while we're at it.
Mendozy's got a hell of a conflict of interest here, doesn't she? She's serving both as a decision-maker within baseball and a commentator on MLB decisions.
and acts as though she's bound by neither. She's shitting on the game and on the media but is employed by both
Benjamin Grimm

Post by Benjamin Grimm » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:39 am

seawolf17

Post by seawolf17 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:41 am

Ceetar wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:58 am
seawolf17 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:52 am Not for nothing, but remember how we acquired Jake Marisnick despite the fact that he can't hit major league pitching? He and Beltran *were* teammates on that Astros team.

That'd be a very Mets way to go about sign stealing "Hey, lot's not develop our own system for this very simple thing, let's just grab some retread(s)? Were Carlos and J.D. like, this "computer" stuff. so weird man.

Actually that's maybe not true. These guys were actually decoding the signs, not just reading them. Maybe Marisnick was good with pattern recognition or whatever so why not have a 25th guy on teh roster that's gonna be able to hop back tothe video room plenty and is good at decoding the pitcher's apparently garbage deceptions.
Right? That's kinda what I'm saying. I fully admit that it's a stretch, and if I was a journalist I wouldn't publish it, but it seems like there are dots there that may or may not connect.
dgwphotography

Post by dgwphotography » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:00 am

A bad day behind the lens is still better than a good day behind a desk
Centerfield

Post by Centerfield » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:30 am

Applause.
LWFS

Post by LWFS » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:39 pm

A damn delight.
Willets Point

Post by Willets Point » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:10 pm

I lost it at Syndergaard.
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:24 pm

clever and charming
nymr83

Post by nymr83 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:34 pm

Video today of the Astros shelling Stroman, garbage can banging clearly audible. Stroman pissed. This is why Beltran could not stay, how would you like the guy who cheated you to be your new boss?
- - -
Ceetar

Post by Ceetar » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:37 pm

nymr83 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:34 pm Video today of the Astros shelling Stroman, garbage can banging clearly audible. Stroman pissed. This is why Beltran could not stay, how would you like the guy who cheated you to be your new boss?
my offense taking every advantage they can? where can I sign up?

Barley Prose
LWFS

Post by LWFS » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:31 pm

Whether you agree or not about its seriousness, the Astros' actions-- players included-- seem to have crossed a pretty serious line in the sand for a lot of MLBers, judging from the vast majority of the dozens who've responded publicly (and that's just the Twitter-active ones). It's not hard to imagine that being a source of friction between an active participant in the cheating (regardless of how active you believe that to be, or how much it matters) and a player he's trying to motivate and direct, especially if said active participant is a little light in the experience-cum-authority department anyway.
Ceetar

Post by Ceetar » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:09 pm

yeah and the vast majority of MLB players are idiots too. Didn't a lot of pitchers get all whiny about steroids too even though they were just as roided up, if not more? Hell, plenty of pitchers get all up in arms about the shift too, even though they're dead wrong about it hurting them.

Plenty of players have come out and been all like "hey, like, those other guys do this too"

Barley Prose
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:27 pm

Ceetar wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:09 pmPlenty of players have come out and been all like "hey, like, those other guys do this too"
As far as I know, none since Billy Bean in 1999.
A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.
nymr83

Post by nymr83 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:31 pm

Ceetar wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:37 pm
nymr83 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:34 pm Video today of the Astros shelling Stroman, garbage can banging clearly audible. Stroman pissed. This is why Beltran could not stay, how would you like the guy who cheated you to be your new boss?
my offense taking every advantage they can? where can I sign up?
and the legality is irrelevant? Where can I send your Trump2020 bumper sticker?
- - -
Ceetar

Post by Ceetar » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:45 am

nymr83 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:31 pm and the legality is irrelevant? Where can I send your Trump2020 bumper sticker?

Beltran was not punished by the league. The league sent down their punishment.

Barley Prose
LWFS

Post by LWFS » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:35 am

Ceetar wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:09 pm yeah and the vast majority of MLB players are idiots too. Didn't a lot of pitchers get all whiny about steroids too even though they were just as roided up, if not more? Hell, plenty of pitchers get all up in arms about the shift too, even though they're dead wrong about it hurting them.
Whether or not they're right-- much like whether or not you're just being reactionary here-- is irrelevant, and isn't what I was arguing. What was under discussion was whether Beltran staying would have been an issue with his players. It's very, very likely that it would have been a problem with a significant enough number of them to get in the way.
Ceetar

Post by Ceetar » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:55 am

LWFS wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:35 am
Ceetar wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:09 pm yeah and the vast majority of MLB players are idiots too. Didn't a lot of pitchers get all whiny about steroids too even though they were just as roided up, if not more? Hell, plenty of pitchers get all up in arms about the shift too, even though they're dead wrong about it hurting them.
Whether or not they're right-- much like whether or not you're just being reactionary here-- is irrelevant, and isn't what I was arguing. What was under discussion was whether Beltran staying would have been an issue with his players. It's very, very likely that it would have been a problem with a significant enough number of them to get in the way.
bullshit. it absolutely wouldn't have. This is just pitchers complaining about having a bad outing, or complaining about losing. How many assholes and 'cheaters' and 'enemies' do you think end up playing with each other all the time. Eyes forward, on the prize, new season, new team, this stuff would've been water under the bridge.

Barley Prose
41Forever

Post by 41Forever » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:05 am

Ceetar wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:55 am
LWFS wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:35 am
bullshit. it absolutely wouldn't have. This is just pitchers complaining about having a bad outing, or complaining about losing. How many assholes and 'cheaters' and 'enemies' do you think end up playing with each other all the time. Eyes forward, on the prize, new season, new team, this stuff would've been water under the bridge.
Didn't seem like it was water under the bridge to Stroman.
Ceetar

Post by Ceetar » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:19 am

I said would've been. Funny how working together towards a common goal makes you care less about nebulous things from years ago.

Barley Prose