Guess that Met

Cowtipper

Re: Guess that Met

Post by Cowtipper » Mon Sep 02, 2024 7:40 pm

Franco and Sasser are correct. As for the decades, you got 2/3 correct. Want to give it another shot? The unguessed decade is a bit more recent. Two new questions have been added.

1. I had a T-Shirt night in the 2010s and was traded away the night of the T-Shirt giveaway.

--originally posted by "jjpm74"

Hint: Traded by the New York Mets with John Buck and cash to the Pittsburgh Pirates for a player to be named later and Dilson Herrera. The Pittsburgh Pirates sent Vic Black (August 29, 2013) to the New York Mets to complete the trade.

2. Who am I?

3. The Mets have had winning records in three decades. Name those decades.

4. My last name consists of three words
The last one meaning 'goose'
I'm a pitcher, so you've heard
That the Mets have yet to cut loose

Who am I?

5. Sometimes I was another name
Clumped in with the Big Three
I didn't do much with New York
But got back a great 1B

Who am I?

Running tally of correct guessers:

Johnny Lunchbucket: 127
Edgy MD: 87
stevejrogers: 77
batmagadanleadoff: 34
The Hot Corner: 11
DocTee: 10
metsmarathon: 9
Benjamin Grimm: 6
MFS62: 4
Batty31: 2
Marshmallowmilkshake: 1
Methead: 1
stevejrogers

Post by stevejrogers » Mon Sep 02, 2024 8:42 pm

Current decade
stevejrogers

Post by stevejrogers » Mon Sep 02, 2024 8:44 pm

Robert Person for #5
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Tue Sep 03, 2024 11:11 am

You got the decades correct, well done. Also, Person is correct.

1. I had a T-Shirt night in the 2010s and was traded away the night of the T-Shirt giveaway.

--originally posted by "jjpm74"

Hint: Traded by the New York Mets with John Buck and cash to the Pittsburgh Pirates for a player to be named later and Dilson Herrera. The Pittsburgh Pirates sent Vic Black (August 29, 2013) to the New York Mets to complete the trade.
Hint: Was a Baseball America top prospect in 2002 and 2003 and an All-Star in 2010.He finished with 159 career home runs, 21 of which came with the Mets in his lone year with the club, 2013.

2. Who am I?

Hint: Played in the majors from 1970 to 1974, the Mets in 1973 and 1974. He had previously played for the Expos. He was 0-0 in 8 relief appearances with NY.

3. My last name consists of three words

Who am I?

Hint: Appeared in three games for the Mets in 2022; his last name translate to "Mountains of Geese." He's still in the Mets system.

4. Who am I?

5. From the back of a baseball card: "This player, a well-seasoned journeyman, gave the Mets strong relief from the bench in '90. He became especially valuable in August when Kevin Elster went on the disabled list and Howard Johnson moved to shortstop. This player filled in at third base and handled himself well. Earlier, his 11th-inning home run defeated the Expos 6-5. In '89, this player was the International League MVP as he led the league with 84 RBIs, ranked fifth with 15 homers and batted .295. At 21, he was the youngest player in the NL when he made his major league debut in '82 for the Giants at, ironically, Shea Stadium." Who am I?

stevejrogers: 79
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Sun Sep 08, 2024 7:58 am

Answering the unanswered:

Marlon Byrd

2. Who am I?

John Strohmayer

3. My last name consists of three words

Who am I?

Bryce Montes de Oca

4. Who am I?

Keith Miller

5. From the back of a baseball card: "This player, a well-seasoned journeyman, gave the Mets strong relief from the bench in '90. He became especially valuable in August when Kevin Elster went on the disabled list and Howard Johnson moved to shortstop. This player filled in at third base and handled himself well. Earlier, his 11th-inning home run defeated the Expos 6-5. In '89, this player was the International League MVP as he led the league with 84 RBIs, ranked fifth with 15 homers and batted .295. At 21, he was the youngest player in the NL when he made his major league debut in '82 for the Giants at, ironically, Shea Stadium." Who am I?

Tom O'Malley
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Sun Sep 08, 2024 9:11 pm

1. Who am I?

I had stints with the Mets four times
But my ABs maxed at 176
Despite some solid performances
I was never much in the mix

Then I disappeared a while
But never did I relax
And after a few years away
I returned with the D-Backs

2. Who am I?

3. From the back of an old card: "When this player is in charge on the mound, he is one of the stingiest pitchers in baseball. For example, in '90, he tossed his fifth career two-hitter, a 5-0 victory over the Expos. Want further proof? In '89, this player ranked second in the league with an opponents batting average of only .198; his .191 opponents BA in '88 was the lowest in the majors. Throwing with a quirky delivery, this player mixes a riding fastball and a big, sinking curveball to great effect. In '89, he tied for the league lead in winning percentage (14-5 for a .737) and ranked third in strikeouts (198). His average of 8.1 K's per nine innings came in second." Who am I?

4. I was a man of the O's and also the Jays
Before it was in New York that I would play
I came aboard for a guy named Roy Lee
Then the Mets got two guys for Carlos and me

Who am I?

5. Who am I?

DocTee

Post by DocTee » Mon Sep 09, 2024 5:27 am

2. Howard Johnson
5. Sid Fernandez
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Mon Sep 09, 2024 12:35 pm

Johnson and Fernandez are correct!

1. Who am I?

But my ABs maxed at 176

But never did I relax

Hint: A fifth round pick in 2004, he played for the Mets from 2008 to 2011. He returned to the majors with Arizona in 2014. He played outfield and first base.

2. From the back of an old card: "When this player is in charge on the mound, he is one of the stingiest pitchers in baseball. For example, in '90, he tossed his fifth career two-hitter, a 5-0 victory over the Expos. Want further proof? In '89, this player ranked second in the league with an opponents batting average of only .198; his .191 opponents BA in '88 was the lowest in the majors. Throwing with a quirky delivery, this player mixes a riding fastball and a big, sinking curveball to great effect. In '89, he tied for the league lead in winning percentage (14-5 for a .737) and ranked third in strikeouts (198). His average of 8.1 K's per nine innings came in second." Who am I?

Hint: Played in the majors from 1983 to 1997. He was a Met from 1984 to 1993, having been traded to New York with Ross Jones for Bob Bailor and Carlos Diaz. He was Hawaiian.

3. I was a man of the O's and also the Jays
Before it was in New York that I would play
I came aboard for a guy named Roy Lee
Then the Mets got two guys for Carlos and me

Who am I?

Hint: Played in the majors from 1975 to 1985. Traded by the New York Mets with Carlos Diaz to the Los Angeles Dodgers for Sid Fernandez and Ross Jones. Appeared on Hall of Fame ballot in 1991, but received no votes. Was a utility guy who played significantly in the outfield, at third, second and short. Played for the Mets from 1981 to 1983.

4. Who am I?

"This player contributed a bunch of home runs and plenty of youthful enthusiasm to the Mets as a part-time outfielder in '90. He platooned a lot with Daryl Boston in center field as the season progressed, and smashed six home runs in his first 16 starts. A disciplined hitter with a quick bat and excellent power, this player was tremendous coming off the bench in '89. He led the NL with our pinch-hit home runs and batted .370 as a pinch-hitter. The son of Camilo, a major league catcher for eight seasons, this player was a Triple-A International League All-Star for two seasons ('87 and '88). He topped the league with a record 19 game-winning RBIs and 41 doubles in '87."

5. I was an unsung number 3
There was Tom and Jerry
Then there was me

Who am I?

DocTee: 12
DocTee

Post by DocTee » Mon Sep 09, 2024 12:37 pm

2. Sid Fernandez !
3. Bob Bailor !
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Mon Sep 09, 2024 12:48 pm

5. Is Harrelson
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Mon Sep 09, 2024 7:22 pm

Fernandez and Bailor are correct! The given correct answer for #5 was Jon Matlack, but Bud Harrelson works, too.

1. Who am I?

But my ABs maxed at 176

But never did I relax

Hint: A fifth round pick in 2004, he played for the Mets from 2008 to 2011. He returned to the majors with Arizona in 2014. He played outfield and first base.

2. Who am I?

"This player contributed a bunch of home runs and plenty of youthful enthusiasm to the Mets as a part-time outfielder in '90. He platooned a lot with Daryl Boston in center field as the season progressed, and smashed six home runs in his first 16 starts. A disciplined hitter with a quick bat and excellent power, this player was tremendous coming off the bench in '89. He led the NL with our pinch-hit home runs and batted .370 as a pinch-hitter. The son of Camilo, a major league catcher for eight seasons, this player was a Triple-A International League All-Star for two seasons ('87 and '88). He topped the league with a record 19 game-winning RBIs and 41 doubles in '87."

3. Who am I?

4. From the back of a baseball card: "When the Mets traded Kevin Baez and Tom Wegmann to the Orioles for this player, they obtained a first-rate first baseman and considerably tightened up their infield defense. A contact hitter, he has power to the gaps." Who am I?

5. I wasn't a Met for long
Appearing in just two games
Don't be mad if you get this wrong
Not many remember my name

I was a catcher from CA
Who went and took my licks
I went at it every day
And got the call in '76

Who am I?

Johnny Lunchbucket: 128
DocTee: 14
DocTee

Post by DocTee » Mon Sep 09, 2024 7:55 pm

3, Seaver
4, Segui
Methead

Post by Methead » Mon Sep 09, 2024 8:01 pm

#2 is Mark Carreon
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Wed Sep 11, 2024 3:34 pm

Seaver, Segui and Carreon are correct. Well done!

1. Who am I?

But my ABs maxed at 176

But never did I relax

Hint: One of the primary fill-ins for Ike Davis in 2011 after Davis got hurt.
Hint:

2. I wasn't a Met for long
Appearing in just two games
Don't be mad if you get this wrong
Not many remember my name

I was a catcher from CA
Who went and took my licks
I went at it every day
And got the call in '76

Who am I?

Hint: The Mets were his only big league team. He played in their system from 1972 to 1977. He died in 2009.
Hint:

3. Who am I?

Hint: The Toronto Blue Jays sent this player to the New York Mets to complete an earlier deal made on August 27, 1992. August 27, 1992: The Toronto Blue Jays sent a player to be named later and Jeff Kent to the New York Mets for David Cone.

4. From the back of a baseball card: "This player could have complained about the Mets for moving him back to third base, a position where he is admittedly less comfortable. But he didn't. Instead, he had a .500-plus slugging percentage for the third time in his career and played surprisingly well defensively." Who am I?

Hint: A six-time All-Star, this player spent 1992 to 1995 with the Mets before being traded to the Orioles for for Damon Buford and Alex Ochoa. He later returned to the club in 1999. Overall, he hit 95 home runs with 295 RBI in his Mets career.

5. With the Tigers I couldn't win it;
My ERA was infinite
With the Mets I wasn't fine
My ERA was 9

Who am I?

Hint: One of the few Mets whose last name begins with "U."

Johnny Lunchbucket: 128
DocTee: 16
Methead: 2
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Thu Sep 12, 2024 1:33 pm

New day, new hints added above.
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Thu Sep 12, 2024 2:26 pm

1. Nick Evans
2. Jay Kleven
3. Ryan Thompson
DocTee

Post by DocTee » Thu Sep 12, 2024 9:32 pm

4. bobby bo (nilla)
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:17 pm

Evans, Kleven, Thompson and Bonilla are correct! Well done. New questions have been added with a hint for the last one.

1. With the Tigers I couldn't win it;
My ERA was infinite
My ERA was 9

Who am I?

Hint: "[This player] had just about as poor a major league debut as any pitcher can have. Pitching for the Detroit Tigers, he entered the first game of a doubleheader on September 9, 2004, he took over for Jason Johnson with his team trailing 8-2 and the bases loaded with one out. He proceeded to walk David DeJesus to force in a run, then allowed five straight singles before being removed from the game. All of his baserunners eventually scored with Franklyn German on the mound, giving him an infinite ERA in what was his only game pitched that year. Three years later, in 2007, he came back to pitch two more games with the New York Mets and did better, allowing 1 run in 1 inning. For his major league career, his ERA was 63.00."

2. Who am I?

3. From the back of a baseball card: "Playing baseball in Montreal demanded a certain flexibility that some players struggled to master. Not this player. He reveled in it. He fell in love with the culture, and Montreal's passionate fans loved him all the more because of it. He grew so comfortable with the language that he gave speeches in French. He even signed his autograph with the French salutation: "Mes Meilleurs Souhaits (My Best Wishes), Le Grand Orange." Little wonder he's regarded as the most popular player in Expos history." Who am I?

4. You might know me as a recent Met
But there's still a chance you won't guess me, I bet
I share the name of a former wide receiver
But starting in '21 I was a Mets reliever

Who am I?

5. Who am I?

Johnny Lunchbucket: 131
DocTee: 17
The Hot Corner

Post by The Hot Corner » Sat Sep 14, 2024 10:56 am

#3 - Rusty Staub
When did the choices get so hard
With so much more at stake
Life gets mighty precious
When there's less of it to waste
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:48 am

Staub is correct! Well done. A new question has been added, with hints for the rest.

1. With the Tigers I couldn't win it;
My ERA was infinite
My ERA was 9

Who am I?

Hint: "[This player] had just about as poor a major league debut as any pitcher can have. Pitching for the Detroit Tigers, he entered the first game of a doubleheader on September 9, 2004, he took over for Jason Johnson with his team trailing 8-2 and the bases loaded with one out. He proceeded to walk David DeJesus to force in a run, then allowed five straight singles before being removed from the game. All of his baserunners eventually scored with Franklyn German on the mound, giving him an infinite ERA in what was his only game pitched that year. Three years later, in 2007, he came back to pitch two more games with the New York Mets and did better, allowing 1 run in 1 inning. For his major league career, his ERA was 63.00."
Hint:

2. Who am I?

Hint: Hit .340 for the Mets in 1969.

3. You might know me as a recent Met

Who am I?

Hint: Pitched for the Mets in 2021 and 2022. Previously played for the Dodgers, later played for the Dodgers, Orioles and Dodgers again. The wide receiver he shares a name with wore #86 for the Vikings in the 1990s.

4. Who am I?

Hint: Played for the Mets from 1990 to 1993. Involved in this trade: "August 30, 1990: Traded by the Milwaukee Brewers with a player to be named later to the New York Mets for players to be named later. The New York Mets sent Julio Machado (September 7, 1990) and Kevin Brown (September 7, 1990) to the Milwaukee Brewers to complete the trade. The Milwaukee Brewers sent Kevin Carmody (minors) (September 11, 1990) to the New York Mets to complete the trade." Played until 2000, when he was 40.

5. From the back of a baseball card: "This player started off the '94 season with a wallop. On Opening Day, he went 4-for-5, with a homer, and two weeks later smashed two home runs and drove in five runs in a win over the Cubs. Hard-nosed and a rare middle infielder with power, he ranked third on the Mets in '93 with 21 homers, 24 doubles and 80 RBI." Who am I?

Johnny Lunchbucket: 131
DocTee: 17
The Hot Corner: 12
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Sun Sep 15, 2024 2:35 pm

1 lino Urdaneta
2 Cleon Jones
DocTee

Post by DocTee » Sun Sep 15, 2024 3:08 pm

5. Jeff Kent
Methead

Post by Methead » Sun Sep 15, 2024 3:32 pm

#4 Charlie O'Brien
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Sun Sep 15, 2024 6:57 pm

Urdaneta, Jones, Kent and O'Brien are correct! Four new questions have been added.

1. You might know me as a recent Met

Who am I?

Hint: Pitched for the Mets in 2021 and 2022. Previously played for the Dodgers, later played for the Dodgers, Orioles and Dodgers again. The wide receiver he shares a name with wore #86 for the Vikings in the 1990s.

2. I perished in Tennessee
​But was born up in VA
I once went 0-3
But lost none in my Mets stay

New York was my last team
Which perhaps was not my plan
But I made all the clubs scream
"You're over the hill, man!"

Who am I?

3. Before Ryan Zimmerman broke the record, which former Met held the MLB record for the most career home runs among players with a last name starting with "Z"?

4. Which former Met holds the single-season record for highest batting average as a pinch hitter (min. 30 ABs)?

5. Which former Met holds the record for most at-bats in a rookie season? He might not have done it as a Met.

Johnny Lunchbucket: 133
DocTee: 18
The Hot Corner: 12
Methead: 3