Actual New Threads: Players not a Fanatic

batmagadanleadoff

Re: Actual New Threads: Players not a Fanatic

Post by batmagadanleadoff » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:00 am

Benjamin Grimm wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:49 amI think if I was a player who was with a new team in 2024, I'd buy some custom authentic 2023 uniforms from a sporting goods retailer.
If I was a Met, I'd wear an old Mets '65 jersey with the World's Fair patch. Or a Mercury Mets shirt, depending on how rebellious I was feeling.
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:15 pm

Harper is an Under Armor guy so no worries f'ing with Nike. Most of the league is a different story.
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:52 pm

batmagadanleadoff wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:44 amThen there's the Bud Harrelson memorial patch, which is crammed in with the skyline logo patch so that the two patches are practically touching each other, they're so close to each other, because the best sleeve real estate is now reserved for .... wait for it ... Columbia Presbyterian Hospital.
If the memorial patch is supposed to be a successor to memorial black armbands — and I think it's pretty clear that it is — those have been traditionally worn on the left sleeve, so yeah, it's extra crass to have the memorial patch displaced by the sponsor patch.

A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.
batmagadanleadoff

Post by batmagadanleadoff » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:29 pm

Edgy MD wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:52 pm
batmagadanleadoff wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:44 amThen there's the Bud Harrelson memorial patch, which is crammed in with the skyline logo patch so that the two patches are practically touching each other, they're so close to each other, because the best sleeve real estate is now reserved for .... wait for it ... Columbia Presbyterian Hospital.
If the memorial patch is supposed to be a successor to memorial black armbands — and I think it's pretty clear that it is — those have been traditionally worn on the left sleeve, so yeah, it's extra crass to have the memorial patch displaced by the sponsor patch.
Prior to the sponsor patch, Mets memorial patches were always worn on the right sleeve. Since 1966, the left sleeve was always reserved for the Mets Skyline logo patch, with the exception of the 1969 regular season and playoffs - when the Mets wore the MLB centennial patch on the left sleeve, but no Skyline patch. The skyline patch was returned to the left sleeve for the '69 WS, with the centennial patch moved to the right sleeve. Also, the Mets wore a stylized skyline patch in 1986 to celebrate their 25th anniversary.

The current Mets uniform is not so uniform. The NY Presbyterian sponsor patch is worn on both the left and right sleeves, depending on whether the pitcher throws lefty or righty or whether the position player bats righty or lefty. This is to maximize the visibility of the sponsor patch on TV broadcasts. And if the Mets now wear their sponsor patch on either sleeve, then the same goes for their Skyline logo patch.

sponsor patch on left sleeve

sponsor patch on right sleeve
metirish

Post by metirish » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:56 pm

Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:14 pm

Gosh, Nike is under the bus, as if dozens of parties didn't have to sign off.
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:36 am

metirish wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:56 pm

About time. The MLBPA deserves our gratitude for this, they were the only entity capable of affecting things. MLB belongs to Nike, fans like us are powerless.
Centerfield

Post by Centerfield » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:43 am

That’s great news.

I realize this ship has sailed but I still hate the advertising on the uniform.
Benjamin Grimm

Post by Benjamin Grimm » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:21 am

Benjamin Grimm wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:51 pm I predict that this will be the New Coke of sports uniforms.
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:07 am

I would gather that the main thing that's going to change is the main players' concern, and that is blend of the base fabric.

The secondary concern that is mostly an issue for fans — the small and universally styled lettering of the names on back — will probably be addressed as a gratuitous bone to chew on and for MLB and Nike to claim that they care about fans.

But I fear that the more drastic sea-change — that MLB has moved from raised, sewn-on uniform elements to flat decals — will not be reversed at all. That's a wheel that needs to squeak a lot louder.
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Fri May 03, 2024 3:50 pm

MLB makes it official. Bigger letter, better color coordination, better fitting pants coming.

The lack of the word "fan" in here is telling, though.

“Player and Club feedback is extremely important to us,” said Commissioner of Baseball Robert D. Manfred, Jr. “Together with Nike, we listened to our players and as a result, we are addressing their concerns.”
Benjamin Grimm

Post by Benjamin Grimm » Fri May 03, 2024 3:56 pm

Johnny Lunchbucket wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:50 pm The lack of the word "fan" in here is telling, though.
Good point.

Is this going to happen this year, or will it wait until 2025?
metirish

Post by metirish » Fri May 03, 2024 4:19 pm

I believe it was mentioned during a game the other night , "no later than 2025" was the terminology I remember