Actual New Threads: Players not a Fanatic

A Boy Named Seo

Actual New Threads: Players not a Fanatic

Post by A Boy Named Seo » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:54 am

Nike is still the manufacturer of MLB uniforms, but this year have hired Fanatics (they apparently took over Majestic's warehouse) to fulfill their uni visions for the '24 season. Fanatics is a provider of officially licensed sports merch but it seems like they have less expensive shit than the regular channels, too. In years past, I've bought old Arsenal kits for less than $30 (seems those days might be gone though) and a couple lower-tier replica Clippers jerseys without the Nike swoosh or corporate sponsor. Some of it feels like licensed knock-offs.

Anyway, baseball. Nike made several changes to the jersey this year, but the ones players and fans are griping most about are the material (players have said they fit differently and feel "cheap") and the new, smaller and more heavily curved last name on the back.

According to Lukas, these issues are Nike's not Fanatics', but people yell at whoever they want anyway cause that's how things work in this stupid world nowadays.

Here are a couple looks:

great googly moogly!
Edgy MD

Re: Actual New Threads: Players not a Fanatic

Post by Edgy MD » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:07 pm

Teams should be contracting out their uniform construction individually. Blunders shouldn't be universal.
A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:13 pm

It's a shame. Paul Lukas pointed out today the new unis do away with trim on beltloops--the Braves were the only team that did that but what was the point or whacking that?

The whole lowering of the MLB logo not only means cheap looking nameplates but the numerals themselves are smaller
A Boy Named Seo

Post by A Boy Named Seo » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:17 pm

Edgy MD wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:07 pm Teams should be contracting out their uniform construction individually. Blunders shouldn't be universal.
I agree. I always bring stuff back to soccer cause I'm insufferable, but I love how in European leagues (and the USL here in America), teams hire whoever they want and can be as imaginative (or not) as they like. One team has Puma, one Adidas, one has Charley from Mexico, etc.
great googly moogly!
A Boy Named Seo

Post by A Boy Named Seo » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:25 pm

Johnny Lunchbucket wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:13 pm It's a shame. Paul Lukas pointed out today the new unis do away with trim on beltloops--the Braves were the only team that did that but what was the point or whacking that?

The whole lowering of the MLB logo not only means cheap looking nameplates but the numerals themselves are smaller
I missed that pant thing. Uniformity is great for one team, but not for every team. MLB shouldn't be acting more like MLS.
great googly moogly!
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:32 pm

Word to the word.

Break up MLB.
Benjamin Grimm

Post by Benjamin Grimm » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:26 pm

Between the see-through pants and the smaller lettering of the names on the back of the jersey, this seems like a New Coke-level mistake.

I wonder if they'll do anything about it before Opening Day. I read that some players have been wearing last year's pants in spring training games, but I assume they wouldn't be allowed to do that in the regular season.
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:52 pm

It's all about Nike benefitting Nike. They wanted to do these more athletic costumes, as though playing baseball was like working out.

Everything was sacrificed for lighter looks, so less stitching, more iron on, narrower collar and front, which caused the MLB logo to drop, the names to shrink and numbers to fall on the back, and the odd breaks across the buttons on the front. The Mets uni splits the e in half instead of breaking between the M and e.

They will fix the pants--nobody buys them.

The shame of it nobody recognized that Major League baseball unis are supposed to be prominent, stitched, a little opulent, a little over the top -- that's one of the things that makes baseball unique.
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:37 pm

From the Toronto Globe and Mail ( behind a paywall), by Cathal Kelly:
The first baseball uniforms were made of coarse wool. Cotton would have made more sense – cheaper, more breathable – but those initial haberdashers of the diamond wanted to look like proper business types. That also explains the first hats, which were made of straw.

Before the invention of the elasticated boxer-brief and the athletic support, one can imagine what it must have felt like to throw a hundred pitches in form-fitting burlap. This must be why old-timey pitchers in the movies are always angry.

Amazingly, the baseball uniform hasn’t changed much in the nearly 200 years since. It remains an impractical sports-business suit. You watch a guy slide headfirst into second base – pretty standard baseball stuff – and he will rise in a state of dishevelment. His shirt has been pulled out of his pants. His pants have started to corkscrew around his waist. Everything’s akimbo. This problem is worse if the player is carrying a little extra baggage around the middle. God help that guy if he has to leg out a triple. By the time he gets to third, his uniform will have essentially worked its way off him. Then he has to get redressed in front of 40,000 people.

Imagine if it worked this way in other professions where people wear uniforms – ‘Sorry, I need a minute before I go into that burning building, chief. My shirt’s all funny.’

So when Major League Baseball and its equipment partners decided to rethink the uniform, there was room for innovation. The real upshot is that the uniforms are lighter. I’m not sure 18 ounces of broadcloth is what’s preventing the average shortstop from mashing like Mark McGwire, but let’s imagine that’s possible. Lighter fabric is also thinner. These new uniforms are so performance-enhanced that they become see-through under a hot flash.
The rest of the article is long, and funny.
If you can get past the paywall, it is worth a read.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/ ... of-sports/
Later
"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness". William Lonsdale Watkinson
I have never insulted anyone. I simply describe them, accurately.
"They fear love because it creates a world they can't control" - George Orwell
ashie62

Post by ashie62 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:55 pm

It's all about Nike

Nike likely even wrote the pressers for endorsers like Adley Rutschman Nolan Arenado and Acuna Jr for starters

No real attempt to make meaningful nice threads
Diabetic Squirrel
whippoorwill

Post by whippoorwill » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:40 am

See through pants?

Ew!
metirish

Post by metirish » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:59 am

Are these the new threads ? This looks really nice
Benjamin Grimm

Post by Benjamin Grimm » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:02 am

The smaller lettering seems unwise and unnecessary.
metirish

Post by metirish » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:04 am

Yeah, it is definitely noticable, probably looks worse on shorter names too
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:15 am

Johnny Lunchbucket wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:52 pmThe shame of it nobody recognized that Major League baseball unis are supposed to be prominent, stitched, a little opulent, a little over the top -- that's one of the things that makes baseball unique.
Yeah, baseball unis were at their peak when they include neckties.

Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:17 am

That's Oyster Burns, third from left, middle row, for Brooklyn
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:11 pm

And third from the left in the top row for the original New York Metropolitans, I'm pretty sure that's a time-traveling Randy Travis.

Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:34 pm

The Royals, of all teams, didn't like the new name-on-back lettering, asked if they could keep their old look, and were told, "Sure, whatever."

A little bit of thougtfulness can go a long way.

metirish

Post by metirish » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:35 pm

Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:20 pm

Edgy MD wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:34 pmThe Royals, of all teams, didn't like the new name-on-back lettering, asked if they could keep their old look, and were told, "Sure, whatever."
Seems like I made a bad assumption there, as the article suggests the Royals had to "lobby hard" for the exemption.
Benjamin Grimm

Post by Benjamin Grimm » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:29 pm

How ridiculous that they had to "lobby hard". There's clearly plenty of room for the larger letters.
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:02 pm

This makes me pissier the more I think about it.

Break up MLB.
batmagadanleadoff

Post by batmagadanleadoff » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:06 pm

Benjamin Grimm wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:29 pm How ridiculous that they had to "lobby hard". There's clearly plenty of room for the larger letters.
I'll betcha that the fucking Yankees didn't have to lobby hard, or even at all to skip the smaller letter last names or to have no names on back at all. Special treatment and all that crap.
ashie62

Post by ashie62 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:31 pm

Benjamin Grimm wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:02 am The smaller lettering seems unwise and unnecessary.
Yes
Diabetic Squirrel
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:16 am

The smaller lettering is getting the attention, but it seems like an ancillary issue to the broad replacement of the great baseball tradition of embroidery and patchwork with decalling.

The former is an issue of tacky-but-passing style. The latter is a sea change involving the character of the game.