☆☆☆☆
100%
☆☆☆☆☆
No votes

Total votes: 1
metirish

Charlie Hustle & The Matter of Pete Rose

Post by metirish » Sun Aug 04, 2024 3:59 pm

A four episode doc looking at Pete Rose on MAX. Rose as ever doesn't help himself, it's an interesting watch though , with Rose though you never know if he's telling the truth or telling lies,and that is central to this doc. The statuary rape is brought up and Rose's answers are infuriating.

Not many ex teammates are interviewed, two I think, I thought that was interesting.

Rose I think still doesn't get it and the doc shows it
Frayed Knot

Re: Charlie Hustle & The Matter of Pete Rose

Post by Frayed Knot » Sun Aug 04, 2024 8:31 pm

Just finished watching it last night.

It ends with Rose claiming he quit gambling six months ago (not clear specifically when he said that). But,as one of the Cincy area writers said, 'If there's a Liar's HoF Rose would have been in years ago', so there's little reason to believe that his claim is anything more than just one last shot (he'll turn 84 next April) at reinstatement and then possible HoF induction (two different things).

Mostly he and the whole sordid story come off as just sad. Living out in Vegas because -- well first because it is/was the best access to sports gambling -- but also because it's where he can make the most money from card shows, ball/memorabilia signings, and video birthday recordings, most of them seemingly for men not much younger than him. And while it's hard to tell, you wonder to what extent he needs the money.
Posting Covid-19 free since March of 2020
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Sun Aug 04, 2024 8:37 pm

There is a newish Pete Rose bio that is said to be the best of them but I read it and would hope someone can still do better.
Frayed Knot

Post by Frayed Knot » Sun Aug 04, 2024 10:50 pm

I read it too. Thought it was good, but, yeah, maybe not great.
The book and the docu had virtually the same title, but there's no credit
that I can find showing that the author had any input into the film.
Posting Covid-19 free since March of 2020
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Sun Aug 04, 2024 11:05 pm

I didn't need to read play by play of Game 6 of the 1975 World Series. I wanted to know what made Pete Rose tick. Remarkably little about betting in the book, more about dog racing during spring training.
metirish

Post by metirish » Mon Aug 05, 2024 7:23 am

I liked the headline in a Philly newspaper after the club brought back the players from the 1980 WS team, Rose gets into it with a female reporter who had asked him about the rape , he was dismissive and called her babe , anyway the healine was

ROSE COMES OUT OF EXILE LONG ENOUGH TO REMIND US WHY HE WAS THERE IN THE FORST PLACE