Twenty-Three Skiddoo: Jeff McNeil

Edgy MD

Twenty-Three Skiddoo: Jeff McNeil

Post by Edgy MD » Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:19 pm

A pleasure it is to present myself to you as the unlikely batting average champion of the National League. It was unlikely at the finish, I guess, but it wasn't unlikely overall, because teams were willing to play me to pull and pitch me away. That's pretty dumb, as good players are able to blast the ball through the opposite side of the infield by accident. Very good players are able to do it on purpose. For much of last year, I was a very good player.

Yeah, it meant abandoning my pull swing for much of the season, but it's still there, and if that means occasionally driving a double to gap rather than golfing a homer to right, that's cool too. I can be productive without the longball. I proved that shit in 2022.

With Canó gone and Baez gone and Giménez gone and Correa not signed and Mauricio not signed, I have a chance to finally prove something else — that I can plant myself at single position and keep it. A baseball team is always going to be made up of moving parts, but I've moved around more than most. For once I'm going into a season without having to guess where and when I'll be playing. That and a batting average championship is sweet. Being a two-time All Star is also.

Tell me though ... just how sweet will my game be in response? ZiPS says 3.5 WAR. Your opining may differ. Please use numbers.

A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.
Benjamin Grimm

Re: Twenty-Three Skiddoo: Jeff McNeil

Post by Benjamin Grimm » Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:21 pm

I've read that the ban on the shift will hurt McNeil, but I'm not convinced. I think he's a guy who can him 'em where they ain't. But this is one of the things I'm most curious about regarding the upcoming season.
metirish

Post by metirish » Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:40 pm

I absolutely love Jeff, really amazing to see him progress, and to see him rewarded. Like Grimm I'm really interested to see how Jeff reacts to the " banning of the shift "
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:52 am

.300 on the nose. Buncha singles and doubles