Happy 100th Birthday, Norman Lear!

batmagadanleadoff

Happy 100th Birthday, Norman Lear!

Post by batmagadanleadoff » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:16 pm

Guest Essay
On My 100th Birthday, Reflections on Archie Bunker and Donald Trump

Excerpt:
Encouraging that kind of conversation was a goal of mine when we began broadcasting “All in the Family” in 1971. The kinds of topics Archie Bunker and his family argued about — issues that were dividing Americans from one another, such as racism, feminism, homosexuality, the Vietnam War and Watergate — were certainly being talked about in homes and families. They just weren’t being acknowledged on television.

For all his faults, Archie loved his country and he loved his family, even when they called him out on his ignorance and bigotries. If Archie had been around 50 years later, he probably would have watched Fox News. He probably would have been a Trump voter. But I think that the sight of the American flag being used to attack Capitol Police would have sickened him. I hope that the resolve shown by Representatives Liz Cheney and Adam Kinzinger, and their commitment to exposing the truth, would have won his respect.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/27/opin ... -lear.html
Willets Point

Re: Happy 100th Birthday, Norman Lear!

Post by Willets Point » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:35 pm

I read his autobiography a few years ago. He had a very impressive career. It's amazing how many shows he had going at once back in the 70s/early 80s, and they were all in the top 20 in the ratings too.
smg58

Re: Happy 100th Birthday, Norman Lear!

Post by smg58 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:10 pm

He was, and is, remarkable. We should all write that well and that thoughtfully on our 100th birthday.