Ready, Sweat, Go! - Live in 2022

Edgy MD

Re: Ready, Sweat, Go! - Live in 2022

Post by Edgy MD » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:06 pm

NOSKUNKBAXTERNOTDOOBIEBROTHERS!!

That said, that looks like a fun show, going back and forth between the two sounds of the two vocalists' eras.
A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.
Fman99

Post by Fman99 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:27 am

Edgy MD wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:06 pm NOSKUNKBAXTERNOTDOOBIEBROTHERS!!

That said, that looks like a fun show, going back and forth between the two sounds of the two vocalists' eras.
Definitely, more a variety of sounds, in comparison to the previous two times I have seen them in their McDonald-free configuration and they lean heavier into the early/mid 70s catalog. As for me personally, as I enjoy both eras equally, it was a great contrast of song styles.
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:08 am

I tend to forget there's a Doobie version of "You Belong to Me" for years at a time, and then I hear the Doobie version on the radio and it's SO McDonald-y.
A Boy Named Seo

Post by A Boy Named Seo » Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:21 pm

Willets Point wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:49 pm I may have to take my old man self out for a night on the town. Japanese Breakfast (a.k.a. Michelle Zauner, who threw out the first pitch at a Mets game last month) and Yo La Tengo (who are named after a Mets anecdote) are on a bill together later this summer.
That's a heckuva bill right there
great googly moogly!
cal sharpie

Post by cal sharpie » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:03 pm

Saw Roxy Music and St. Vincent at MSG last night.

St. Vincent killed it. I'd seen her before fronting a quartet but last night there were backup singers, a dancer who appeared a couple of times and a show geared to the size of the venue. Many in the audience didn't know how to respond but I loved it.

This was Roxy Music's 50th anniversary tour. I saw them as a lad opening for the Steve Miller Band 49 years ago back when Brian Eno was in the group. Last night featured the original band minus the bass player and with lots of others on-stage (a 13 piece band) performed a good show. I have to say that I so much prefer the early loopy Roxy Music sound to the smooth Avalon period but I was clearly in the minority last night, however, there was enough for both camps to enjoy and just hearing Phil Manzanera play guitar is a joy. Brian Ferry can't hit the high notes anymore and relied on backup singers quite a bit but he is 70-something.
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:02 pm

My friend saw Roxy's DC show that immediately preceded your'n, and he got his hands on the setlist, and I have to congratulate them on having the most controlled setlist I've ever seen, including each song, the key, the beats-per-minute, and they exact time they each were supposed to last, down to the second.

By contrast, another friend (who was also at your Roxy Music MSG show) just saw Van Morrison and he walked off stage in the middle of "Gloria" without saying goodnight, and the band played on for five more minutes and the lights came up.

You'll probably be unsurprised to learn that "Do the Strand" is their fastest song, but taking just the bridge, "In Every Dream Home" is faster.
cal sharpie

Post by cal sharpie » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:34 pm

Do The Strand is maybe my favorite Roxy Music song but last night it didn't pop. Brian Ferry couldn't really sing it with the same brio as on the recording.
Willets Point

Post by Willets Point » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:10 pm

Willets Point wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:49 pm I may have to take my old man self out for a night on the town. Japanese Breakfast (a.k.a. Michelle Zauner, who threw out the first pitch at a Mets game last month) and Yo La Tengo (who are named after a Mets anecdote) are on a bill together later this summer.
Going to get live & sweaty tonight.
Centerfield

Post by Centerfield » Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:07 pm

Metric at Brooklyn Steel last night.

Amazing.