On the Road Again in 2023

cal sharpie

On the Road Again in 2023

Post by cal sharpie » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:13 am

So, for the third year in a row I'm escaping New York for the month of February. I'm leaving Saturday for four weeks in Mexico, two of which I'll be working and two not working. I spend a few days in Isla Holbox, an island a few hours from Cancun (not working), then two weeks in Mexico City (working part of the time), then ten days in San Miguel de Allende (working part of the time but mostly not working). Our daughter and her husband are with us for the first part of the trip and our son joins us for part of the latter part. Don't know if I can keep pulling this off but I want to try - the benefit of being able to work remotely.
whippoorwill

Re: On the Road Again in 2023

Post by whippoorwill » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:10 pm

Sounds wonderful!
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:13 pm

cal sharpie wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:13 am I spend a few days in Isla Holbox, an island a few hours from Cancun (not working), then two weeks in Mexico City (working part of the time)
I just heard on the news that there is currently a dispute in Cancun between the Uber drivers and the yellow cab drivers that has caused traffic jams all over the area. (Not in other parts of Mexico) Have you been impacted by that?
Aside from that, it sounds like you'll be having a great time.
Enjoy.

Later
"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness". William Lonsdale Watkinson
I have never insulted anyone. I simply describe them, accurately.
"They fear love because it creates a world they can't control" - George Orwell
Fman99

Post by Fman99 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:04 am

Visiting friends in the Melbourne, FL area for the weekend. Currently tired as hell at LGA on layover.
cal sharpie

Post by cal sharpie » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:25 am

Thanks for the warning, MFS62. We do fly into Cancun tomorrow and will need to get to the bus station to get to Holbox. Hope that the taxi/Uber war doesn't delay us.
A Boy Named Seo

Post by A Boy Named Seo » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:34 pm

cal sharpie wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:13 am So, for the third year in a row I'm escaping New York for the month of February. I'm leaving Saturday for four weeks in Mexico, two of which I'll be working and two not working. I spend a few days in Isla Holbox, an island a few hours from Cancun (not working), then two weeks in Mexico City (working part of the time), then ten days in San Miguel de Allende (working part of the time but mostly not working). Our daughter and her husband are with us for the first part of the trip and our son joins us for part of the latter part. Don't know if I can keep pulling this off but I want to try - the benefit of being able to work remotely.
This is kinda the dream right here. I'm fully remote but future wifey is only part-time for now.

We just got back from a lovely week in Belize, but if things were different, we'd have taken the doggos with us somewhere and held down a place down for a few months. Just curious, cal, do you rent your NY place when you skip town?
great googly moogly!
cal sharpie

Post by cal sharpie » Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:17 pm

It's been different each year. Really not a whole lot of people are anxious to spend the month of February in New York so, no, we haven't rented out the place. Two years ago we left it empty and our son came by occasionally to water plants and shovel snow if needed. We got a cat after that and so last year a friend of my son's girlfriend stayed here to feed the cat. This year that same girlfriend will stay here for about half the time (they now live in Philadelphia) as she is an actress and is in rehearsals for a show so having the place is convenient for her (plus she really likes our cat). Otherwise we are paying a cat-feeder (which really adds up) and a friend is on tap should snow need to be removed.