Memories of Feline Galore

nymr83

Re: Memories of Feline Galore

Post by nymr83 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:31 pm

Bob Alpacadaca wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:46 pm
Benjamin Grimm wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:26 pm I suppose they should say "Ten Little Guardians"
This is funny.
Oh that was the post of the month right there.
- - -
“It feels bad when I strike out and I get booed” -Big Baby Baez
cal sharpie

Post by cal sharpie » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:36 pm

Also in publishing for a company that publishes some of the authors mentioned. I am of two minds: when my daughter was little we read Dr Dolittle to her and the racist claptrap was really hard to take and erasing that stuff (which has been done) is right to do. The Dahl situation is a function of the Estate and Netflix who bought control of the properties. The changes are silly and the publisher is right to overrule them or at least keep both versions around. With Seuss the problem was illustrations of things like African natives with a bone in their nose. This was led by Dr Seuss Enterprises and those books will eventually be republished. I don’t care about Ian Fleming, he was a hack. Read somebody else, there are far better books in the genre out there. The books had gone out of print anyway. These controversies take away from the far more invidious problem of book banning in states and localities throughout the country.
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:33 pm

It's worth struggling with as well though. There have been a bunch of TV and film productions coming over from England which adapt novels from Britain's past but do so while sanitizing the material by removing all smoking and depicting minorities and disabled persons as already smoothly integrated into society in ways that weren't in the source material and were pretty unlikely to be accepted as matter-of-fact, and it strikes me as something of an unhealthy way to reckon with the past.

I agree with sharpie about the relative merits of Ian Fleming's work, and it's funny to think that there's any way to blot out material that would offend latter-day sensibilities. It's Bond. It's like trying to come up with a way to make a 1972 Playboy magazine suitable for a first-grader in 2022.
A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.
whippoorwill

Post by whippoorwill » Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:39 am

Oh god remember the original Bobbsey Twin books?

I had to skip the Dinah and Sam parts because I couldn’t decipher them.
They absolutely needed upgrading.
TransMonk

Post by TransMonk » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:45 pm

i am a patient boy...i wait, i wait, i wait, i wait