Crimea River

Frayed Knot

Crimea River

Post by Frayed Knot » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:02 pm

I have no particular purpose in posting these vids, except maybe to point out what a lesser planet it would be if we somehow limited to single interpretations of art.

Written in 1953 by Arthur Hamilton, this song was originally intended for Ella Fitzgerald to sing in the film 'Pete Kelly's Blues'
But the song was dropped from the film leaving singer Julie London to record the first, though hardly the last, commercial version.

At some point over the last year I stumbled across the two versions below. Each (IMO) is terrific in their own way which is especially
cool when those two can have some saying to themselves, 'Wait a minute ... those two are of the same song?!?'

Mrs. Costello is up first:

And then there's this:

Posting Covid-19 free since March of 2020
whippoorwill

Re: Crimea River

Post by whippoorwill » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:32 pm

Joe cocker fan here

But I vote for Diana in this instance.
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:24 pm

The sequences built around the song in The Girl Can't Help It sure were weird, but they helped make it a big ol' hit. Kinda sexy weird, though, for a movie that was all about the sex-mad youth demographic.

The background sure was trippy, too. Jack Webb was making a film with Ella. Webb's wife, Julie London, reached out to her old high-school friend Hamilton to get him to write a song for the film. Ella records it but it gets cut from Webb's film, and her version doesn't get released for a bunch of years. Julie herself gets encouraged to record it by fellow actor/musician Bobby Troup. It becomes her biggest hit, and when she divorces Webb, she ends up marrying Troup.

I came to know Troup and London not as musicians at all, but as supporting players in Emergency! playing Dr. Joe Early and Nurse Dixie Walker respectively. They seemed a generation apart from each other, and if you told me they were married, I'd've said you were nuts. But Troup could do anything he wanted, because he's the guy who wrote "Route 66," which has been recorded by more people even than "Cry Me a River," so he spent his whole career cashing residuals checks for a song recorded by acts he never heard of.

And to sort of connect the circle, Emergency! was created by Jack Webb, and was set in the same universe as Webb's Dragnet.

Returning to the song, I didn't like Merle Haggard's version much at all, when I first heard it, but now it's a favorite. Jazz crossing paths with country doesn't always feel natural, but once you tune your ear to it, it can really work. Heck, that's pretty much where Willie Nelson lives.

A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.
Fman99

Post by Fman99 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:12 am

It works better to me as a slow song. Of these three renditions I like Krall's the best.
Frayed Knot

Post by Frayed Knot » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:38 am

I'm sure that a slow torch song was the original intent, and Krall certainly knocks it out of the park.
But at the same tine, what a rollicking performance by old Joe! He still had that power in his voice even if he was smart enough to let the backup singers
handle a large share so that he only had to belt out every other line or so. And it was great how everything from the singers' dancing to Joe's jacket were
so marvelously over the top.
Posting Covid-19 free since March of 2020