Mass Shootings

Centerfield

Re: Mass Shootings

Post by Centerfield » Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:52 pm

Honestly? If we really want change, it starts with term limits. Lawmakers can't be constrained by constant concerns of re-election. Then campaign finance reform. Can't allow special interest groups to buy politicians.

The next step is accountability for false statements by "news" agencies or social media. You can't let people call themselves news, then escape liability claiming satire.

Without this, nothing will ever change.
kcmets

Post by kcmets » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:04 pm

Agreed, word for word.
#lgm #ygb #ymdyf
Ceetar

Post by Ceetar » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:26 pm

besides for a small progressive minority (which will become the majority soon enough, I don't see how anyone would think these kids living through this are going to be pro-gun) none of the elected officials or even most of those running favor doing enough to stop this stuff, so it makes it real hard to get anything accomplished.
Please listen to my podcast? You Did What Now?

Please listen to our podcast? Mets On Tap

www.ceetar.com/optimisticmetsfan

Barley Prose
kcmets

Post by kcmets » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:52 pm

Ceetar wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:26 pmnone of the elected officials or even most of those running favor doing enough to stop this stuff, so it makes it real hard to get anything accomplished.
Exactly.
#lgm #ygb #ymdyf
kcmets

Post by kcmets » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:01 pm

He's editing again! Musta been a humdinger...

I always miss the good stuff!

#lgm #ygb #ymdyf
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:25 pm

If virtually every other developed nation can abate this threat, the United States can, at the local level and nationally.
A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.
kcmets

Post by kcmets » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:49 pm

Edgy MD wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:25 pmIf virtually every other developed nation can abate this threat, the United States can, at the local level and nationally.
Good luck with that!

No nations our size. The two 'kinda' our size are run by dictators and
such. I mean, really The United States are failing miserably on anything
resembling united. Might be time for a country name change if things don't
start looking better. Not holding my breath.

New York has pretty good gun laws.
#lgm #ygb #ymdyf
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:03 pm

Sure there are developed nations our size and bigger that are democratically governed and not awash in mass shootings. Canada for one. Australia for another.
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:12 pm

Something like the top 25 countries in terms of gun death rates are in the Americas and outlying islands. We export far more gun death than we manufacture for domestic use.

This problem has a very limited source.
kcmets

Post by kcmets » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:30 pm

I just checked country-reference.com. Our SIM scores with Australia
and Canada are non-existent.

We're fucked, and no one the horizon to save things.
#lgm #ygb #ymdyf
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:08 pm

Well, they're developed nations and they're "about" our size. They're nations colonized by Anglo-Saxon white people who displaced indigenous populations, became the dominant society, established democratic rule, and have since been targets for immigration. If they're not comparable, nobody is.

Canada even has a whole bunch of guns but uses them more safely. Australia changed their laws in response to a mass-shooting, and now has a tiny fraction of the murder rate of countries from the Americas.
kcmets

Post by kcmets » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:50 pm

Edgy MD wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:08 pm Well, they're developed nations and they're "about" our size. They're nations colonized by Anglo-Saxon white people who displaced indigenous populations, became the dominant society, established democratic rule, and have since been targets for immigration. If they're not comparable, nobody is.
That barely puts a scratch in the SIM score, certainly not anything
approaching an attempt at a little dent.

You should go into speech writing. Or sermons. That's a gem.
#lgm #ygb #ymdyf
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:12 pm

I'd love to go into either of those fields if I could make a living off it, but I'm not sure how or why this became about me.
batmagadanleadoff

Post by batmagadanleadoff » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:38 pm

kcmets wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:01 pm He's editing again! Musta been a humdinger...

I always miss the good stuff!

I don't get your post at all. Though I'm half scared to even admit that I don't get your post because the last time I told someone that I didn't understand his post, he responded with a zillion paragraph holier than thou post all because he didn't wanna explain his earlier post or didn't wanna admit that he was wrong about something, especially to me. And I didn't understand that post either.

Also, why is there an image of one of your posts in the post of yours just above that I'm responding too and that I don't understand? And what the hell is wrong, for the love of Christ, with editing a post? Or is that another special rule that only applies to me? Hey! Here's an idea: why don't youse suspend me for making a c*nt joke that half the forum makes regularly but when they did it, it was perfectly fine. It's not as if I ever called anybody a c*nt. Or called their mother a whore like four of five times in the same rock and roll countdown thread without anything ever happening. No. I made a joke about Mets with the letters c,u,n and t in their names, comprising a C*nt Club. Like Clint Hurdle. And Shaun Fitzmaurice. And Claudell Washington. And some other members of the Mets c*nt club.

Here's another idea: why don't you abuse and mock me and treat me like the biggest chump in the world for 10 years running while I totally ignore your insults, hoping you'd go away or see the light or just get tired of insulting me like literally, every two or three days for like 10 years running - while your friend who likes to moderate things, even his own conversations, can ignore the whole thing because he's your friend --- until I've finally had enough of you and your abuse and decided to take matters into my own hands, and when I did that, your friend the mod decided to finally butt in by getting up my butt to defend you just about every single time I went after you.

In about half an hour, I'll come back to this post and maybe edit some grammatical issue or fix a typo, but mainly, so that you can see the edit tag and have another shit-fit because I edited this post, too.
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:05 pm

That (your claim in paragraph 1) didn't happen. Please don't try to sell the idea that it did, or make other false claims about your fellow posters. Other claims here ("shit fit"?) are also clearly untrue.

I also don't believe that you are afraid of writing what you want to write.

It's not too much to ask if we're just honest with each other. It saves a lot of time and energy.
kcmets

Post by kcmets » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:30 am

Edgy MD wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:12 pm I'd love to go into either of those fields if I could make a living off it, but I'm not sure how or why this became about me.
It's not about you, of course. Sorry. I just don't see many SIM score
points for Australia and Canada (Oy, Canada) and the good ol' U S of A.
I guess size doesn't always matter?

How about a civil suit lawyer? They make better money than a penman!
#lgm #ygb #ymdyf
batmagadanleadoff

Post by batmagadanleadoff » Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:21 pm

Edgy MD wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:05 pm That (your claim in paragraph 1) didn't happen. Please don't try to sell the idea that it did, or make other false claims about your fellow posters. Other claims here ("shit fit"?) are also clearly untrue.

You can disagree with me. It's your right and moreover, I permit you to disagree with me. So let it be written.

Shit fit. He used to post copies of my posts without even bothering to respond to them. Just cluttering up the threads with multiple copies of my posts, repeated all throughout threads. So that there'd be visual proof of the before post if I were to later edit the post. If I did that, you'd be up my ass in half a second. You had 10 years to put him in his place for abusing me for 10 years. But you looked the other way because he's your friend. But in a recent dustup of a few months ago, when he clearly started with me, you had the audacity to stick your nose in that one to tell me that I provoked him even though all I merely did was to respond to his abuse.

Can he explain what his problem is with editing? I mean, if he doesn't want posts to be edited, like for grammar or style or to fix a typo, he should disable the edit function. Or explain his issues.

You should stay out of this. You're incapable of moderating this Hatfield McCoy thing impartially and without bias. And by the way, your silence on the outrageous c*nt club fiasco is deafening. Because what the hell are you gonna say when half the forum used to make c*nt jokes. C*nt jokes that were way less offensive than posting a picture of Juan Centeno's baseball card with an accompanying caption: "I'm also in the club".
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:44 pm

It's not a matter of agreeing or disagreeing. It's simply a fact that what you claim did not happen. And you shouldn't make claims about your fellow posters that aren't true. It's a cheap provocation and attention grab and it's beneath you, and it does real damage to the forum, and that's awful.

Please don't think that my stating as such makes this a time to re-litigate the rest of your behavior. It doesn't.
Ceetar

Post by Ceetar » Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:50 pm

Maybe simply being able to delete posts would help. I know forums are still garbage 20th century tech, but it shouldn't really be that hard.
Please listen to my podcast? You Did What Now?

Please listen to our podcast? Mets On Tap

www.ceetar.com/optimisticmetsfan

Barley Prose
batmagadanleadoff

Post by batmagadanleadoff » Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:58 pm

Edgy MD wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:44 pm It's not a matter of agreeing or disagreeing. It's simply a fact that what you claim did not happen. And you shouldn't make claims about your fellow posters that aren't true. It's a cheap provocation and attention grab and it's beneath you, and it does real damage to the forum, and that's awful.

Please don't think that my stating as such makes this a time to re-litigate the rest of your behavior. It doesn't.
What's not true? That he has an absurd obsession with posts that I've edited? That he abused and mocked me for 10 years running and that he has an absurd obsession with me --period--? Give me a break and just go away and stay out of this.
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:38 pm

I was really, really clear on what I was stating to be untrue. I have no interest in going in circles. If you honestly don't understand something that has been written, please re-read, post-by-post, going backwards.

If you aren't being honest, pretending to be ignorant is a waste of time and a really bad look. Please don't do that.

And, if I may be redundant, it's a cheap provocation and attention grab and it's beneath you, and it does real damage to the forum, and that's awful.
Benjamin Grimm

Post by Benjamin Grimm » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:21 pm

This thread was actually idle for three months.
whippoorwill

Post by whippoorwill » Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:10 pm

I guess the horrid six year old wasn’t a mass shooter
TransMonk

Post by TransMonk » Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:42 pm

i am a patient boy...i wait, i wait, i wait, i wait
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:05 pm

The courage of the young man who disarmed the gunman at the second dance hall was amazing.
Then I remember the dozens of police standing around and doing nothing during the Uvalde school shootings.
That guy deserves formal recognition for what he did. (award, freedom medal, keys to the city - something)

Later
"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness". William Lonsdale Watkinson
I have never insulted anyone. I simply describe them, accurately.
"They fear love because it creates a world they can't control" - George Orwell