The Trevor Bauer is a Douchebag Thread

Edgy MD

Re: The Trevor Bauer is a Douchebag Thread

Post by Edgy MD » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:07 pm

Well, shit.
A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:10 pm

She's produced a damning text as well
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:14 pm

Yeah, reading the account, consensual or not, it sure seems like only luck or providence has kept him from killing somebody.
Frayed Knot

Post by Frayed Knot » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:40 pm

iow, MLB is saying that they don't care if it was decided that there wasn't enough to go to trial on that first case, that ain't all they're working with.
Posting Covid-19 free since March of 2020
nymr83

Post by nymr83 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:41 pm

Gwreck wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:23 pm Disagree. Assuming the allegations are proven (under the standard for MLB investigations) then the punishment makes sense.

Because, assuming again the allegations have been proven, there is a total lack of contrition, as well as aggravating circumstances (eg. previous instances of poor judgment, imprudent/improper behavior on social media).
I dont agree at all. This is a baseball groupie who sought him out and kept reaching out to him when he left things be after the first time. "fake ass contrition" that most people show isn't a mitigating circumstance. "aggravating circumstance" is when you abuse your spouse/live-in-gf/other woman who is reliant on you, or lives with you, or has a kid with you like Jose Reyes (who some of you still love) - someone who can't easily get away and certainly wasn't seeking more
nymr83

Post by nymr83 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:42 pm

Frayed Knot wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:40 pm iow, MLB is saying that they don't care if it was decided that there wasn't enough to go to trial on that first case, that ain't all they're working with.
well i don't anything about this second woman, all i've seen is that there is a 2nd accuser somewhere. certainly possible her story makes more sense than the first one
Marshmallowmilkshake

Post by Marshmallowmilkshake » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:44 am

He'll never play again. I'm very OK with that.
seawolf17

Post by seawolf17 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:20 am

Good. Fuck off, Trevor.
Willets Point

Post by Willets Point » Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:27 pm

To think that just a year ago people were aggrieved that this douchebag wasn't signed by the Mets. Biggest bullet dodged ever!
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:20 pm

To be fair I wanted the best pitcher available and not this douche, necessarily
batmagadanleadoff

Post by batmagadanleadoff » Wed May 04, 2022 12:32 am

Willets Point wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:27 pm To think that just a year ago people were aggrieved that this douchebag wasn't signed by the Mets. Biggest bullet dodged ever!

At the time, the pursuit of Bauer was the right thing to do. That the Mets lost out to the Dodgers ... that the Dodgers ultimately signed Bauer, and not the Mets ... is probably proof.

MLB would've lost its fucking mind had Cohen signed both Lindor and Bauer in the same off-season.
Gwreck

Post by Gwreck » Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:07 pm

After arbitration, Bauer’s suspension was reduced from 324 games to 194 games. This covers 144 games of the 2022 season (already served), plus a 50-game “time served” credit from when he was on paid administrative leave (not playing but getting paid).

He is reinstated, but docked pay for the first 50 games of 2023. He is under contract with the Dodgers at $32M for 2023.
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:25 pm

Good job digging up the ol' thread.

I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see the Dodgers eat that.
batmagadanleadoff

Post by batmagadanleadoff » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:00 pm

Edgy MD wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:25 pm
I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see the Dodgers eat that.
It was understood that Bauer was never gonna play for the Dodgers ever again, no matter what the outcome of his hearing. The Dodgers are done with him.
nymr83

Post by nymr83 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:24 am

The Dodgers can afford to eat that both financially and as far as losing his talent. I wonder which team will decide the talent is worth the baggage?
metirish

Post by metirish » Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:55 am

Always take Bob's tweets with a pinch of salt
Benjamin Grimm

Post by Benjamin Grimm » Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:25 am

nymr83 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:24 am I wonder which team will decide the talent is worth the baggage?
Would we be all that surprised if it turned out to be the Mets?
Frayed Knot

Post by Frayed Knot » Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:39 am

Benjamin Grimm wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:25 am
nymr83 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:24 am I wonder which team will decide the talent is worth the baggage?
I'll be surprised if anyone signs him.
Posting Covid-19 free since March of 2020
metsmarathon

Post by metsmarathon » Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:44 am

depends on how much coke is still running around in their system, but yeah. mostly because we don't need him.

i'm wondering myself what foreign team will pick him up...
A Boy Named Seo

Post by A Boy Named Seo » Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:42 am

This thread was tough to revisit. The video where Bauer tries to explain everything away is nauseating.

Glad it sounds like the Dodgers will move swiftly on from him. I don't want to see his ass on my TV this year, or ever again TBH. And I can't imagine any woman who's been hit by a man would either.

~~~
Also, I hope LFWS and Seawolf get over their hiatuses soon.
great googly moogly!
nymr83

Post by nymr83 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:50 am

I would be shocked actually. Cohen doesnt need drama/controversial talent at a reduced price. he'll pay full price for the player without baggage.
nymr83

Post by nymr83 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:52 am

A Boy Named Seo wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:42 am This thread was tough to revisit. The video where Bauer tries to explain everything away is nauseating.

Glad it sounds like the Dodgers will move swiftly on from him. I don't want to see his ass on my TV this year, or ever again TBH. And I can't imagine any woman who's been hit by a man would either.

~~~
If we're making a wish list I want Vic Sage back to discuss the Knicks.

Bauer claims everything that happened was consensual. There have been past abusers of women - Jose Reyes in particular - who had no such defense. Why is it that only Bauer seems to get the "I never even want to see him again treatment"? Did ANYONE say that about Reyes when the Mets brought him back?
A Boy Named Seo

Post by A Boy Named Seo » Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:04 pm

nymr83 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:52 am
A Boy Named Seo wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:42 am This thread was tough to revisit. The video where Bauer tries to explain everything away is nauseating.

~~~
If we're making a wish list I want Vic Sage back to discuss the Knicks.

Bauer claims everything that happened was consensual. There have been past abusers of women - Jose Reyes in particular - who had no such defense. Why is it that only Bauer seems to get the "I never even want to see him again treatment"? Did ANYONE say that about Reyes when the Mets brought him back?
I don't have a count for who felt one way about Reyes and another about Bauer. I don't want to see any abuser on my TV, though I'm glad Reyes was at least contrite and hope he put in some work. Regardless, I don't root for dudes who think beating the shit out of women is sexy. You?
great googly moogly!
batmagadanleadoff

Post by batmagadanleadoff » Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:24 pm

A Boy Named Seo wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:04 pm Regardless, I don't root for dudes who think beating the shit out of women is sexy. You?
I'm with you. I'd imagine that most people would find Bauer's behavior not only repulsive and despicable, but also incomprehensible.

Still, Bauer's case should or should've been decided based on principles of fairness and justice, not based on what you or I like or don't like. If his accuser consented, than Bauer should be exonerated. One guy on this forum (read this thread) argued for punishment because of how badly his accuser was beat up. Which to me, is absurd. If she consented, she consented and her consent should give Bauer a complete defense so long as a person is legally allowed to consent to the behavior she consented to. It shouldn't matter how badly she was beat up if she gave legal consent.

Otherwise, we might as well have a stupid rule where a boxer is allowed to beat up his opponent -- but not too badly. And if the boxer beats up his opponent too badly, he goes to jail.

Anyways, an MLB hearing is not like a criminal courtroom hearing or trial. The rules of evidence in baseball are very different -- laxer -- and MLB's standards for what's permissible and what's not are very different from the regular real world. I believed Bauer's defense from the start after reading the public material very thoroughly. It's telling that he wasn't charged criminally, especially with him being a wealthy celebrity. Prosecutors love to go after big shots.

Also, I think Bauer's MLB career is over. He's a pariah. And I hate to use such inflexible words like "never" because everybody, I mean, everybody comes back. Tonya Harding. PeeWee Herman. Everybody. But I don't think Bauer will.

Close to 7,000 view here? Wow. That's a lot, isn't it?
A Boy Named Seo

Post by A Boy Named Seo » Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:06 pm

batmagadanleadoff wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:24 pm
A Boy Named Seo wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:04 pm Regardless, I don't root for dudes who think beating the shit out of women is sexy. You?
I'm with you. I'd imagine that most people would find Bauer's behavior not only repulsive and despicable, but also incomprehensible.

Still, Bauer's case should or should've been decided based on principles of fairness and justice, not based on what you or I like or don't like. If his accuser consented, than Bauer should be exonerated. One guy on this forum (read this thread) argued for punishment because of how badly his accuser was beat up. Which to me, is absurd. If she consented, she consented and her consent should give Bauer a complete defense so long as a person is legally allowed to consent to the behavior she consented to. It shouldn't matter how badly she was beat up if she gave legal consent.

Otherwise, we might as well have a stupid rule where a boxer is allowed to beat up his opponent -- but not too badly. And if the boxer beats up his opponent too badly, he goes to jail.

Anyways, an MLB hearing is not like a criminal courtroom hearing or trial. The rules of evidence in baseball are very different -- laxer -- and MLB's standards for what's permissible and what's not are very different from the regular real world. I believed Bauer's defense from the start after reading the public material very thoroughly. It's telling that he wasn't charged criminally, especially with him being a wealthy celebrity. Prosecutors love to go after big shots.

Also, I think Bauer's MLB career is over. He's a pariah. And I hate to use such inflexible words like "never" because everybody, I mean, everybody comes back. Tonya Harding. PeeWee Herman. Everybody. But I don't think Bauer will.

Close to 7,000 view here? Wow. That's a lot, isn't it?
When you talk about his case, I'm guessing you mean his suspension with MLB? The LA DA didn't press charges against him, so maybe his legal case was "decided based on principles of fairness and justice" and he wasn't arrested. Good for you, Trev. MLB, which we saw with Bauer, can administer punishment with or without charges or arrests (this looks like the MLB domestic violence policy here). The league can interpret their own policy however they want, I guess. And they suspended the dude, Bauer appealed and it got reduced. Good for you again, Trev.

On consent, I think it's critically important we all keep in mind that a woman can consent and change her mind. A woman can consent multiple times and still change her mind. Especially if her face is being bashed in after giving consent. There's also a lot of discussion around power dynamics with the increasing volume of #metoo and Trevor had SO MUCH POWER over his accusers, from his status as celebrity and how he'd already wielded that power online against critics, and also the abject fear his accusers probably felt, if he hurt them in any way beyond what they had agreed to take part in. There's a lot to consider when reading texts or hearing him grunt "she consented".

All that's to say, it's now in the hands of potential employers and if the Dodgers or any other team doesn't want to hire Trevor Bauer to be an employee and represent their brand, then sorry, Trev, you can eat rocks. And there will be a TONS of noise from conscientious fans if any team comes sniffing around him, as there should be.

TL;DR Trevor Bauer is still a Douchebag and can suck a fuck
great googly moogly!