Holy @#%$!

metirish

Re: Holy @#%$!

Post by metirish » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:37 am

How are we reading the silence on this ?
Fman99

Post by Fman99 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:55 am

metirish wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:37 am How are we reading the silence on this ?
I liked this guy's take. I'm going to remain optimistic. I don't think anyone else is backing up the big truck like Unkie Steve.
bmfc1

Post by bmfc1 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:59 am

I read it as the two sides are still talking. My guess is that Boras gave Steve an artificial deadline of the new year ("Listen Steve, a new year means a new deal") to which Steve scoffed ("F*ck you, Scott, no one has my dough or plays in this City. You wanna two-year deal in Minnesota, be my guest.") The Puma "inside" quotes that other teams are interested likely come from Boras while Steve feeds Heyman.
kcmets

Post by kcmets » Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:16 am

Is Uncle Steve still in Hawaii? He's not answering my texts.
#lgm #ygb #ymdyf
metirish

Post by metirish » Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:33 am

What would Bobby Axelrod do though
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:13 pm

I wouidn't be surprised to see the Twins enter back into the picture. They have more on his current condition than most teams, and they already have a contract that he opted out of. It wouldn't be so hard to say to Boras, "That deal is still open to opt back into, or at least serve as a starting point."
A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.
ashie62

Post by ashie62 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:04 pm

I believe Correa will continue to play the short game
Diabetic Squirrel
Frayed Knot

Post by Frayed Knot » Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:32 pm

Not sure that the short game is in Correa's interest.
The problem isn't his health now but the possibility that the plate in his ankle, already nearly a decade old, will cause problems
as he ages into his thirties. So, while he can choose to two-year deal it all he wants, those are likely to peter out long before a
single twelve-year deal will.
Posting Covid-19 free since March of 2020
Frayed Knot

Post by Frayed Knot » Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:10 pm

So, it's a new year but no new news on Carlos Correa.
The Hot Corner

Post by The Hot Corner » Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:33 pm

I get the feeling that Boras and Correa are engaged in a game of chicken with Cohen. Eppler, and the Mets. It will be interesting to see who finally blinks. I would think that Correa has lost a great deal of his leverage in the wake of 2 failed physicals. I can't imagine any team offering him a long term deal without very specific wording, regarding his right ankle/lower leg. to protect them in the event of reinjury in the future.
When did the choices get so hard
With so much more at stake
Life gets mighty precious
When there's less of it to waste
Fman99

Post by Fman99 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:15 pm

The Hot Corner wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:33 pm I get the feeling that Boras and Correa are engaged in a game of chicken with Cohen. Eppler, and the Mets. It will be interesting to see who finally blinks. I would think that Correa has lost a great deal of his leverage in the wake of 2 failed physicals. I can't imagine any team offering him a long term deal without very specific wording, regarding his right ankle/lower leg. to protect them in the event of reinjury in the future.
He also has professed pretty publicly his preference to play with Lindor and for this team. He's showing his hole card here a bit
Fman99

Post by Fman99 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:03 am

Correa watch, day 14 (counting forward from 12/21 when this thread was kicked off): Nothing new to report
roger_that

Post by roger_that » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:35 am

kcmets wrote:Is Uncle Steve still in Hawaii? He's not answering my texts.

I would ask Steve Cohen directly--he lived across the street from me in the West Village for about six years, 2013-2019-- but no more are we neighbors. He sold his condo for 30 Million, about the time I broke up with my girlfriend whose house I was living in. When he first moved in (the building was a fabulously renovated former nursing home) my ex-GF, who works in finance, was all excited: "Steve COHEN is living right across the street from us!!" and I was all "Who's Steve Cohen?" I'd love to put a big sign in the front window: "Steve, wassup with Correa deal?" and such but alas.
“They had the easiest schedule on paper in MLB & they squandered it … It was still there for them last weekend when they went to ATL, all they had to do was win 1 game but their starting pitching... let them down, as it did this weekend.” Gary Cohen
Frayed Knot

Post by Frayed Knot » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:59 am

DiComo has a good summary piece on mlb.com, but neither side is currently leaking anything so there's no actual new news.
kcmets

Post by kcmets » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:21 am

I think this will wrap up this week, more bbbyyy to chew on....
NBC Rotoworld wrote:
According to Dan Martin of the New York Post, the Mets and free agent shortstop Carlos Correa are expected to resume contractual discussions soon.

The central question that remains unresolved this offseason is whether the Mets and Correa will reach a finalized contract agreement. New York expressed concern with Correa's medical reports -- specifically his surgically-repaired right ankle -- shortly after the two sides agreed to terms on a 12-year, $315 million deal back on December 21. Neither side has made any public statements, but they're believed to be working towards adding language into Correa's long-term contract, that would protect the Mets in the event that he sustains a career-altering ankle injury, without reducing the overall value of the original agreement. It's an extremely complicated situation that fantasy managers should continue to monitor closely.

SOURCE: New York Post
Jan 3, 2023, 9:12 AM ET
#lgm #ygb #ymdyf
roger_that

Post by roger_that » Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:20 pm

According to this article https://www.businessinsider.com/billion ... eet-tall-7 he had decorated the place with all this awful art, just big dull squares. It all looks the same, and all looks like a child could have painted it. Nice digs, though.
“They had the easiest schedule on paper in MLB & they squandered it … It was still there for them last weekend when they went to ATL, all they had to do was win 1 game but their starting pitching... let them down, as it did this weekend.” Gary Cohen
Benjamin Grimm

Post by Benjamin Grimm » Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:26 pm

For some reason, the artwork has been pixelated. It might lead me to think that he owns art that he's not supposed to own, but I doubt that's the case. Maybe he's worried that thieves might target specific pieces?
batmagadanleadoff

Post by batmagadanleadoff » Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:58 pm

Benjamin Grimm wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:26 pm For some reason, the artwork has been pixelated. It might lead me to think that he owns art that he's not supposed to own, but I doubt that's the case. Maybe he's worried that thieves might target specific pieces?

Cohen owns one of the five existing "original" Andy Warhol Marilyn Monroes.

The last Marilyn to sell fetched $195M. So Cohen's Marilyn is worth more than most MLB teams' entire payrolls. I'd pixelate that artwork. No, actually if it was me, I wouldn't want my home(s) photographed for the public at all.
nymr83

Post by nymr83 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:00 pm

a painting that expensive probably has its own pair of $75,000/year armed guards who each stand next to it in 12 hour shifts, just far enough away that they aren't obstructing Steve's staring at it. But then, it might not even be the most expensive one he owns?

And this is why our payroll is monopoly money.
- - -
“It feels bad when I strike out and I get booed” -Big Baby Baez
Centerfield

Post by Centerfield » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:01 pm

roger_that wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:20 pm According to this article https://www.businessinsider.com/billion ... eet-tall-7 he had decorated the place with all this awful art, just big dull squares. It all looks the same, and all looks like a child could have painted it. Nice digs, though.
I'm often struck by how grown up other people are. Like, if I was a bazillionaire, my mansion wouldn't look anything like that. I can't even imagine wasting space and money on a library. I mean, not before I get a giant two floor TV. A batting cage. Life-size replica of the Millennium Falcon. Laser Tag. An aquarium big enough to have sharks.
kcmets

Post by kcmets » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:02 pm

I imagine that whoever is insuring Uncle Steve's crib frowns upon pictures
of $x,xxxx,xxx artwork that adorns his walls being broadcast over the interweb.
Security staff too. Then again, he may have a classic Penthouse magazine fetish
and they can't show 70's bush and double D's on a web page???

(hey, that may warrant the first thread split of 2023)
Last edited by kcmets on Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#lgm #ygb #ymdyf
batmagadanleadoff

Post by batmagadanleadoff » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:05 pm

nymr83 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:00 pm a painting that expensive probably has its own pair of $75,000/year armed guards who each stand next to it in 12 hour shifts, just far enough away that they aren't obstructing Steve's staring at it. But then, it might not even be the most expensive one he owns?

And this is why our payroll is monopoly money.
I think Cohen spent close to $300M on one piece of art. But yes, if he spends hundreds of millions on individual pieces of art, then buying $30M ballplayers is to Cohen, like I said more than plenty already, like buying a bag of potato chips.
Last edited by batmagadanleadoff on Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Boy Named Seo

Post by A Boy Named Seo » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:06 pm

IMPORTANT CARLOS CORREA UPDATE:

A couple hours ago, he posted a picture of him holding his kid with the caption "Going to work with daddy today" and his kid was wearing an adorable t-shirt that read "I HEART NY" but the I was a hot dog and the heart was a pretzel.

Beat that hot scoop, Jon Heyman.
great googly moogly!
batmagadanleadoff

Post by batmagadanleadoff » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:19 pm

nymr83 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:00 pm But then, it might not even be the most expensive one he owns?

Cohen also owns, among other things (obviously), the Mookie Wilson/Bill Buckner baseball. I think he paid $400K for the ball. High end sports memorabilia has skyrocketed in value over the last 10 years. I'd bet that ball's now worth over $2M. It's so easy to make money when you have so much money to begin with. They have access to so many opportunities.
Fman99

Post by Fman99 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:25 pm

A Boy Named Seo wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:06 pm IMPORTANT CARLOS CORREA UPDATE:

A couple hours ago, he posted a picture of him holding his kid with the caption "Going to work with daddy today" and his kid was wearing an adorable t-shirt that read "I HEART NY" but the I was a hot dog and the heart was a pretzel.

Beat that hot scoop, Jon Heyman.
This is actual news. Or so I am telling myself.