Magical Urine: Television in 2024

metirish

Re: Magical Urine: Television in 2024

Post by metirish » Wed May 08, 2024 7:10 pm

Disney and MAX are teaming up to offer a bundle ,this is happening, details to come in the next few months, no idea what this means for current subs to both ,if anything
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Wed May 08, 2024 7:59 pm

metirish wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:10 pm Disney and MAX are teaming up to offer a bundle ,this is happening, details to come in the next few months, no idea what this means for current subs to both ,if anything
I heard a report that Disney reported much lower than expected earnings from Disney +.
This may be a move to shore up the bottom line.
Later
"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness". William Lonsdale Watkinson
I have never insulted anyone. I simply describe them, accurately.
"They fear love because it creates a world they can't control" - George Orwell
TransMonk

Post by TransMonk » Thu May 09, 2024 9:23 am

Anyone not named Netflix is struggling with streaming right now. Paramount is likely to be sold soon and the word is that the new buyers will sell off Paramount+ to another streamer.

It seems like the streaming industry is heading toward large expensive bundles charging for platforms that not everybody wants or needs...kinda like cable.
i am a patient boy...i wait, i wait, i wait, i wait
Benjamin Grimm

Post by Benjamin Grimm » Thu May 09, 2024 9:49 am

There are just too many paid streaming services. Netflix. Hulu. Peacock. Paramount. Apple. Disney. Max. And probably others that I'm not thinking of.

I know that a lot of people are streaming-surfing. (I just made up that term, I think.) Subscribe to Hulu for a month, and binge a lot of shows. Switch to Netflix and do the same. Then Peacock. I can definitely understand doing this. It makes sense for there to be some consolidation in the market.
metirish

Post by metirish » Thu May 09, 2024 1:15 pm

Sony/Apollo group are looking into buying Paramount and all that entails (CBS,Paramount Plus and the studio etc ) this one has legs
whippoorwill

Post by whippoorwill » Fri May 10, 2024 1:38 pm

Benjamin Grimm wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:49 am There are just too many paid streaming services. Netflix. Hulu. Peacock. Paramount. Apple. Disney. Max. And probably others that I'm not thinking of.

I know that a lot of people are streaming-surfing. (I just made up that term, I think.) Subscribe to Hulu for a month, and binge a lot of shows. Switch to Netflix and do the same. Then Peacock. I can definitely understand doing this. It makes sense for there to be some consolidation in the market.
Does Amazon prime count?
We have that and BBC and hardy ever watch anything else
Benjamin Grimm

Post by Benjamin Grimm » Fri May 10, 2024 1:44 pm

Yes, that one too!
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Fri May 10, 2024 1:50 pm

The idea of getting a service to get one particular show, then cancelling after you've seen all the episodes sounds intriguing to me. I'm thinking of doing that to Paramount + to see a ten episode series when it is released in 2025.
Of course, by that time they'll probably have changed the rules to make that more difficult.

Later
"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness". William Lonsdale Watkinson
Benjamin Grimm

Post by Benjamin Grimm » Fri May 10, 2024 1:53 pm

My guess is that they'll give you a lower rate if you commit to twelve months, or something like that, to discourage jumping from service to service. But each household can determine based on their own viewing habits whether or not it makes sense to sign on longer term. I'm sure they'll always welcome you back if you return six months after you've canceled.
metsmarathon

Post by metsmarathon » Fri May 10, 2024 3:52 pm

it seems as if someone should come up with an ingenious bundling of services where they all come streaming in to your TV, all on the same wire, for a lower price than getting them a la carte...
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Fri May 10, 2024 5:13 pm

I blame Judge Green.
He was a bell buster.
Later