New Answer/Ask thread

Johnny Lunchbucket

Re: New Answer/Ask thread

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Thu Aug 15, 2024 8:47 am

Unless you count cut your own xmas trees, I don't think so.

When was the last time you went to the library?
whippoorwill

Post by whippoorwill » Thu Aug 15, 2024 9:14 am

I go to the library quite often. Last time was last week.
Along with my Jo Nesbo books I got a big Ken Burns photo book called Our America.

What’s the most recent Big News from your hometown?
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Thu Aug 15, 2024 10:20 am

I check for news from my hometown regularly since a chapter of the Proud Boys marched without permits through the streets two years ago. The mayor, amazingly, said he had no idea who they were.

The most recent big news is that the new Catholic archbishop of Boston is supposedly from our hometown. I think that's being incorrectly reported. Some of his family is from there, but I think he grew up one town over.

Who is that one neighbor in particular who creeps you out? Why?
A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Thu Aug 15, 2024 3:03 pm

Next door. Gigantic young Croatian guy who rides a big electric bike and smokes out front, has a beautiful wife but no idea what she sees. They are moving out soon.

Do you like, know what you're doing at work?
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Thu Aug 15, 2024 4:11 pm

Croatians rate pretty far up there on the national average giganticness ratings.
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Tue Aug 27, 2024 12:01 pm

Anybody want to take the work question?

I'm freelancing and I totally am making things up as I go along, but I'm thinking that's not what he's looking for.
cal sharpie

Post by cal sharpie » Tue Aug 27, 2024 12:20 pm

I'd better know what I'm doing. I've been here for, gulp, 35 years and have a big staff reporting to me.

Is there somewhere you've traveled to that disappointed you?
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Tue Aug 27, 2024 12:35 pm

cal sharpie wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 12:20 pm Is there somewhere you've traveled to that disappointed you?
When I was about 10 years old, my family trip was to Toronto. I was very excited to be in another country. But when we got there, the city was put on Measles quarantine. We had to stay in the hotel for an entire week and I never got to see the city.

What was the last museum you visited?

Later
"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness". William Lonsdale Watkinson
I have never insulted anyone. I simply describe them, accurately.
"I love this shit" - Jesse Winker
Benjamin Grimm

Post by Benjamin Grimm » Tue Aug 27, 2024 12:51 pm

The San Diego Air and Space Museum a couple of months ago.

What's the BEST museum you've visited?
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Tue Aug 27, 2024 1:23 pm

Don't want to monopolize the thread, but you and I think alike, Ben.
My favorite is the US Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton, Ohio.
Two of the companies I've worked for were headquartered in Dayton, and I've spent many weekends there.

It has one of every plane ever flown by the USAF, plus every plane that served as Air Force One plus Missiles and space age vehicles (capsules) and the test planes , from X-1 to X-15.
My favorite exhibits were famous fighter planes exhibited next to the enemies they fought, the F86 next to a MiG, etc.
And I found out that if you're my size, you could barely fit into the cockpit of an F-16.

How many TV sets do you have?

Later
"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness". William Lonsdale Watkinson
metirish

Post by metirish » Tue Aug 27, 2024 2:34 pm

Two TV ,living room and bedroom ( which I never use )

Do you care about the Oasis reunion?
cal sharpie

Post by cal sharpie » Tue Aug 27, 2024 2:39 pm

No. Bands shouldn't get together again once they've broken up. The reunited band is never as good.

What's the next thing that you own that you hope to get fixed (or replaced)?
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Tue Aug 27, 2024 3:46 pm

Windows. They're so expensive tho.

who's the first guy you think of when I say "Toronto Blue Jays"?
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Tue Aug 27, 2024 3:50 pm

Johnny Lunchbucket wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 3:46 pm Windows. They're so expensive tho.

who's the first guy you think of when I say "Toronto Blue Jays"?
My friend, Greg, who lives in Toronto and is a big Blue Jays fan.

Did you ever smoke cigarettes? (the tobacco kind)

Later
Frayed Knot

Post by Frayed Knot » Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:04 pm

MFS62 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 3:50 pm Did you ever smoke cigarettes? (the tobacco kind)
No.

Which reminds me that I saw some updated statistics on smoking in this country just this past weekend. Smoking is down to an all-time low of 11% of U.S. adults and even better that it's down to around 6% of those under 30 which is traditionally a higher demographic for puffers. Of course a percentage of the under 30 crowd is into e-cigarettes and vaping (are they the same?). The earliest surveys on this topic started in the late '40s and into the '50s when percentages routinely topped 40 and 50%.
And while this is all good news, the fact that one in nine American adults still smoke confounds me. From the time I was a kid I was sure the drop-off was going to be much steeper.

How old is your car(s)?
Posting Covid-19 free since March of 2020
Benjamin Grimm

Post by Benjamin Grimm » Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:31 pm

Five years. It replaced a car that I had had for sixteen years, which replaced a car that I had had for thirteen years.

When you were born, how many living ancestors did you have?
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:57 pm

Benjamin Grimm wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:31 pm Five years. It replaced a car that I had had for sixteen years, which replaced a car that I had had for thirteen years.

When you were born, how many living ancestors did you have?
I had grandparents on my dad's side, but none on my mother's side. But we had dozens of cousins, aunts and uncles. They used to meet monthly in NYC for gossip and cards.

Back to the car theme, can you drive a stick shift car?

Later
The Hot Corner

Post by The Hot Corner » Tue Aug 27, 2024 8:15 pm

Yes. My 1st car was a 1968 Mustang Convertible with 3 speed on the floor, that I bought for $1,000 from a family friend the summer before my junior year of high school. All of my cars were stick shift for my first 38 years as a driver. My last 2 cars have been automatic transmissions. So much easier (and more comfortable) in stop and go traffic.

What was your first car?
When did the choices get so hard
With so much more at stake
Life gets mighty precious
When there's less of it to waste
Frayed Knot

Post by Frayed Knot » Tue Aug 27, 2024 8:21 pm

MFS62 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:57 pm Back to the car theme, can you drive a stick shift car?
Most of the cars I've owned (though not currently) have been manual transmissions. Car companies, and American companies in particular, are making fewer and fewer of them these days. The smaller cars in a brand's line are either having the manual option removed or the cars themselves are disappearing as buyers are both rushing towards, and/or being pushed towards, larger SUV options.
Buuuuut, I'm scouting out models where a recent vintage used purchase will get me back on the stick (shift).

-- cross posted, I'll withdraw my question.
Posting Covid-19 free since March of 2020
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Tue Aug 27, 2024 8:30 pm

The Hot Corner wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 8:15 pm Yes. My 1st car was a 1968 Mustang Convertible with 3 speed on the floor, that I bought for $1,000 from a family friend the summer before my junior year of high school. All of my cars were stick shift for my first 38 years as a driver. My last 2 cars have been automatic transmissions. So much easier (and more comfortable) in stop and go traffic.

What was your first car?
Bought a 78(?) Civic from a guy I met on tge frisbee golf course for $150. Had a manual choke you needed to use all the time, died in the summer of 88 in frint of my girlfriend's father's place. Made me look good 👍

Where would you say consistently sells the best bananas?
batmagadanleadoff

Post by batmagadanleadoff » Tue Aug 27, 2024 8:44 pm

Johnny Lunchbucket wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 8:30 pm
The Hot Corner wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 8:15 pm Yes. My 1st car was a 1968 Mustang Convertible with 3 speed on the floor, that I bought for $1,000 from a family friend the summer before my junior year of high school. All of my cars were stick shift for my first 38 years as a driver. My last 2 cars have been automatic transmissions. So much easier (and more comfortable) in stop and go traffic.

What was your first car?
Bought a 78(?) Civic from a guy I met on tge frisbee golf course for $150. Had a manual choke you needed to use all the time, died in the summer of 88 in frint of my girlfriend's father's place. Made me look good 👍

Where would you say consistently sells the best bananas?
I don't like bananas. (Fail?) But I like banana flavored foods like banana muffins or banana yogurt or banana flavored ice cream. Must be a texture thing. I don't like the mushiness of bananas. But from time to time, I buy bananas for my mom, who I think, eats at least one banana a day. Stop and Shop supermarket has the best selection, in my opinion. They have a long rack/tray selection of bananas, that's about 20 or 30 feet wide, maybe even wider. The bananas are arranged, left to right by ripeness, the more ripe or very yellow bananas all the way on the left, to the most greenish and hard bananas all the way on the right. A level of ripeness for all preferences. I've seen other local groceries with good selections, but not consistently reliable enough, and not always as complete and wide-ranging as Stop and Shop's.

Are you planning a car-trip vacation where the destination is no more than a seven, eight hours drive away? I'm thinking of Portland, Maine for good eats with a stop on the way back in Boston to maybe catch a game at Fenway.
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Wed Aug 28, 2024 8:47 am

batmagadanleadoff wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 8:44 pm Are you planning a car-trip vacation where the destination is no more than a seven, eight hours drive away? I'm thinking of Portland, Maine for good eats with a stop on the way back in Boston to maybe catch a game at Fenway.
The format of this thread is to ask the question and allow others to answer it. Additional discussion is in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33656

I'm not planning any trips .

What is your favorite disaster movie?

Later
Last edited by MFS62 on Wed Aug 28, 2024 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
batmagadanleadoff

Post by batmagadanleadoff » Wed Aug 28, 2024 8:48 am

MFS62 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 8:47 am
batmagadanleadoff wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 8:44 pm Are you planning a car-trip vacation where the destination is no more than a seven, eight hours drive away? I'm thinking of Portland, Maine for good eats with a stop on the way back in Boston to maybe catch a game at Fenway.
The format of this thread is to ask the question and allow others to answer it. Additional discussion is in this thread:

What is your favorite disaster movie?

Later
No. The format of this thread is to answer the most recently asked question before you submit your own question.

By your logic, I should've skipped JCL's banana question if it turns out that he already has a favorite place to buy bananas?

If you're not planning any trips, you shouldn't even be answering this question.
batmagadanleadoff

Post by batmagadanleadoff » Wed Aug 28, 2024 8:59 am

batmagadanleadoff wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 8:48 am

If you're not planning any trips, you shouldn't even be answering this question.
I see that you've back-edited your post after the fact to make it look as if you answered the question all along, even though, initially, you didn't answer my question. You simply posted an asinine nitpick.

Bad editing form. Sneaky editing form. Disingenuous editing form.

Fail.

If you're caught in some screw-up or mistake, you're not supposed to edit your original post to make it look as if you never made the mistake of faux pas or fuck-up in the first place.

Coincidentally, I quoted your original post to prove my point.
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Wed Aug 28, 2024 10:00 am

I exited my post to find the link to the other thread. By the time I got back to it you had already responded. It took less than one minute.
You still asked the question about car trips and then answered it yourself.
And that is not how this thread is supposed to work.
You should let someone else answer your question. You already know the answer to your own question, don't you? The idea is to see how others answer it.
Read the other posts and maybe you'll understand.
If you want to answer your own question, put it in that other thread.
Later