Guess that Met

Cowtipper

Re: Guess that Met

Post by Cowtipper » Sun Aug 25, 2024 9:08 am

Jones and Segui are correct!

Answering the unanswered:

Who am I?

Pete Smith

From the back of an old baseball card: "This pitcher became a regular starter for the Mets in '94 after being traded by the Braves for Dave Gallagher. A big righthander who was 7-0 in '92, he has fine control and relies chiefly on a tremendous curveball and a hard-breaking slider." Who am I?

Pete Smith (again)

From the back of an old baseball card: "A superb combination of speed and power, this player is one of the Mets' bright young hopes for the future. He has outstanding bat speed as a classic pull hitter and great makeup. 'He gets dirty, gets after it,' said an observer, 'He doesn't leave anything on the field. And he doesn't take himself too seriously.'" Who am I? This is vague, but the player in question is from the era of the majority of the recent answers. He also might have been a recent answer to one of the baseball card image questions.

Jeromy Burnitz

Running tally of correct guessers:

Johnny Lunchbucket: 118
Edgy MD: 87
stevejrogers: 72
batmagadanleadoff: 34
DocTee: 10
metsmarathon: 9
Benjamin Grimm: 6
The Hot Corner: 6
MFS62: 4
Marshmallowmilkshake: 1
Methead: 1
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Sun Aug 25, 2024 11:11 am

New questions:

1. From the back of an old baseball card:

"This player swung his bat with more authority in '94. That meant more strikeouts, but it also translated into a huge leap in run production. He hit a career-high 16 home runs in 291 at-bats and raised his slugging average 86 points to .443."

Who am I?

2. From the back of an old baseball card:

"This player gave the Mets a dandy fielding shortstop who batted over .300 the first month of the '94 season after being traded to them by the Cubs for Anthony Young and Otis Smith. He has outstanding range to his right and a strong arm."

Who am I?

3. From the back of an old baseball card:

"The Mets and Royals exchanged leftfielders in 1994, with this player trading places with Vince Coleman in a deal that helped both teams. An outstanding fielder with a strong arm, this player returned to the Mets after two years away."

Who am I?

4. Image

Who am I?

5. Image

Who am I?

The Hot Corner: 6
The Hot Corner

Post by The Hot Corner » Sun Aug 25, 2024 3:06 pm

#3 - Kevin McReynolds
When did the choices get so hard
With so much more at stake
Life gets mighty precious
When there's less of it to waste
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Mon Aug 26, 2024 10:08 am

McReynolds is correct! A new question has been added, with hints for the rest:

New questions:

"This player swung his bat with more authority in '94. That meant more strikeouts, but it also translated into a huge leap in run production. He hit a career-high 16 home runs in 291 at-bats and raised his slugging average 86 points to .443."

Who am I?

Hint: A catcher who once hit 41 home runs for the Mets. Was twice an All-Star in NY. Traded by the New York Mets with Arnie Gooch (minors) to the Los Angeles Dodgers for Roger Cedeño and Charles Johnson.
Hint: His father, Randy, played in the major leagues.

"This player gave the Mets a dandy fielding shortstop who batted over .300 the first month of the '94 season after being traded to them by the Cubs for Anthony Young and Otis Smith. He has outstanding range to his right and a strong arm."

Who am I?

Hint: Played for NY from 1994 to partway through 1996. Traded by the Chicago Cubs to the New York Mets for Ottis Smith (minors) and Anthony Young. Traded by the New York Mets with Jeff Kent to the Cleveland Indians for Carlos Baerga and Álvaro Espinoza. Spent 18 years in the big leagues, playing from 1989 to 2006.
Hint: Played for the Yankees in the 2000 World Series.

Who am I?

Hint: Nicknamed Buffalo, played for the Mets in 2019 and 2020. Hit .288 with 14 home runs in 2019. Spent most of his career with the Nationals.
Hint: Last played in the MLB in 2021.

Who am I?

Hint: Had a 3.94 ERA in 49 games in his only season with NY, 1989. Reliever spent 13 years in the majors, playing from 1977 to 1990. Gave up important home run in 1989.
Hint: Spent the plurality of his career with Angels.

Who am I?

Hint: Pitched for the Mets from 2015 to 2020, making 30 starts twice and winning as many as 11 games. Had a 3.68 ERA in 3 2015 postseason starts. Later traded to the Blue Jays for Yennsy Díaz, Sean Reid-Foley and Josh Winckowski.

The Hot Corner: 7
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Tue Aug 27, 2024 10:51 am

New day, new hints added above.
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Tue Aug 27, 2024 11:42 am

5. doesn't really look like Matz but Matz
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Tue Aug 27, 2024 11:44 am

4. Don Aase
3. Wilson Ramos
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Tue Aug 27, 2024 12:47 pm

Aase, Matz and Ramos are correct! Ramos is astoundingly largely forgotten and was even an afterthought in 2019, despite his year being really quite solid. That whole 2017-2020/2021 era seems like an afterthought.

Anyway, a few new ones have been added.

Who am I?

Hint: A catcher who once hit 41 home runs for the Mets. Was twice an All-Star in NY. Traded by the New York Mets with Arnie Gooch (minors) to the Los Angeles Dodgers for Roger Cedeño and Charles Johnson.
Hint: His father, Randy, played in the major leagues.

Who am I?

Hint: Played for NY from 1994 to partway through 1996. Traded by the Chicago Cubs to the New York Mets for Ottis Smith (minors) and Anthony Young. Traded by the New York Mets with Jeff Kent to the Cleveland Indians for Carlos Baerga and Álvaro Espinoza. Spent 18 years in the big leagues, playing from 1989 to 2006.

Who am I?

Who am I?

Who am I?

Johnny Lunchbucket: 121
Batty31

Post by Batty31 » Tue Aug 27, 2024 12:52 pm

I’m trying to keep track of this thread. It’s the first time I’m playing. I’m getting confused. Lol

#1 Todd Hundley???

And I see a picture of Fonzie, but I’m getting confused with all the different numbers 🤣
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Tue Aug 27, 2024 1:14 pm

Welcome aboard! Ignore the numbers on the cards, they were a reference for when I used those images elsewhere. The post that matters most, if you're looking for questions to answer, is the most recent one. Every other one from the beginning to that one is old. Unanswered questions are carried over for about a week, then I spill the beans and answer them if they haven't yet been answered.

Hundley and Edgardo Alfonzo are correct, by the way!

Who am I?

Who am I?

Who am I?

Who am I?

Who am I?

Johnny Lunchbucket: 121
Batty31: 2
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Tue Aug 27, 2024 1:18 pm

Vizcaino
Agbayani
Hamilton
Seaver
Mahomes
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Tue Aug 27, 2024 3:11 pm

A clean sweep! All correct, well done. I don't think we've had a clean sweep in a while, if at all. I'll post some more questions later.

Johnny Lunchbucket: 126
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Thu Aug 29, 2024 12:56 pm

New questions:

1. From the back of a baseball card: "With two 30-start seasons at his back and armed with an improved curveball, this pitcher broke 2020 Summer Camp as the Mets No. 2 starter. He's treasured in New York for his numerous charitable efforts." Who am I?

2. From the back of a baseball card: "A productive player with a balance of patience and power, this player excels in the clutch as evidenced by his .341 average with runners in scoring position. The glue of the Mets' infield, he combines with Rey Ordonez to create a deadly double-play tandem." Who am I?

3. From the back of a baseball card: "This player's .995 fldg. pct. is an all-time career OF record." Who am I? He was later murdered.

4. From the back of a baseball card: "Imagine being undefeated for four years! This pitcher knows the feeling, going 12-0 from June 9, 1996 to May 24, 2000. He went 2-0 ('96), and 1-0 ('97) for Boston, then 8-0 with the Mets in '99. This pitcher extended his streak to 12 last April 16, but it ended on May 24 when his buddy, San Diego's Bret Boone, beat him with a homer." Who am I?

5. I discovered this while researching something else. Who was the first Panama-born player in Mets history? He was the first Panama-native until ... who? And who are the other few guys from that nation to don a Mets uniform?

The Hot Corner

Post by The Hot Corner » Fri Aug 30, 2024 8:55 pm

#2 - Edgardo Alfonzo
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Sun Sep 01, 2024 11:25 am

Alfonzo is correct!

Answering the unanswered:

From the back of a baseball card: "With two 30-start seasons at his back and armed with an improved curveball, this pitcher broke 2020 Summer Camp as the Mets No. 2 starter. He's treasured in New York for his numerous charitable efforts." Who am I?

Steven Matz

From the back of a baseball card: "This player's .995 fldg. pct. is an all-time career OF record." Who am I? He was later murdered.

Darryl Hamilton

From the back of a baseball card: "Imagine being undefeated for four years! This pitcher knows the feeling, going 12-0 from June 9, 1996 to May 24, 2000. He went 2-0 ('96), and 1-0 ('97) for Boston, then 8-0 with the Mets in '99. This pitcher extended his streak to 12 last April 16, but it ended on May 24 when his buddy, San Diego's Bret Boone, beat him with a homer." Who am I?

Pat Mahomes

I discovered this while researching something else. Who was the first Panama-born player in Mets history? He was the first Panama-native until ... who? And who are the other few guys from that nation to don a Mets uniform?

Juan Berenguer was the first. The next was Bruce Chen. And the others were Ruben Tejada, Manny Acosta, Ariel Jurado and Jonathan Arauz.

The Hot Corner: 8
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Sun Sep 01, 2024 12:41 pm

New questions:

1. I spent my career in relief
coming out of the 'pen
Working alongside Leach
and many other good men

Now I'm quite sad to say
I'm no longer alive
But way back in the day
My mark was 3.05

Who am I?

2. Who am I?

3. From the back of a baseball card: "Quietly, with no emotion, this player gave the Mets solid protection in left field in '90. One of the better defensive outfielders in the league, he covers his area well and has a strong, accurate arm. In '88, this player led all NL outfielders with 18 assists. An aggressive pull hitter, he smashed over 20 home runs for the fifth straight season in '90. Two of them won both ends of a doubleheader when this player hit an 11th inning three-run homer to beat the Astros 7-4 and then hit an eighth inning homer to win 7-6. The year before, he had 18 game-winning RBIs and eight hits in 17 at-bats with the bases loaded. This player also is a superb base runner." Who am I?

4. Who am I?

I had a T-Shirt night in the 2010s and was traded away the night of the T-Shirt giveaway.

--originally posted by "jjpm74"

Who am I?

The Hot Corner: 8
The Hot Corner

Post by The Hot Corner » Sun Sep 01, 2024 1:38 pm

#3 - Kevin McReynolds
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Sun Sep 01, 2024 2:55 pm

2. The name's McDowell not McDonald's
DocTee

Post by DocTee » Sun Sep 01, 2024 3:04 pm

5. Kevin Elster
stevejrogers

Post by stevejrogers » Sun Sep 01, 2024 10:46 pm

1) Jeff Innis

5) Tim Teufel

4) I’m guessing 7/12/2011, KRod
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Mon Sep 02, 2024 11:42 am

McReynolds, McDowell, Innis and Teufel are correct. K-Rod is incorrect, though you got the general era correct. The correct answer wasn't traded to the Marlins, and for the majority of his career people were like, "this former top prospect is for the birds!"

1. I had a T-Shirt night in the 2010s and was traded away the night of the T-Shirt giveaway.

Hint: Traded by the New York Mets with John Buck and cash to the Pittsburgh Pirates for a player to be named later and Dilson Herrera. The Pittsburgh Pirates sent Vic Black (August 29, 2013) to the New York Mets to complete the trade.

2. Who am I?

3. I debuted with the Mets in '80
And stuck around for nearly 10 years
I last played for the M's in '93
Likely hearing more boos than cheers
Despite my long stay in the league
And this I think is really quite lame
I had the qualifications for it but
Didn't make the ballot for the Hall of Fame

Who am I?

4. From the back of a baseball card: "Only the Mets, who have the deepest starting staff in baseball, would have the luxury of using a pitcher of this player's caliber as both a starter and a reliever. That's what happened in 1990 as the team tried to give enough work to six first-rate starters. This player began the season in the bullpen, became the fifth starter for awhile, then went back to the bullpen. A ground-ball pitcher and a fierce competitor, this player is an off-speed southpaw who works the corners with a variety of changeups (one breaks like a screwball) and a sneaky fastball." Who am I?

5. Who am I?

Johnny Lunchbucket: 127
stevejrogers: 74
The Hot Corner: 9
stevejrogers

Post by stevejrogers » Mon Sep 02, 2024 1:30 pm

5 Alejandro Pena

2 Bob Myrick?

1 Xavier Nady?

4 Ojeda

3 Backman!?
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Mon Sep 02, 2024 4:45 pm

Pena is correct! Ojeda is correct! Backman is correct!

#2 isn't Myrick, the correct answer was with New York a couple years before Myrick was. The correct answer pitched just eight games with NY. Nady is a great guess, as he was in fact traded to the Pirates, however he is incorrect. I basically gave the answer away in the first couple sentences a couple posts ago.

New questions have been added.

McReynolds, McDowell, Innis and Teufel are correct. K-Rod is incorrect, though you got the general era correct. The correct answer wasn't traded to the Marlins, and for the majority of his career people were like, "this former top prospect is for the birds!"

1. I had a T-Shirt night in the 2010s and was traded away the night of the T-Shirt giveaway.

Hint: Traded by the New York Mets with John Buck and cash to the Pittsburgh Pirates for a player to be named later and Dilson Herrera. The Pittsburgh Pirates sent Vic Black (August 29, 2013) to the New York Mets to complete the trade.

2. Who am I?

3. The Mets have had winning records in three decades. Name those decades.

4. Who am I?

5. From the back of a baseball card: "This player went from a back-up catcher who only faced righthanders to the No. 1 catcher for the Mets in '90. He got his chance when Barry Lyons hurt his back in mid-May and seized the moment. By mid-season, this player had a .336 BA. A free swinger with quick hands, he generally makes contact. 'I think he's a lot like Yogi Berra,' said manager Bud Harrelson. 'He never met a pitch he didn't like.' Along with the surge in this player's hitting, was an all-round improvement in his play behind the plate. Strong-armed, with a quicker release than previously, he threw out eight of 17 would-be base stealers at one point. To cap his defensive resurgence, this player became the first Met catcher to throw out Vince Coleman in 58 tries." Who am I?

Johnny Lunchbucket: 127
stevejrogers: 77
The Hot Corner: 9