In Vaccine Thread 2021

whippoorwill

Re: In Vaccine Thread 2021

Post by whippoorwill » Tue May 11, 2021 6:01 pm

My five year old grandson said that very thing the other day.
I think he’s afraid I won’t let him come swimming otherwise. :)

As if.
Fman99

Post by Fman99 » Thu May 13, 2021 7:39 am

Appointments for kids 12-15 now available in New York state. Fgirl gets shot #1 tomorrow morning.
kcmets

Post by kcmets » Thu May 13, 2021 1:40 pm

Officially at the two-week mark and still have ten fingers and toes. Gonna go out
later and lick everything and everybody in the neighborhood.
#lgm #ygb #ymdyf
G-Fafif

Post by G-Fafif » Thu May 13, 2021 2:51 pm

Hope for the best. Expect the Mets.
G-Fafif

Post by G-Fafif » Thu May 13, 2021 3:00 pm

The new advice comes with caveats. Even vaccinated individuals must cover their faces and physically distance when going to doctors, hospitals or long-term care facilities like nursing homes; when traveling by bus, plane, train or other modes of public transportation, or while in transportation hubs like airports and bus stations; and when in prisons, jails or homeless shelters.

In deference to local authorities, the C.D.C. said vaccinated Americans must continue to abide by existing state, local, or tribal laws and regulations, and follow local rules for businesses and workplaces. Individuals are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after the one-dose Johnson & Johnson shot or the second dose of either Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccine series.

Still, the changes are likely to galvanize Americans who have become unaccustomed to appearing in public unmasked — or to seeing others do so.

“We’ve got to liberalize the restrictions so people can feel like they’re getting back to some normalcy,” Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, the Biden administration’s senior adviser on the pandemic, said in an interview. “Pulling back restrictions on indoor masks is an important step in the right direction.”

“You can’t inhibit people from doing the things they want to do, which is one of the reasons they wanted to get vaccinated in the first place, because other people are not getting vaccinated,” he added.

The move could raise alarms among more cautious Americans, who may be more reluctant to engage in public activities when more people are unmasked. There is no way to know who is vaccinated and who is not, and the majority of the population is not yet fully vaccinated.

“For those who are more risk averse, you have a choice of continuing to wear it if you want to,” Dr. Fauci said.

In justifying the move, agency officials pointed to several recent studies showing that vaccines are more than 90 percent effective at preventing mild and severe disease, hospitalizations and deaths from Covid-19 in real world settings.

Among them was a study of 6,710 health care workers in Israel, including 5,517 fully vaccinated workers, that found the Pfizer vaccine was 97 percent effective at preventing symptomatic infections among the fully vaccinated, and 86 percent effective at preventing asymptomatic infections among them. (Vaccination rates in Israel are far higher than in the United States, however.)

The C.D.C also emphasized that vaccines in use have also proven effective against variants of the coronavirus that are circulating in the United States.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/13/heal ... dance.html
Ceetar

Post by Ceetar » Thu May 13, 2021 3:11 pm

such bullshit, but #capitalism. I imagine stores/restaurants will now start to relax mask rules, especially coming in the summer, which means if you've got young kids, you have no idea if that server speaking the specials directly over child is spewing Covid or not.
Please listen to my podcast? You Did What Now?

Please listen to our podcast? Mets On Tap

www.ceetar.com/optimisticmetsfan

Barley Prose
G-Fafif

Post by G-Fafif » Thu May 13, 2021 3:15 pm

Note sporting events.
Centerfield

Post by Centerfield » Thu May 13, 2021 3:20 pm

Did the CDC give any guidance on how to cover this double chin without a mask?
Methead

Post by Methead » Thu May 13, 2021 7:51 pm

Fman99 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:39 am Appointments for kids 12-15 now available in New York state. Fgirl gets shot #1 tomorrow morning.
My boy just got shot #1. It's the most grown-up thing he's done all year, aside from shotgunning that beer last July.
Ceetar

Post by Ceetar » Thu May 13, 2021 7:52 pm

Methead wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:51 pm
Fman99 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:39 am Appointments for kids 12-15 now available in New York state. Fgirl gets shot #1 tomorrow morning.
My boy just got shot #1. It's the most grown-up thing he's done all year, aside from shotgunning that beer last July.

hmm...podcast guest?

Barley Prose
Fman99

Post by Fman99 » Thu May 13, 2021 8:34 pm

G-Fafif wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:00 pm
The new advice comes with caveats. Even vaccinated individuals must cover their faces and physically distance when going to doctors, hospitals or long-term care facilities like nursing homes; when traveling by bus, plane, train or other modes of public transportation, or while in transportation hubs like airports and bus stations; and when in prisons, jails or homeless shelters.

In deference to local authorities, the C.D.C. said vaccinated Americans must continue to abide by existing state, local, or tribal laws and regulations, and follow local rules for businesses and workplaces. Individuals are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after the one-dose Johnson & Johnson shot or the second dose of either Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccine series.

The C.D.C also emphasized that vaccines in use have also proven effective against variants of the coronavirus that are circulating in the United States.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/13/heal ... dance.html
As a member of the original tribe, I shall continue to follow all of the tribal laws #kosher
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Thu May 13, 2021 9:00 pm

That guidance sort of throws state and local authorities to the wolves, doesn't it? If you want to enforce stricter regs in your jurisdiction, what teeth will it have if the CDC isn't backing you up?
A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Fri May 14, 2021 10:01 am

Not having to wear a mask for vaccinated people indoors won't start in Connecticut until next week (the 19th).
Later
"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness". William Lonsdale Watkinson
I have never insulted anyone. I simply describe them, accurately.
"They fear love because it creates a world they can't control" - George Orwell
Willets Point

Post by Willets Point » Fri May 14, 2021 10:33 am

Edgy MD wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:00 pm That guidance sort of throws state and local authorities to the wolves, doesn't it? If you want to enforce stricter regs in your jurisdiction, what teeth will it have if the CDC isn't backing you up?
This is going to be really shitty for front-line employees in retail, restaurants, libraries, et al who are going to be on the receiving end of tsunami of abuse. Not to mention that they will be at greater risk of being exposed to the virus since the inequitable rollout of the vaccine has still made it a challenge for low-wage workers to get the jab.
Willets Point

Post by Willets Point » Fri May 14, 2021 10:41 am

The timing of this CDC announcement is bad. Remember that vaccines were only available to the general public 16+ on April 19. There's a 3-week gap between Pfizer shots and 4 weeks for Moderna. Then you're supposed to wait another 2 weeks to be fully vaccinated. So it's a 5-6 week process. Assuming someone was able to navigate the labyrinthine registration process, the earliest the average American will be fully vaccinated is May 31. And of course, most people didn't get started on Day #1. And kids 12-16 just started this week. And under-12s are not vaccinated at all. They really should've held off on this until mid-June at the earliest. But hey, I guess "bipartisanship" is important even if it means having a 6th wave this summer.
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Fri May 14, 2021 10:59 am

Willets Point wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:33 am
Edgy MD wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:00 pm That guidance sort of throws state and local authorities to the wolves, doesn't it? If you want to enforce stricter regs in your jurisdiction, what teeth will it have if the CDC isn't backing you up?
This is going to be really shitty for front-line employees in retail, restaurants, libraries, et al who are going to be on the receiving end of tsunami of abuse. Not to mention that they will be at greater risk of being exposed to the virus since the inequitable rollout of the vaccine has still made it a challenge for low-wage workers to get the jab.
Yeah, that sort of the scenario I'm thinking of.
A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Fri May 14, 2021 1:12 pm

Retail has been abused all year even before this seemingly foolish announcement.

They basically had zero authority to enforce their own policies until now, and now have even less.

We just got Lunchpail his first jab by the way. But until things really change I'm not doing any crowded events indoor or places w/o a mask
kcmets

Post by kcmets » Fri May 14, 2021 1:21 pm

Johnny Lunchbucket wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:12 pmBut until things really change I'm not doing any crowded events indoor or places w/o a mask
And Bingo was his name-o.

Staying with what's kept me here.
#lgm #ygb #ymdyf
Ceetar

Post by Ceetar » Fri May 14, 2021 1:22 pm

Willets Point wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:41 am The timing of this CDC announcement is bad. Remember that vaccines were only available to the general public 16+ on April 19. There's a 3-week gap between Pfizer shots and 4 weeks for Moderna. Then you're supposed to wait another 2 weeks to be fully vaccinated. So it's a 5-6 week process. Assuming someone was able to navigate the labyrinthine registration process, the earliest the average American will be fully vaccinated is May 31. And of course, most people didn't get started on Day #1. And kids 12-16 just started this week. And under-12s are not vaccinated at all. They really should've held off on this until mid-June at the earliest. But hey, I guess "bipartisanship" is important even if it means having a 6th wave this summer.

well clearly 10 year olds need to contribute more to the economy if they want to be considered in public safety guidelines. #capitalism.

Like literally every guideline and protocol America has issued on this, even just another 2 weeks would do wonders. Instead we rush every milestone and let lingering cases stick around and spread, rather than another 2 weeks where you might kill off another bunch of vectors. In my county (which obviously Covid is unaware of borders) it's probably the difference of a dinner out this summer having 300ish active Covid cases and like 30.

It makes the math of taking an unvaccinated child into a restaurant with an unmasked server much friendlier. Or outdoors for that matter, where a server comes up to your table and stands there for a minute, breathing on you. I don't know if I was doing the first at all regardless, but now I'm nervous about the second too.

Barley Prose
Willets Point

Post by Willets Point » Fri May 14, 2021 1:40 pm

Ceetar wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:22 pm
well clearly 10 year olds need to contribute more to the economy if they want to be considered in public safety guidelines. #capitalism.
If I see one more article about "overly-cautious liberals" worried about their children returning to school full-time that doesn't acknowledge that children can't get vaccinated...
Ceetar

Post by Ceetar » Fri May 14, 2021 1:51 pm

Right?

We haven't yet been cautious _enough_! And I see plenty of "liberals" that are generally reasonable and pro-science or whatever follow along with like indoor dining late last year because the government said 25% is allowed, meanwhile cases are still spiking from SOMEWHERE.

But I know I fall on the more extreme public safety side. I'd mandate vaccines, hell, I'd have linked small business COVID relief to mandatory vaccination policies, and I'd push for mask mandates for flu outbreaks for all city subways and other crowded public-facing spaces/jobs. I'd push for education campaigns and posters for "if you feel a little sniffly in the morning, throw on a mask, your fellow commuters and coworkers will thank you!"

Barley Prose
Willets Point

Post by Willets Point » Fri May 14, 2021 2:00 pm

I hope masking becomes mainstream during flu season and outbreaks of things like norovirus and common colds. Not getting sick at all for the past 14 months has been really nice.

I mean if people could have the attitude: "Well, I felt a bit sick but I'm feeling up to going to work now, but I'll wear a mask just in case," that would be awesome.
Willets Point

Post by Willets Point » Fri May 14, 2021 2:05 pm

The fact that schools let out for summer in June is another reason the CDC should've just waited a month. Why have the last month of school be a time of mixed messages, confusion, and inconsistency when they can just relax the protocols after school's out for summer?
batmagadanleadoff

Post by batmagadanleadoff » Fri May 14, 2021 2:06 pm

Ceetar wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:51 pm
But I know I fall on the more extreme public safety side. I'd mandate vaccines....

There's a US Supreme Court case that might be about 100 years old but is still good law because it hasn't been overruled holding that the Gov't can force citizens to get vaccinated in health emergencies. I'm going by memory here. I think the case originated from Boston, or if not Boston, then Massachusetts.

Wonder what would happen if some Gov't agency or official tried to enforce that law today, in these times?
batmagadanleadoff

Post by batmagadanleadoff » Fri May 14, 2021 2:09 pm

Willets Point wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:00 pm I hope masking becomes mainstream during flu season and outbreaks of things like norovirus and common colds. Not getting sick at all for the past 14 months has been really nice.

I mean if people could have the attitude: "Well, I felt a bit sick but I'm feeling up to going to work now, but I'll wear a mask just in case," that would be awesome.
I'm thinking about continuing to wear a mask even after my vaccine "kicks in". There's a considerable belief in the medical community that covid, like the regular flu, will never be permanently eradicated and that the best case scenario going forward is for there to be what they are calling "a tolerable number of covid deaths every year".

This is so mainly because covid will continue to mutate and the vaccines probably won't confer immunity for more than a year or two.
Last edited by batmagadanleadoff on Fri May 14, 2021 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.