Brogna Can You Spare Some Time 2022

G-Fafif

Re: Brogna Can You Spare Some Time 2022

Post by G-Fafif » Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:25 am

Man of God Darryl Strawberry…

…suggests violence is the answer for the 2022 Mets.
“Come on, man, if they want to put a stop to their guys getting hit, somebody’s gotta charge the mound,” Strawberry said by phone. “I know the game is different now but at some point you have to let teams know that if they throw at you, they’re going to pay a price.

“That’s how we were. Teams didn’t like us because we were in New York and we were good and we took curtain calls, so they tried to test us by throwing at us and we put a stop to that real quick. We let them know we were going to fight them, all of us, and they were going to respect us.

“This team has beaten up on some teams early and I think they’re being tested. If you don’t make a statement, other teams are going to keep doing what they’re doing and think you’re a bunch of softies. You can’t have guys getting hit in the head and not do anything about it. So make your statement early: ‘You keep hitting us and we’re going to charge the mound and snap your neck.’“

As he indicated, Strawberry knows almost nobody charges the mound the way they did decades ago, in part because suspensions are so much lengthier -- and costly -- than they were at that time.

Still, he was emphatic in saying the need for action should supersede any concern about punishment.

“Who cares about a suspension?” Strawberry said. “You throw all that out the window when teams are throwing at you. And it doesn’t matter if it’s not intentional. Pitchers obviously are trying to throw up and in on them. You have to let them know, ‘we’re not going to allow you to keep hitting us.’

You go out there and pop them in the face and it does a couple of things. It did for us, anyway: it forces pitchers to back off from what they’re doing, and it becomes a bonding thing for a team. Once we established that we had each other’s backs and nobody was going to mess with us, we felt like we were never going to lose. It was part of who we were.

“I’m not saying this team has to be the animals that we were. I’d just like to see the Mets win again. It’s been a long time. The fans in New York deserve another championship. I’m glad to see this team is off to a good start. I played for Buck (Showalter) in ’95 (with the Yankees), so I know they’ve got a good manager.

“But it’s up to the players to form that bond, and this is the kind of thing that can help do that. It’s up to the players to say ‘the hell with this, we’re getting hit too many times.’“
https://sny.tv/articles/darryl-strawber ... arge-mound
Hope for the best. Expect the Mets.
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:49 am

You know, I've been tempted to charge the mound when Franklin Graham is doing the pitching.

Also worth noting that Darryl calls the St. Louis area home, and has been there for a while now.
A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.
Marshmallowmilkshake

Post by Marshmallowmilkshake » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:23 pm

Bruce Berenyi, hall-of-famer! Congrats to him for being inducted into the Glen Oaks Community College Athletic Hall of Fame.

https://www.glenoaks.edu/berenyi-to-be- ... ague-team/
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:18 pm

Fun Fact: It was the Bruce Berenyi acquisition that precipitated the Mets' release of Mike Torrez. I would guess that Torrez is the only Met pitcher to get unconditionally released in the same season in which he started the opener.

Cut loose before the All-Star Break, no less.
G-Fafif

Post by G-Fafif » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:45 pm

A slightly less ignominious exit: Pete Harnisch was bounced for a minor leaguer the same season he started Opening Day after he and Bobby V didn’t see eye to eye.
Willets Point

Post by Willets Point » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:18 pm

Every wax pack I opened in the 1980s had a Bruce Berenyi card in it.
G-Fafif

Post by G-Fafif » Tue May 03, 2022 12:58 pm

John Stearns still telling it like it is.
“1977 was really strange,” Stearns said. “They had old owners and they just thought if someone made $20,000 a year, that was way too much. They were old school. That’s what they were used to paying people. And the Seaver trade, I can’t imagine why anyone would do that. It was these old-school owners who didn’t want to stay up with the new money line in baseball and Seaver wanted to get paid. He needed to be the highest paid guy in baseball and they traded him. Seaver and I had hit it off and it was amazing catching him. It was awesome and he brought me a long way.

“We got all these players [for him] and it just didn’t work. I don’t think we had enough talent to be a contender after the Seaver deal. If you look at the players we got, how many turned out to be solid Major Leaguers? Doug Flynn was a good second baseman but he wasn’t a good hitter, Zachry wasn’t that good, Henderson had one good year and then wasn’t that good. It didn’t turn out to be a good deal.”
https://ballnine.com/2022/05/02/tackling-destiny/
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Fri May 06, 2022 7:18 pm

Disgraced short-time Met Kyle Farnsworth is... scouting ballplayers in Uganda, apparently.

This is an amusing kind of Twitter thread if you read it, with appearances by Megill's Mom, back and forth between fans, a few funny remarks and a pretty wild opening video

Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Fri May 06, 2022 9:50 pm

I had forgotten all about L'Affaire Farnsworth.
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Fri May 06, 2022 10:08 pm

Well, that thread made me stupider.
The Hot Corner

Post by The Hot Corner » Fri May 06, 2022 11:34 pm

Edgy MD wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:08 pm Well, that thread made me stupider.
Yup, me too.
When did the choices get so hard
With so much more at stake
Life gets mighty precious
When there's less of it to waste
G-Fafif

Post by G-Fafif » Sat May 07, 2022 2:50 pm

On this rainy Mets-Phillies weekend, not great John Stearns news, via Jay Horwitz:
Mets fans the Bad Dude needs your prayers and good thoughts. For years John Stearns gave his heart and soul to this organization and now he needs our support. John is currently in as assisted living facility in Denver and he is battling a tough disease.

This week his old high school ,Thomas Jefferson, retired his uniform Number 12 and John was able to attended the ceremonies.

His son told me that John loves hearing from his old fans so we have set something up on his Facebook Page where people can write.

John Stearns Facebook Page → https://bit.ly/3LYt0nM

The more notes, the happier Dude will be . So if you feel inclined please drop John a line or two. Know it will be deeply appreciated. Thinking of you my old friend.
https://metsinsider.mlblogs.com/sending ... 3b6f481628
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Sat May 07, 2022 3:15 pm

Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Sun May 08, 2022 8:23 am

Geez, sorry to hear John Stearns is ill.

I've told you this story before but one of my friends from high-school years (the singer whose band won 2 weeks on 'Star Search'!) was a wonderful musician who today does a piano-bar act in Florida. Through these he befriended John Stearns.

He told me all this when I was in Florida and popped into one of his shows-- first time we'd seen one another in decades. He pulls out his phone and goes "John Stearns loves to talk to fans!" and scrolls through his contacts and find the one that reads: "John Stearns, NY Mets Catcher." It's like 11 o'clock at night in a crowded noisy bar, but he calls him on the spot, and hands the phone to me. I was completely unprepared to discuss anything substantial but he was totally friendly-- funny story, and so can confirm he like hearing from fans.
roger_that

Post by roger_that » Sun May 08, 2022 8:42 am

Johnny Lunchbucket wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:23 am so can confirm he like hearing from fans.
Post the number your friend dialled, and we might test how many of his fans he likes hearing from.
“They had the easiest schedule on paper in MLB & they squandered it … It was still there for them last weekend when they went to ATL, all they had to do was win 1 game but their starting pitching... let them down, as it did this weekend.” Gary Cohen
MFS62

Post by MFS62 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:30 am

Mickey Callaway fired from a Mexican League managing gig after 33 games.
https://www.audacy.com/wfan/sports/mets ... 2UIOkGsjUQ

Later
"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness". William Lonsdale Watkinson
I have never insulted anyone. I simply describe them, accurately.
"They fear love because it creates a world they can't control" - George Orwell
G-Fafif

Post by G-Fafif » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:18 pm

Regrets? Gregg Jefferies has a few. More about his St. Louis days, but some thoughts on being a Met who did his way, perhaps to his detriment.
It was hard for Jefferies to retire and it was hard for him to join a veteran-laden, talented Mets team in the late 1980s. “I made a lot of mistakes. I had a terrible temper,” said Jefferies. “And I came in replacing one of the team favorites, Wally Backman.

“I wore my heart on my sleeves. I lived and died every good-and-bad game. And you can’t play baseball like that,” Jefferies said.

In a recent New York Post story by Joel Sherman, some of the Mets from that era apologized for the way they treated Jefferies. “He was not allowed to thrive in the way he should have. In retrospect it is a black mark on the team,” said pitcher Ron Darling.

“It was nice for them to admit that,” said Jefferies, “but I’ve never put the blame on them ever. For them to come out and say, ‘We treated this kid wrong,’ was nice to hear.

“They easily could said Jefferies was a brat or he was a punk, but they didn’t.”
https://www.stltoday.com/sports/basebal ... fc31f.html
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:29 pm

I saw a similar article a few months ago. It's good to see grace coming from both sides.

My takeaway from the Jefferies saga was to not just give a rookie a full-time job. If they found him work at second (against lefties), and at third (against righties), and waxed and waned his playing time as appropriate, it could have taken the target off his back from the outside, and the monkey off from the inside.

You hit enough, the opportunities will be there. Ask Luis Guillorme.
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:06 am

Not all rookies get shit on by the vets, but some do, and in those cases it's often about a personality issue. At some level, the vets must believe that personality will interfere with the player's/team's performance--even it comes out as uneasiness about taking another vets' job.

Milledge was another. Something about him didn't sit right with teammates.
G-Fafif

Post by G-Fafif » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:24 pm

Kyle Farnsworth is jacked, dude.
Well, the pitcher who was named baseball's toughest player in 2010 is even more intimidating now. After hanging up his cleats following the 2014 season, Farnsworth turned to semi-pro football. That wasn't enough, though: Now Farnsworth is a competitive bodybuilder.
https://www.mlb.com/news/kyle-farnswort ... jacked-now
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:44 pm

I completely forgot he was a Met for a spell. So unMetly he was. He was so unMetly that he made Jon Rauch seem Metly.

What a weird year that 2014 was for brief unMetly interlopers in the bullpen.
Johnny Lunchbucket

Post by Johnny Lunchbucket » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:37 pm

I always hated Farnsworth, one of those guys with tight skin and no hair on their bodies that looked like they smelled bad.

That MLB chatroom gag had him pinned. Another forgotten gem of baseball web 1.0.
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:51 pm

I just looked up the 2014 bullpen. We had periods of Farnsworth, Dice-Kloser, Jon LOLannan, Dana Eveland, and Who's-Your-Buddy Carlyle.

Lannan!
G-Fafif

Post by G-Fafif » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:34 am

Jose Valverde was briefly the 2014 closer, though his mentoring of an emerging Jeurys Familia was his longer-lasting legacy.
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:35 am

How did Valverde elude my listicle?

What a way station for journeymen we were operating that year.