What's in Store for Twenty-Four?: Tomás Nido

Edgy MD

What's in Store for Twenty-Four?: Tomás Nido

Post by Edgy MD » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:09 am

Five. I'm on my fifth Mets manager. Collinshallwayrojasshowaltermendoza. You say "Skipper" and that's the word that flashes through my mind. I don't know, but I imagine only Ed Kranepool and Ron Hodges have had more guys scribble their names halfheartedly into a lineup card. But that's the hand I've been dealt.

My story is well-written. I'm not incapable offensively, but I've never, ever been able to put together any sustained run of moderate success. If I remain in a backup role, my bat atrophies, but when forced into a starting role, it grows overexposed. The one time it seemed like I had it figured out was 2020, and then I got hurt. It's like ... I'm one adjustment away but everyone adjusts faster than me.

Defensively, I generally get high marks, but it doesn't really show up in the numbers, does it? Outside of blocking pitches in the dirt, no part of my defensive game really stands out.

I've got friends. I've known Lindor since youth baseball, and me and Diaz also got this Puerto Rican thing going. But how far is that going to get me? It's like people want me to better than I am. And I really suspect they're right — that I am better than I am. Or at least better than I've performed. But I'm now 30 years old and 277 games of Major League Baseball tells a pretty compelling story, no matter what anybody believes. Sometimes you've got everything going for you to be a Major League catcher except the personality to get in there and push everybody around. To express your authority. Franciso Álvarez can fail to hit for two months and nobody doubts that he's a big leaguer.

But again, now I'm 30. And a lot of pitchers on this staff have come up behind me. Maybe it's my time to take the proverbial bull by the horns. The apple by the stem. Yes my record tells a story despite what anybody believes, but I'm here to ask, what do you believe about my 2024? Because Álvarez is hurt, and the Mets didn't call on Austin Allen, Joe Hudson, Matt O'Neill, Kevin Parada, or Hayden Senger.

They called on me.

Again.

What do you believe?

A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a handful of rice.
Benjamin Grimm

Re: What's in Store for Twenty-Four?: Tomás Nido

Post by Benjamin Grimm » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:31 am

Edgy MD wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:09 am Five. I'm on my fifth Mets manager. Collinshallwayrojasshowaltermendoza. You say "Skipper" and that's the word that flashes through my mind. I don't know, but I imagine only Ed Kranepool and Ron Hodges have had more guys scribble their names halfheartedly into a lineup card. But that's the hand I've been dealt.
Mets players who have played for five or more managers:

Tom Seaver 9
Ed Kranepool 8
Jerry Grote 7
John Stearns 7
Ron Hodges 7
Jerry Koosman 7
Bud Harrelson 7
John Franco 7
Craig Swan 7
Todd Hundley 6
Rusty Staub 6
Dave Kingman 6
Jon Matlack 5
Tug McGraw 5
Tomas Nido 5
Pedro Feliciano 5
Brandon Nimmo 5
David Wright 5
John Milner 5
Jeff Innis 5
Hubie Brooks 5
David Cone 5
Jose Reyes 5
Cleon Jones 5
Howard Johnson 5

Seaver's nine would be Westrum, Parker, Hodges, Berra, McMillan, Frazier, Torre, Bamberger, and Howard. For Kranepool, we'd add Stengel and subtract Bamberger and Howard.
Fman99

Post by Fman99 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:42 am

Won't hit. Will wish he could bat 10th in the lineup
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:57 pm

Benjamin Grimm wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:31 am
Edgy MD wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:09 am Five. I'm on my fifth Mets manager. Collinshallwayrojasshowaltermendoza. You say "Skipper" and that's the word that flashes through my mind. I don't know, but I imagine only Ed Kranepool and Ron Hodges have had more guys scribble their names halfheartedly into a lineup card. But that's the hand I've been dealt.
Mets players who have played for five or more managers:

Tom Seaver 9
Ed Kranepool 8
Jerry Grote 7 ...
I mentioned some of these names to him, and Nido just looked away and mumbled something along the lines of "I wasn't counting interims ... ."

I was going to remind him that, hey, Frank Howard is a person, but he just looked so sad, and reminding him of the weakness of even this dubious claim to fame wasn't going to make him any less so.

Also nobody ever scribbled Tom Seaver's name halfheartedly onto a lineup card.
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:01 pm

Tomas Nido? More like "No Mas" Nido, as in we don't want any more of him!

.121, gone by June.
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:32 pm

Who are "we"?
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:21 pm

Are there still Mets fans that want him around?
Edgy MD

Post by Edgy MD » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:29 pm

I'm totally a Mets fan, so yes, certainly.

The alternatives being what they are, I welcome any contributions he can offer.
Cowtipper

Post by Cowtipper » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:44 pm

Is Ramon Castro available?